6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 06-01-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck just shut off lost all gauges no power.

Hey guys Iím new here to the forum and really need some help.

I have an 05 f250 6.0 with 90k miles on it.

Yesterday I was driving and towing my boat and got literally a 100 yards from the boat ramp and out of no where the truck just dies. I lost all my gauges no odometer no crank and I donít hear my injectors. I do have stereo which is aftermarket with sound system the blower for ac still works power windows locks and lights still work. I found fuse #116 blown, I replaced it tried to re-key and pops another 30 amp fuse. My owners guide says 116 is a ignition switch. I believe I have a short somewhere but I canít find it. I checked for shorts on fuse 116 terminal (black lead on my DMM on chassis ground and red on bottom fuse contact) and I get a 6.0 read out with key on run but get OL when I either turn key off or disconnect ignition switch. I am spinning my wheels at this point any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-03-2019, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Any help would be very appreciated
post #3 of 13 Old 06-03-2019, 12:22 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,080 Times in 1,008 Posts
Mentioned: 204 Post(s)
Quoted: 2583 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yes, you have a short. I'm not trying to be a smartass, but there's not a lot we can do over the internet to find your short. @djmaguire probably had the wiring diagram you need, but you're going to have to trace it down yourself. A "throw parts at it" approach would be to replace the ignition switch on the lower column first. I don't think they're very expensive, so it's not a huge gamble. Having said that, the way you describe the failure doesn't really sound like a switch, but more like a wire that finally chafed through.
john galt, jokester00 and Junior84 like this.

Dexter
2017 F-250 Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW- A few Forscan tweaks
My old Truck, now son's truck:
2004 F-250SD Lariat CCSB FX4 SRW; SCT X4 w/custom tunes (currently
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SPD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FICM;
FICM Tuner (currently Atlas40);
Stage 1.5 Turbo;

Stage 1 HPOP;
VK688 Oil Cooler Relocate with coolant re-route;
Water Pump;

O-ringed Heads; ARP Studs; Fel-Pro Gaskets;
Coolant Filter;
DashCommand on PLX Kiwi2 + iMFD with EGT & Fuel/Oil Pressure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 06-03-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the response.

Yup tried the ignition switch as it was only $35 but no dice didn’t think it was but worth a shot lol

I do agree with the chaffing I’ve been for the last three days trying to physically find it and it’s driving me insane. I will keep looking.
@djmaguire do you have these diagrams that G8orford is referring to? I would really appreciate the help.

Last edited by Junior84; 06-03-2019 at 02:28 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-03-2019, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,066 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sorry for delay. I tried to get on earlier in the day and got a "database error."

I posted what I have here:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...2004-ymmv.html

The wiring schematics are images so the only search is with your eyes.
G8orFord likes this.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #6 of 13 Old 06-03-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No worries. These are awesome thank you so much @djmaguire @G8orFord . Seeing these just boosted my confidence. Thanks again I will update as soon as I figure something out.
post #7 of 13 Old 06-07-2019, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quick update. I ran through the complete Circuit (fuse 116) the fuel heater relay was pulled by previous owner I’m assuming. I disconnected the Ficm and was still ringing out on continuity from bottom prong on fuse 116 to ground. I disconnected they main harness from the cab to the engine bay and boom got the much needed “OL” on the meter. I followed the harness all the way up to the Ficm connectors and halfway back to the main connector I finally found the short. There is a stud on the valve cover on left side of motor closest to the front of the truck and that stud had worked it’s way into the harness. Repaired the harness and secured from getting close to that stud again. Problem solved! Big thanks to @G8orFord and @djmaguire you guys are awesome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20AA668F-9578-4B7E-A3DE-72060046E343_1559971419881.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	719739   Click image for larger version

Name:	7E811F46-07F3-4378-8126-53EC9241332F_1559971443418.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	719741  
kaya, G8orFord, djmaguire and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Junior84; 06-07-2019 at 10:27 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Junior84 For This Useful Post:
G8orFord (06-08-2019)
post #8 of 13 Old 06-08-2019, 02:00 AM
Premium Member

Thanked 1,066 Times in 939 Posts
Mentioned: 278 Post(s)
Quoted: 1588 Post(s)
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Glad to read. I added a link back to this thread on my chafing thread here:

https://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...l#post16292943

I should've referred to the chafing thread earlier, but you did great without.

2004 F550 CC Lariat
BPD oil cooler relocation and upgraded EGR cooler (spooled), BPD oil bypass filtration, aFe Magnum Force CAI, Mishi radiator, 7.3L fan clutch, EC1 ELC, XDP coolant bypass filtration, '08 trans pan/filter, PTP direct clutch solenoid, blue spring, 6.4 starter, MBRP y-pipe, BD boots/clamps, '05 intake elbow, ccv reroute, Torque Pro + OBDLinkô LX, Autometer EGT
post #9 of 13 Old 06-08-2019, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thank you sir!
post #10 of 13 Old 06-08-2019, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior84 View Post
Quick update. I ran through the complete Circuit (fuse 116) the fuel heater relay was pulled by previous owner Iím assuming. I disconnected the Ficm and was still ringing out on continuity from bottom prong on fuse 116 to ground. I disconnected they main harness from the cab to the engine bay and boom got the much needed ďOLĒ on the meter. I followed the harness all the way up to the Ficm connectors and halfway back to the main connector I finally found the short. There is a stud on the valve cover on left side of motor closest to the front of the truck and that stud had worked itís way into the harness. Repaired the harness and secured from getting close to that stud again. Problem solved! Big thanks to @G8orFord and @djmaguire you guys are awesome!
Iíve been watching diesel tech Ron videos on YouTube and he mentions to make sure those studs are in the correct position on valve cover just for this reason.

2007 F250 Extended Cab 4x4 6.0L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode