Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Write Up: Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L PSD.

442K views 240 replies 105 participants last post by  haywire17 
#1 · (Edited)
Background: I had my EGR Cooler fail on my 2007 F350, back in January of 2011. The write up you are about to read is a copulation of fixing my issue and months of researching and wanting to get all of these problems corrected. I wanted a bullet-proofing option that would fit into my budget, and keep the truck on the road for as long as possible.

Run down of the events: Basically it came down to me neglecting my truck, and not fully understanding the nature of the 6.0L’s pit falls. I had a clogged up oil cooler, and a 19* ECT/EOT delta was noted in my dealership troubleshooting efforts. I had a failed EGR cooler that was dumping coolant into my intake manifold and cylinders, and had a coolant pressure of 22 psi at WOT. This resulted in blown head gaskets, stretched head bolts, and a week and a haft of my truck sitting in a dealerships garage. Fortunately, Ford Motor Company paid the labor, and majority of the parts for this repair under the extended factory warranty. I was only billed for the cost of ARP Headstuds, and the cost of the rental for the time the shop had my truck.

What happens under the hood: Ford Gold Coolant contains silicates, which under the heat and stress of operation break down. The first place this gel gets to gather is in the internals of the stock oil cooler, in the narrow passages of the coolant/oil heat exchanger. This build up prevents proper coolant flow through the oil cooler, and deprives the EGR cooler of coolant. The welds in the EGR cooler rupture from overheating, and allow for coolant to flow into the intake manifold and into the cylinders. The coolant then vaporizes upon compression, and the resulting pressure is relived through the head gaskets, stretching the stock headbolts, and degas bottle cap.

Warning signs of EGR Cooler failure, which can lead to future Head Gasket failure:
-The first warning sign there is going to be an issue, is the ECT/EOT delta reaching 15*. This temp is only valid after running the truck up to operation temperature, and cruising around 65 mph. At that point you can stop the rest of the chain reaction by simply rebuilding you oil cooler.
-Loss of coolant (puking) through the degas bottle. (which may also be caused by flash boiling coolant under heavy throttle or high EGT's)
-Pressure in the Degas Bottle, hissing or blowing the cap off.
-White smoke coming from the exhaust.
Warning signs that you have a rupture in your oil cooler:
-Oil in your Coolant.
-Coolant in your Oil.

Prevention of this occurrence:
-Monitor your trucks vitals: EGT’s, ECT, and EOT are the three most vital things to watch for on these trucks. If you want to run additional gauges Boost, Transmission Temp, Fuel Pressure, and Oil Pressure can be added to that list as well. If you want a more cost effective method, go with a monitor like the Edge Insight CS/CTS. You’ll be able to monitor most of the vitals mentioned above (Not EGT, Fuel Pressure, or Oil Pressure due to lack of factory sensors), with the addition of things like FICM voltage, DTC’s, and the list goes on. EGT and Fuel Pressure are now available from Edge in their expandable probes. Another option for monitoring is the Scangauge II.

-Swapping over to a quality Extended Life Coolant (ELC): If there are no silicates to break down in your engine, then there are no silicates to clog up your oil cooler. Thoroughly flushing out the Fold Gold Coolant, and swapping over to a silicate-free ELC will do this for you. It is not a guarantee from later oil cooler issues, but its good piece of mind for your engine. You want to find a quality ELC, for example CAT Rated EC-1 fulfills the requirement. Fleetrite, Rotella, Zerex, Prestone, or Delco also offer a similarly rated ELC that will fit your application.
When flushing the Fold Gold here is a great thread to guide you through the process:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-maintanence-info/203548-flushing-cleaning-6-0-a.html

Note: At this point in the coolant swap it is recommended to rebuild your oil cooler and solve your EGR cooler (upgraded part, or deletion). Ensure you install your new/rebuilt oil cooler after this stage of the flush to prevent any of the silicate build up from entering the new internals of the oil cooler. Also, if you are going to install a coolant filter, this is a good opportunity to do so.

