48v vs 58v FICM - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Performance Parts Discussion What has or has not worked for you?

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 11:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
48v vs 58v FICM

I have done the search and came up with a lot of results. None of them had anything to do with what the truck owners had to say.

If you have a 58v FICM have you seen any type of issue? does the extra voltage to the injectors cause them to have a shortened life span?

to you guys with a NON- OEM FICM, why did you choose to go with the 48v over 58v? other than "playing it safe"

I have read that the 58v will advance timing causeing better fuel economy and the 58v will allow for better starts and smoother running.

Can someone point out a valid reason NOT to go with a 58v over the 48v?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 12:03 PM
BACKYARDIGAN

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
There is no negative reason to say to not go with a 58v FICM. But it definitely is not required over a healthy 48v FICM. I would only say to do it if you are rebuilding your FICM but there isnt a reason to if your 48v unit is still good. Just get it tuned. JMO.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:06 PM

My BulletProofDiesel FICM just got delievered and i am trying to decide if i want to run 48v, 53v, or 58v because the FICM is adjustable. my OEM is toast
Old 08-10-2012, 12:11 PM

you may throw a soft code at 58

i don't know about the 53

I noticed no real gains .. I wanted the 6 phase redundancy and opted for the 58 in about 2 seconds when I was at BPD and they offered to chuck it in my truck on their dime ( sooo nice when I was going to do it in my driveway at AZ temps )

I probably would do the 53 or 48 if I ever pull it out but that would require a resolder for 53
or cut the last jumper to go back to 48
Old 08-10-2012, 12:20 PM

I am sure you have seen swamps pdf

http://www.swampsdiesel.com/files/FICM_FAQs.pdf
Old 08-10-2012, 12:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to STRKTHS73
i run a 58V my truck throws an over voltage soft code for it but i did notice better starts and a tad bit better throttle response an fuel economy only reason i did a 58 was because my 48 was shot an i figured might as well upgrade IMO
natedog82 likes this.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Turbos = Witchcraft

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
IMO, there is really no performance gain to using a 58V over a 48V, particularily if your FICM is tuned. The 58V would cause the injector to open slighlty faster, in effect advancing the timing ever so slightly. I can't think of anyone who has done a direct comparison of a good 48V vs. a good 58V to see a difference. Generally you sdon't replace the FICM until it is losing voltage, so the most people can usually say is their truck feels stronger after they replaced their failing 48V with a new 58V... duh...

If you have ever talked to Ed at FICMRepair.com, you know that he is opposed to using any kind of higher voltage FICM. In my experience, I have found Ed to be one of the most knowledgeable people when it comes to FICMs. Here is an exerpt from his homepage that pretty much tells you his opinion:

Voltage Upgrades

There are other FICM repair options that talk about the benefits of upgrading the voltage on your FICM. In fact, following consumer demand, we used to offer these voltage upgrades as well. What we've learned over time, though, is that it is just a bad idea. These modules get hot enough as a result of sitting atop the engine - stressing them further by adding additional heat is just not a recipe for success.

Though we've seen just a few failures post-upgrade, a few is a few too many. Do yourself a favor and skip the upgrade. If you are having issues with injector stiction (the sticking of injectors when the engine is cold), consider migrating to a 10W30 or, better yet, a 5W40 synthetic oil instead of changing the voltage on these units. Interestingly enough, the injectors are driven by oil in the 6.0 design. Keeping the lightest weight of oil possible along with keeping it regularly changed will go a long way towards engine longevity

Just food for thought.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have mine at 58v from bpd. i really cant tell the difference.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Banned

Go with the 58v man, we have done five trucks in the shop now, all the guys liked it. thanks calvin
Old 08-10-2012, 01:16 PM

On my 6 phase BPD, with the extra reliability measures built in,I could not see a downside. The truck runs better, wether because of voltage, or cleaner power, I do not know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.