post #1 of 17 Old 02-29-2016, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Thanked 1,029 Times in 925 Posts
Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 1568 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
6.0 Harness Chafing

The topic of harness chafing has popped up in a couple of threads today. @mikeb01453 suggested posting information as a separate thread (this one). It seemed better than filling both of those threads with the same info.

So... the topic is chafing. Post whatever info or suggestions or comments ya got.

I'll start.

Chafing in general
Chafing points are an issue on any vehicle. They have specific importance on a turbo diesel due to vibration and heat - bad combo.

There are two documents that I have run across. I have attached them. They are:

Powerstroke 6L Wire Chafing - TSB 041806.pdf - A Ford TSB describing chafing as an issue
Powerstroke 6L Wire Chafing Locations.pdf - A photo document that some nice 6.0 person put together

In short, you are looking for a situation like this:

...that has lead - or could lead - to a situation like this...

...with the intention of repairing - if needed - and reinforcing forever.

The attached photo document shows the locations that the author felt were important. When I was doing my oil cooler relocation, I referenced the document but also just traced along the assorted harnesses looking for my own issues.

A lot of addressing harness issues is making sure the the original clips - intended to affix a point on a harness to a nearby unrelated hole or threaded stud - are in place and position. The anchors/clips look something like this before being taped to the harness:

...which is the kind that anchors to a hole. The kind that pushes onto a stud is particularly important because the stud that will hold the wire when properly attached will usually destroy the wire when not properly attached.

Often people working on vehicles will not take the time to reattach the harness clips to the attachment points.

My chafing elimination effort
I did not have any harness problem of which I was aware when I became interested in this. I was getting ready to do my oil cooler relocation and it seemed a great time to give the harness a good checking over.

I used the picture document as a jumping off point. But, mostly, I went along each harness to look for wear or causes of future concern - places where chafing might occur in the future. Wear points were repaired or retaped. Then, for those points and the points of concern, I reinforced the contact points.

My approach was to use short lengths (2"-4") of flexible PVC tubing of varying diameters (1", 3/4", 1/2") that I had cut into partial circumference segments that were typically 1/4 - 1/2 of the total. I put these segments against the harness bundle at the wear point (real or future) and affixed them with friction tape.

PVC tubing as purchase at Ace:

Partial circumference segments (viewed from the end):

I still look at those points when doing other maintenance and everything seems secure. If would take a lot of vibration and force for a stud to push through PVC, of course!

My harness problem immediately after my cooler relocation
I did run into one further harness issue soon after my oil cooler work was done. Symptom: Random stall while driving and at speed. Always when the vehicle was not completely warm ~ ECT=120F. Sometimes it would restart immediately. Sometimes, it required a wait.

I really didn't want to keep driving it because stalling is not fun. But I knew that I would not be able to find the problem unless I could experiment with the failure and monitor what was happening when it occurred. I could not see an HPOP pressure loss before the stall, but I could see that it would not build pressure when it did not start.

I found that I could force a restart if I pushed on the injector harness ground wire that affixes to the DS rear intake stud. That meant it was time to dig in.

It ended not being that wire at all, though...

Fairly forward in the injector harness where the IPR valve pigtail merges in to the main bundle, the insulation had melted due to heat. Some time before I had bought the truck, someone had not reattached the injector harness anchor point and the heat at the unsecured position melted the wire inside the outer casing. I suspect that my moving the harness during my oil cooler relocation aggravated the situation.

Pushing on the ground wire was actually moving the IPR valve wire way forward at the main injector harness bundle and allowing the restart. Such is the nature of harness problems.

So... I soldered a new high temp wire segment in place, insulated the solder connections, rewrapped with heat shield, reattached the harness anchor point, reinforced the possible points of contact with PVC tubing segments, and friction taped them in place.

Because of the attention that I devoted to chafing points - which really did not take so much time - I am not so worried about future chafing issues. I'll continue to look around for new points, though.

The PVC tubing segment approach is only my way of doing it. I am interested to know what else works and what might be better.

As stated way up top, please add to this in whatever way - approaches, locations, pictures, symptoms, etc.

...and, if you are the author of the picture document, please announce yourself and take a bow.

Hope this helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Powerstroke 6L Wire Chafing - TSB 041806.pdf (111.2 KB, 2053 views)
File Type: pdf Powerstroke 6L Wire Chafing Locations.pdf (856.3 KB, 2144 views)

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT

Last edited by djmaguire; 05-10-2018 at 09:52 AM. Reason: photo link craziness
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to djmaguire For This Useful Post:
bismic (02-01-2018), Davenew (05-25-2016), G8orFord (02-29-2016), hummer010 (07-05-2016), john galt (02-02-2018), NYC F-350 (02-29-2016), Slaven131 (09-07-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 02-29-2016, 04:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Awesome write up djmaguire. I will certainly look into my harness now and hopefully be able to positively add to this post. Thanks a ton. And this should definitely be a sticky!
john galt and djmaguire like this.

Mike

07 F350 Crew Cab Long bed Dually XLT ZF6
Coolant filtration, MBRP 5" Turbo Back, Harley Grill, egr delete, harley headlights, UCF oringed heads with ARP studs and oem gaskets, 08 taillights, LED cab lights, 08 plus mirrors, 2" level on 33" Cooper STT Pros, and sct x3 with custom tunes.