-Installing a Coolant Filter, dieselsite.com offers a complete coolant filtration system for a decent price. It is a bypass design, with a single easily changed filter. For the first nine months the system is installed, change this filter every three months. This will help get the sediment build up in the system gathered up. After that initial nine month period, filters are changed every year.

Driving Habits: The 6.0L does not respond well to be babied all the time. Soot from the exhaust will clog up the EGR valve, EGR cooler, and intake manifold. Rust will collect on the unison ring of the VGT. And you’ll end up losing power and patience in the long run. Every week or two, you need to get out on the road an open the truck up with a couple of WOT periods. This will help ensure the collections in the EGR valve are minimal, and the VGT opens a complete cycle which will also help prevent sticking of the vanes. Monitor the temps, suggested max temps are: ECT - 215*, Oil - 220*, Transmission - 200*, and EGT’s under 1250*. While short durations above 1250* are acceptable for EGT’s, these shouldn’t be routine or last longer than a few moments. When shutting the truck down, allow the EGT’s to drop below 400* to ensure longevity of the turbo by not baking oil.

Regular Maintenance: This engine runs best with fresh fluids and filters, unlike the 7.3L which could be neglected. Oil Changes every 5k, fuel filters every 10k. Run synthetic oil and that can be extended to 7.5k, and combined with a bypass oil filter even further with proper testing.

EGR Cooler Solutions: Here’s a brief run-down of the various methods to solve the issues with the EGR Cooler in these trucks:
Note: Any time your under the hood to the EGR cooler, you should go ahead and rebuild or replace your oil cooler. You are already tore the intake down to that level, and its worth the labor to get the oil cooler rebuilt. Also take the time to clean your EGR valve.
-Stock OEM: Prone to failure, radiator-like internals that coolant runs through, and exhaust gas flow exceeds coolant flow. There are better alternatives to replacing with another OEM part. Remains emission and street legal
-Bullet-Proof Diesel EGR Cooler: Upgraded cooler that has a near zero failure rate, the part is tested to 40psi. Design is a series of welded pipes that the exhaust gas passes through, and allows a lot more coolant to flow through the cooler. Based on a larger volume of this cooler being the coolant path. Remains emission and street legal.
-EGR Block offs: Blocks at both ends of the EGR cooler exhaust path. Still allows for the flow of coolant. May throw a CEL depending on vehicle strategy and tuner. Looks like the stock EGR. This is for Off-Road Use only.
-EGR Delete Kits: Various designs that replace the unit. Doesn’t allow for exhaust or coolant to flow, and blocks off the exhaust path from the up-pipe. Appearance varies with the design. This is for Off-Road Use only.

Onto each of the other known issues with the 6.0L, model years affected, and solutions:

Turbochargers: These trucks were equipped with a VGT, great for towing, but not a reliable as a waste gated turbo. Occasionally, the Vanes will stick creating a no boost, or over boost situation. Driving the vehicle regularly, and cycling the turbo through it full range under WOT helps to prevent some of this. This is typically handled by removing and cleaning the turbo.

Turbo Oil Lines: The 2003 and 2004 require an updated drain line, verified by checked for any indentations in the drain line as the updated part is smooth. Supply lines to all MY turbos should be checked for a flex joint in the line. Replacement of the turbo feed line will also require an updated oil cooler housing on the 2003 MY, the updated housing has a threaded bolt hole for the bolt that passes through the hole in the collar to hold the line in place. The new line is held in place by a collar and bolt. The 03 oil cooler cover lacks the threaded hole to secure the updated line.

Injectors: There are a number of things that has shortened the life span of stock injectors. This includes dirty oil, dirty fuel, low HPOP, and too much or too little fuel pressure. Little can be done to an injector once it goes south, these injectors are very difficult to rebuild for the professionals. Before saying they’re bad they are a few things you can try. Rev-X in your oil can sometimes free up an injector that’s sticking. Regularly use a cetane booster or fuel treatment. To prevent a loss of injectors due to fuel pressure, there is an updated fuel pressure regulator spring (blue spring) available from Ford.

FICM: Another neglected aspect of the 6.0L that will lead to hard/no-start conditions and injector failure. Voltage on your FICM shouldn't ever be below 45v during start up of the truck, and should rest between 47.5-48.5v while at idle or driving. Those members with units with a 53v or 58v powerboard, be advised that only 50v will be noticed by the PCM, and relayed to your Monitor. For those who have low voltage: 1) Check the batteries, ensure you are seeing proper voltage and good cranking amps. Once you verify the batteries, you have a few options to solve the problem: 1) Get the kit to rebuild the FICM from Bullet Proof Diesel, maintaining your logic board, and current FICM tuning. 2) Send your FICM to a repair location (FICMrepair.com has some good reviews) 3) Get a new updated/upgraded unit from IDP or Swamps. 4)Get a new FICM from Ford (not the best answer out there). -- This can easily be handled once you identify the issue due to how easy the FICM is to get to.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-performance-parts-discussion/264206-48v-vs-58v-ficm.html

HPOP (2005-2007): The press on STC fitting on these model years is prone to failure. When replacing this fitting with the updated kit, replace the stand pipes and the dummy plugs on the HPO system.

Stock Headbolts: This is a major design flaw in this engine that will show itself in any number of conditions. First of course is blowing the gaskets via an EGR cooler rupture. Others include over boosting, or over pressurizing the cylinders. The stock bolts are TTY, and stretch over the life of the engine and leads to the blowing of gaskets. Note: If you blow gaskets for any reason, do not allow a shop to reinstall the heads with new stock bolts, they will fail again.
Solution: This is the biggest job to bullet-proofing the engine.
-Three ways to do this job: Cab off- which is how most shops will do it. Cab on- which is how most DIY mechanics will tackle it. Remove the engine- most complicated and least desired way.
-When you remove the heads, have them taken to a machine shop. Verify they are flat, crack and warp free, and show no other signs of damage. Replace head(s) if necessary, if you do this job right you should only have to do this once.
-Install Ford OEM Headgaskets (Note: it has been brought to my attention that there have been failures with the Black Onyx gaskets, I am in the process of tracking this down prior to removing them from this point). For 2003 - Jan 2006 trucks ensure you have gaskets for 18mm dowels. For trucks after Jan 2006 use gaskets for 20mm dowels. There has been few issues with OEM gaskets when applied with headstuds. Here is a thread with one possible explanation why the aftermarket head gaskets are failing more often than OEM:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...lack-onyx-headgaskets-why-imho-they-fail.html

-ARP Headstuds: Critical you don’t reinstall heads with the stock bolts again. These studs won’t stretch like the TTY bolts will, and will provide you a level of confidence the heads aren’t going to let go again.
-If you haven’t, the head stud job is the best opportunity to swap to ELC, synthetic oil, solve the EGR cooler, rebuild your oil cooler, and tackle any of the other issues that need to be addressed at once. You may never need to take the engine this far apart again.

Remote Oil Cooler: This is the last step in fully bullet-proofing your 6.0L, but it is not necessary to have a reliable 6.0. There are a couple of good kits that remove the whole Coolant/Oil heat exchange process from the 6.0L. Bullet-Proof Diesel offers a quality remote oil cooler offered in either a condenser, or bumper mounted location (requires stock bumper and removal of fog lights), that allows for a air-oil heat exchange, and bypasses the stock location. The cooler is available with additional options to include a bypass filter and/or cold weather considerations (the cold weather kit includes a bypass valve and t-stat to maintain a minimum 180* oil temp). On the 2005-2007 year trucks, the condenser mount will also require retrofitting the power steering cooler to the 2003-2004 MY location. The cooler, and its hoses are available through the BPD website.

Determining 18mm or 20mm dowel pin size on a 6.0L Powerstroke:
Trucks built after Jan. 2006 have the updates for commonization with the 6.4L, here is a way to confirm weather your truck is the latest build.

If your truck has a 'yellow circle' type dipstick, along with 'UFO shaped' nuts that secure the FICM to the FICM brackeet, you have the late build 2006+ engine which uses 20mm engine block dowels which requires Ford Gasket part number *6C3Z-6051-AA*

If your truck has the black 'T-handle' type dipstick, along with an upper metal bracket that secures the FICM and air intake to the lower front FICM bracket, as well as another upper bracket at the back side of the engine, chances are you have an engine that uses 18mm dowel pins that require Ford Gasket part number *4C3Z-6051-EB*

Summary of minimal Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L:
-Installation of gauges or monitor like the Edge Insight CS/CTS.
-Coolant Swap to a silicate-free ELC. (ex. CAT EC-1)
-Installation of the Coolant Filter.
-Fresh filters, synthetic oil, and Rev-X oil treatment.
-Rebuild the Oil Cooler.
-Solve the EGR Cooler.
-Clean the EGR valve.
-Replace the turbo oil lines, as required.
-Replace the STC fitting, stand pipes, and dummy plugs (2005-2007).
-Updated Fuel Pressure Regulator Spring.

Taking that up to Headstuds:
-Verify the tolerances of the heads.
-Install with OEM Gaskets.
-Install with ARP Headstuds.

Fully Bullet-Proofing the 6.0L:
-Installation of a remote Oil Cooler, in either the condenser or bumper mount.
-Relocation of the power steering cooler, if required.
-Installation of a screw-on oil filter.
-Addition of the cold weather / by-pass filtration upgrades as desired.

Another thread I'd recommend reading is:
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-tech-files/173767-things-consider-about-owning-6-0l.html

Disclaimer: This is a public forum, use of this information is done so at the owner's risk. Prices and Products are subject to change.

Parts Listing: (Still a work in progress)
3C3Z-6A642-CA Oil Cooler Kit
3C3Z-6C683-AB HPOP Screen (Included in the Oil Cooler Kit)
4C3Z-9B246-F is the part number I found for the updated STC fitting with the IPR screen and o-rings.
3C3Z-9H529-A IPR SCREEN KIT (LIST $56.25)
3C3Z-9433-BE Intake Gasket Kit (Includes Turbo hardware)
3C3Z-9P455-AB EGR Gaskets
3C3Z-9T517-AG Fuel Pump Regulator Kit
6C3Z-9T515-A Turbo Drain Tube
3C3Z-9T516-A Turbo Oil Feed Line (LIST $157.41)
6.4 BANJO BOLTS (2)-W302472 bolts, (LIST $4.26 EACH)
6.4 BANJO WASHERS (4)-W303659 (LIST $.74 EACH)
3C3Z-8575-AA Thermostat (complete with housing, o ring) (LIST $42.35)
CC2610 FLEETGUARD RESTORE (LIST GALLON $29.75)
CC2638 FLEETGUARD RESTORE PLUS (LIST GALLON $32.97)
ZXED-1 OR ZRXED1 ZEREX ELC CAT EC-1 CONCENTRATE (LIST $19.99 X 4 GAL)
NT-EGRC-1 BULLETPROOF DIESEL EGR COOLER, SQUARE, (LIST $350 + $50 CORE CHARGE)

**And now we get to the cost of this whole package:
For what I refer to as the minimum every driver needs to do:
Edge Insight CS w/ EGT Probe ~440
Coolant Filter ~ $140
STC HPOP update and screen~$100 ('05-'07)
Replaced Turbo Lines ~ $140 - 250 (Depending on year)
Solution to EGR Cooler ~$350 (delete or Upgrade)
Intake and EGR Gaskets ~$140
Switch to ELC ~ $140
Rebuild of the Oil Cooler ~$220
Parts ~ $1320 Labor for a Oil Cooler rebuild is around 8 hrs (example $85 hr) ~$680
This portion of the job can be handled by the DIY mechanic with the right resources.