03 f350 SRW Sold
05 Dually F350 Sold to my father (Hopefully he takes care of her)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mikeb01453; 02-29-2016 at 04:28 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 02-29-2016, 04:42 PM
'consent of the governed'

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 2101 Post(s)
Garage
Damn fine write up!
Bought my 2004 at the end of 2008 and soon after had to chase all kinds of chafing problems (thank God for this site and some troubleshooting skills). So...I had my entire engine wiring harness replaced in 2010 for reliability and put vacuum caps over a bunch of studs etc. that were anywhere near the harness. I also love and use split loom convoluted tubing on more than just my truck.

Non Compos Mentis
I occasionally use incorrect grammer and/or punctuation just to see if anyone notices. So far no one noticed I spelled grammar wrong.
My truck is too big for your screen.

Garysinisefoundation.org-----Independencefund.org-----Fisherhouse.org-----Shadowwarriorsproject.org-----shrinershospitalsforchildren.org

I invented a carbon sequestration device. I'm calling it 'tree'.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot View Post
There's a box?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyS0b View Post
Patriot... The box used to be a padded room for you before you managed to escape. Now they are too afraid to try and contain you again. Not to mention its way too much fun to just let you run wild.
Quote:
What the heck is a Hy-Vee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mo View Post
Hey man, I know you're as blunt as they come, and these days that's a quality as a man I do appreciate, and i think most of us do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post
you may not be quite right in the head by societal standards

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 02-29-2016, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,036 Times in 965 Posts
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 2459 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^I'd ask where else you use it, but I don't think I want to know.

Very nice write up DJ.
john galt and djmaguire like this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #5 of 17 Old 02-29-2016, 05:12 PM
'consent of the governed'

Mentioned: 269 Post(s)
Quoted: 2101 Post(s)
Garage
I use it evvvvvvverywhere.
john galt and SparkyF250 like this.

Non Compos Mentis
I occasionally use incorrect grammer and/or punctuation just to see if anyone notices. So far no one noticed I spelled grammar wrong.
My truck is too big for your screen.

Garysinisefoundation.org-----Independencefund.org-----Fisherhouse.org-----Shadowwarriorsproject.org-----shrinershospitalsforchildren.org

I invented a carbon sequestration device. I'm calling it 'tree'.
Quote:
There's a box?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyS0b View Post
Patriot... The box used to be a padded room for you before you managed to escape. Now they are too afraid to try and contain you again. Not to mention its way too much fun to just let you run wild.
Quote:
What the heck is a Hy-Vee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mo View Post
Hey man, I know you're as blunt as they come, and these days that's a quality as a man I do appreciate, and i think most of us do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by john galt View Post
you may not be quite right in the head by societal standards

post #6 of 17 Old 02-29-2016, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,036 Times in 965 Posts
Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 2459 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's what I was afraid of...

AND why I didn't ask.
john galt and SparkyF250 like this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
SPD)

FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
post #7 of 17 Old 03-03-2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
I thought that I would add links to threads of chafing problems that people have successfully solved - 6.0 or otherwise - as they pop up. Here is one from tonight:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/99-...l#post13265026

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #8 of 17 Old 03-04-2016, 05:48 PM
AMERICA!

Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quoted: 1738 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Thanks for creating this thread Maguire, great info for anyone having issues. Definitely sticky worthy... Which it will now be.
john galt likes this.

2004 F250 CC Lariat 4x4

BPD FICM, BPD billet water pump, BPD VK688 oil cooler kit, S&B CAI, MTW stage 2, TSD tunes, Auto Meter gauges, Edge CTS, Sinister coolant filter, Blue spring, 6.4 banjo bolts, Straight piped w/ 6" single mitre stack, Pro Comp leveling kit, 05-07 HD headlights, Xenon-Vision 5k HIDs, Fumoto block drain valves, ELC, High idle mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaguire View Post
I'm guessing that you didn't lose nearly as much as it appeared. Spills are like that. The last beer that I spilled was like a million ounces.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattlesnake18 For This Useful Post:
djmaguire (03-04-2016)
post #9 of 17 Old 05-07-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
I was posting to a thread about FICM harness chafing and provided a document that may be useful to others. It is attached below. It is a single page that came from International's FICM Tech Guide.

That document is too big to attach, but can be found here: https://swampsdiesel.com/files/Fordficm.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 6.0L Fuel Injection Control Module Tech Guide - Chafing Points.pdf (1.37 MB, 1474 views)

2004 F550 CC Lariat
post #10 of 17 Old 04-20-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
I was scanning an old pile of random paperwork and ran across instructions from an official Ford Wiring Repair Kit. The instructions even have a Ford part number (SK-1W7J-14B475-AA). It came with a connector that I bought.

Anyway, it seemed possibly of interest so it is attached...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SK-1W7J-14B475-AA Ford Wiring Repair Kit Instructions.PDF (470.4 KB, 724 views)
Patriot and john galt like this.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
6.0 , chafing , harness , shorting , wires

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in