If you are talking full bullet proofing, without the Remote Oil Cooler:
ARP Studs ~$500
Ford OEM Gaskets ~$250
Intake Gaskets ~$140
Fuel Pump Regulator Upgrade ~$60
Banjo Bolts ~$14
Total Parts ~$2284 Labor on the Headstud job is around 30-38 Hrs (same rate $85 an hr) ~$3230. Plus the cost for the machinist to check and flatten the heads, replacement heads run around $1500 a piece.

Stepping up to the BPD Remote oil cooler:
Remote Oil Cooler ~$1900
Bypass Oil Filter ~$380
Power Steering Cooler Relocation ~$315 (Late '06's and '07 trucks)
Parts $2595 Labor is about 8 Hrs for this job (at $85 hr) ~680

These figures are an initial snapshot for ya. There are still fluids and odd parts that go into this. But this gives you a good idea what kinda money your going to invest in this project. If you can do the work yourself, or find a good mechanic to cut you a deal you can drop the cost of all this immensely.

*Prices are what I have seen advertised or was quoted, and are subject to change.*

Note: I'm linking this thread, as a number of good PDF files are currently being appended.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...sion/263961-how-step-step-bulletproofing.html
These files are for the '04 trucks, some differences may require cross-checking to other model years.

See less See more
#3 ·
looks good so far :thumb:

im in the same boat you were. im basically neglecting my truck because its still under warranty:doh::doh::doh:
i have the some sights of problems:dunno:

a little coolant is coming out of the cap (this is all on an economy tune)
pressure in the cap after the truck is cool
intake manifold is damp inside

going to find out my eot and ect tomorrow :please:

#4 ·
sounds real good man there is stuff in there i didnt know great write up...

#5 ·
Excellent write up! Alot of people will find this useful.

#6 ·
Awesome info. Heres some newb questions to fire at yall:

1. After switching to the ELC is it a neccessity to have the bypass filter? I dont want to cut corners but if I can save some cash until I can afford the BD one, I will.

2. With the EGR code being thrown after the delete, I understand a tuner like the SCT X3 would clear that code. Odd question being, does the tuner need to remain plugged to the ODBII while operating or is it just a simple flash and unplug until you want to change your tune?

3. How much coolant does the 6.0 hold? (how much should I buy :p)

4. Lastly (as you all shake your heads...) do you fill with new coolant before or after replacing the oil cooler?

Thanks for puttin up. Again, awesome article I wish I would have found this months ago!

#8 ·
1: It should be on there BEFORE the ELC, as in it should go on ASAP. I have the BPD oil cooler, deleted my EGR , have ELC installed, and I still have the coolant filter on it.

2: don't have a tuner, someone else will clear this one up, but I think it is a flash and disconnect type thing. The tunes will over-ride the EGR valve function and stop the codes.

3: 27.5 quarts capacity. Buy 4 gallons concentrate

4: After

#7 ·
Turbo Oil Lines (2003-2004): The first two years require updated oil supply and return lines to prevent overheating of the turbos.
That line is not entirely correct.

The old style oil supply line has a flexible stainless steel joint in it, and has been updated to a hard line all the way. This update will not fit the 03 model year without the separate purchase of an oil cooler cover from a later year due to how the turbo oil supply line attaches to the oil cooler cover.

Some trucks may need the updated turbo oil drain tube. (I do not have the years effected handy, someone may chime in here to toss this in?)The drain tube that will need to be replaced has restrictive bends in it. If it looks mandrel bent, it is fine, if it looks a little crimped in the bend, it should be replaced.

#22 ·
I'm just trying to get things figured out here and gathering my information in the event I need to replace my oil cooler. I have an '03, and I have the updated turbo oil drain tube, and planned to get the updated feed tube as well. I just want to verify that I WILL need a new oil cooler cover ('05-'07) to attach the new feed tube? Is anything else different with the new cover? Everything else will bolt right up as the '03? Same oil cooler, or are there differences between the '03 and newer? Does anyone have knowledge or experience with the IPR oil coolers?

Doug

#9 ·
colo_dually, go ahead and take the Black Onyx gaskets off the list. They are not holding up well at all, stick with OEM. Great writeup, though. :thumb:

#11 ·
Great write up Benjamin!:thumb:

#12 ·
Great write-up! I'm in the process of figuring out what to do with my Ex and this pretty much sums up what I've learned. Maybe we could add some parts numbers for the upgraded Ford parts? Or maybe that should go into a "how to" thread. :dunno:
Great job either way.

#13 ·
Great job, Benjamin! Once you get your write up all finished up, let me know and I will sticky it in the tech files. (If I do it now, I don't think you will be able to update it.)

#14 ·
I'm working on finding all the part numbers for the Ford OEM parts and Ford upgrades. I think that would help a lot of folks out, and make sure they have the right parts.

As far as putting this in the tech files, I don't know if it would be easier on new members to find there, or in the General section of the 6.0. Either way I'll let ya know when its polished up the way I want it.

#15 · (Edited)
Warning signs of EGR Cooler and future Head Gasket failure:
-The first warning sign there is going to be an issue, is the ECT/EOT delta reaching 15*. This temp is only valid after running the truck up to operation temperature, and cruising around 65 mph. At that point you can stop the rest of the chain reaction by simply rebuilding you oil cooler. Not really an issue that is DIRECTLY related to HG issues. Oil cooler clogging YES, EGR cooler failure (potentially) YES.

-Loss of coolant (puking) through the degas bottle. Sometimes related to the coolant flash boiling under heavy throttle/ high EGT's.

-Oil in your Coolant.
-Coolant in your Oil.
-White smoke coming from the exhaust.
-Pressure in the Degas Bottle, hissing or blowing the cap off.
-Bullet-Proof Diesel EGR Cooler: Upgraded cooler that has a near zero failure rate, the part is tested to 40psi. Design is a series of welded pipes that the exhaust gas passes through, and allows a lot more coolant to flow through the cooler. Coolant is only going to flow as fast as it is already moving since flow is directly related to the oil cooler and water pump output. Reduces the amount of exhaust gas introduced back into the intake. I doubt there is any real data or evidence that backs this up.
Remains emission and street legal.
HPOP (2005-2007): The press on SCT fitting on these model years is prone to failure. Job#2 2006 and 2007MY trucks already have the updated fitting.
When replacing this fitting with the updated kit, replace the stand pipes and the dummy plugs on the HPO system.
Remote Oil Cooler: There are a couple of good kits that remove the whole Coolant/Oil heat exchange entirely. This is the last step in fully bullet-proofing your 6.0L, but it is not necessary to have a reliable 6.0. Bullet-Proof Diesel offers a quality remote oil cooler, that allows for a air-oil heat exchange, and bypasses the stock location. The cooler is available in a condenser or bumper mount location, with additional options to include a bypass filter and/or cold weather considerations. For the cost of this kit I can do SEVERAL OEM oil cooler replacements over several hundred thousands of miles. Take into consideration swapping to ELC when you use a new OEM oil cooler and the clogging issue should become a non-issue. Besides increasing the interval of flushing (even the Gold coolant) will be cheaper in the long run.

Highlighted and responses.

#17 ·
Thanks, I'll get these updated, and I appreciate the feed back. I may have to break up some the EGR failure and HG failure signs, so I don't confuse folks.

I cover a lot of this information here. http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-tech-files/173767-things-consider-about-owning-6-0l.html It wasn't meant to be an all encompassing bulletproofing when I wrote it, just a response to some talk in a thread on 6.0 issues.

Anything that makes it easier for people to understand the idiosyncrasies of the 6.0 is a great addition to the site. Doing a parts listing with part numbers is a great idea. Nice work.
Thanks, I am looking to be a little more comprehensive and figured this thread would be well received.

#16 ·
#21 ·
I'm tracking down the 2006-Job #2 trucks in regards to having the updated fitting, this was the first I heard of it. Also updated the post with a couple of part numbers for the updated turbo feed and drain lines.

#24 ·
Does anyone have the part number for the '05-'07 oil cooler assembly cover? Or have one they would like to part with? This way I can update the turbo oil feed tube.

#28 ·
Still tracking down that question about the '06-'07 and the SCT fitting, as well as tracking down more part numbers. If the update was made, it would most likely apply to trucks made after Jan '06, when the factory made the switch over to 20mm dowels on the heads.

#30 ·
...as well as tracking down more part numbers.
Here are some of the part numbers, in case you need them. I will PM you or post local ford prices as well when I pick it all up, to give guys a ball park figure on cost of the parts. They quoted one price, but I told them I could get a better price online, but prefer to support the local businesses so they gave me wholesale or close to it.

Here are the parts I ordered:
3C3Z-6A642-CA Oil Cooler Kit
3C3Z-6C683-AB HPOP Screen
3C3Z-9433-BE Intake Gasket Kit (Includes Turbo hardware)
3C3Z-9T517-AG Fuel Pump Regulator Kit
6C3Z-9T515-A Turbo Drain Tube
3c3z-9P455-AB EGR Gaskets
6.4 BANJO BOLTS (2)-W302472 bolts, $4.26 EACH
6.4 BANJO WASHERS (4)-W303659 $.74 EACH

Here is what I still need to get:
Turbo Oil Feed Line Part # 3C3Z-9T516-A ($76.96 @ Tousley Ford, don't have the local price yet)
And I still need to get part numbers and prices for:

New thermostat:

Intercooler hoses:
Turbo to IC-
Cold side IC-
Hot side IC-
Hot side to intake elbow-

#31 ·
This is a great thread. Adding the part numbers will help everyone out quite a bit. Good job!

#35 ·
I believe the part # for the thermostat is 3C3Z-8575-AA.

What about the IPR screen and O-rings, are these parts that are prone to fail or just one of those 'since you're in there' parts that could be replaced if you feel like it?
EDIT -HA HA just saw the posts above... never mind!

Reactions: Flamed99
#36 ·
4C3Z-9B246-F is the part number I found for the updated STC fitting with the IPR screen and o-riings.

#37 ·
Thanks for everyone's assistance with the part numbers.

When I get the chance to sit down and cross-check them, I'll update the first post.

#39 ·
Alright, just got back from Ford, so here is updated part numbers, list cost, and the price I paid. This will give a baseline of what to be prepared for.

3C3Z-6A642-CA Oil Cooler Kit (LIST 388.80, PAID 248.83)
3C3Z-6C683-AB HPOP Screen (LIST 15.40, PAID 7.88 {STORE CREDIT})
3C3Z-9433-BE Intake Gasket Kit (Includes Turbo hardware) (LIST 164.27, PAID 101.24) (I ACTUALLY GOT BH, MAYBE UPDATED #?)
3C3Z-9T517-AG Fuel Pump Regulator Kit (LIST 105.75, PAID 60.16)
6C3Z-9T515-A Turbo Drain Tube (LIST 42.75, PAID 24.32)
3c3z-9P455-AB EGR Gaskets (LIST 12.70, PAID 6.50)
(2)-W302472 6.4 BANJO BOLTS (LIST 8.33 EACH, PAID 4.26 EACH)
(4)-W303659 6.4 BANJO WASHERS (LIST 2.03 EACH, PAID .74 EACH)
3C3Z-9T516-A Turbo Oil Feed Line (LIST 157.41, PAID 89.55)
3C3Z-8575-AA Thermostat (complete with housing, o ring) (LIST 42.35, PAID 24.09)
3C3Z-9H529-A IPR SCREEN KIT (LIST 56.25, PAID 32.00)

CC2610 FLEETGUARD RESTORE (GALLON 29.75)
CC2638 FLEETGUARD RESTORE PLUS (GALLON 32.97)
ZXED-1 OR ZRXED1 ZEREX ELC CAT EC-1 CONCENTRATE (19.99 X 4 GAL)

NT-EGRC-1 BULLETPROOF DIESEL EGR COOLER, SQUARE, ($350 + $50 CORE CHARGE)

The IPR screen was crazy expensive, for all it is... A small screen the size of a nickel, with a few o rings. $32. Oh well. Hope this helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.