Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May 13, 2015

In light of the numerous threads, posts etc. asking “what head gasket to run” with no solid answers, we decided to try and gather all the information we could about each gasket in question. This is intended to give everyone as much information as possible so that they may make their own informed decisions. The details below are of each head gasket that were measured and used, complete with measurements, pictures, and our observations.

It should be noted that the measurements of each layer of the gaskets were done on bare metal, and noted where the fire ring was present. ALL gaskets used were 18mm, for consistency’s sake. All 4 gaskets were sourced from 4 separate suppliers to ensure nothing was biased. All gaskets were labeled as the top (1st) layer being the layer with the part number; all other stamps are noted on the layer they were found. All gaskets were measured by 1 person to ensure consistency in human error, and all measurements were taken and are to be read in inches.

(NOTE: Page 2 is not an image, as it is the introduction written above. It is page 2 in the full PDF of this write up.)

Summary of Head Gasket Comparison

In summary, we noticed a few things:

Between 2012 and 2015, Victor Reinz has notably changed their gasket manufacturing. Two main changes are observed, the first being the measured thicknesses of each layer of the gasket, especially the 4th layer fire ring. This contributes to the difference in the overall thickness of the assembled head gasket as well. The second change is the absence of a completely sealant covered gasket layer; present in 2012, and now absent in 2015. These differences, when compared to the Black Diamond and River City Diesel Platinum gaskets, gives credibility to the idea that these (in addition to OEM gaskets) are all manufactured in the same place.

The Black Diamond, River City Diesel, and OEM gaskets all contained the stamped part number 6237557 on the second layer.

The Black Diamond and River City Diesel gaskets both had the part number 54450A VR This part number was the same part number found on the old Black Onyx head gaskets.

All 4 gaskets had sealant on both sides of layers 1, 3, and 5. Layers 2 and 4 were bare metal with no sealant present. Layer 4 of each gasket had a fire ring.

The Felpro gasket was the only one that contained copper inserts in the push rod holes.
The measured thickness of the Felpro 4th layer fire ring is also worth noting. The 4th layer fire ring measured at 0.0188. This is important in our opinion as the fire ring’s “fold” creates an area where more clamping force is applied, resulting in a stronger more complete seal. This most likely is important in how well the head gasket seals, lasts, and should actually perform better than all the other gaskets.

Final Comparison Chart:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't remember who it was, but someone did it years ago when the black onyx gaskets started showing problems over OEM. But nothing has been done recently after revisions had been made.
The lack of complete info on the market, and that thread, spawned this thread. :)

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was just wondering if u had to buy all of them or if the vender help you out bc that would be petty cool of them. if you did thank it good info
This was purely for informational purposes, and involving outside vendors would have felt like it was "tainted" info. The gaskets were purchased like any other customer would. ;)

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
DANG IT!!!!

You beat me to this Pinky!!! I have all the gaskets at the shop sitting there going to do the same exact thing, but been way to busy to care about it. I have been saying since the BD gaskets came out that they were same as Ford and was even the first guy on this forum to try them in my 6.0. I was met with all the wonderful crap from the "OE" ONLY crowd, but stuck to my guns. Maybe now people will stop recommending paying an additional 150bucks for some cardboard and ford sticker...........

Also....

GLAD THIS IS STUCK!!!!
:haha: It was making me crazy, so we did something about it! :)

Great info Pinky! Love it!
Thanks, sugar! :)

You forgot the free set of paperweights that come included with the OE set :nod:
:hehe:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
opk just a couple points here
1)
awesome right up and research thanks SO much for doing this.
side note i am very interested to see if anyone has an extra set of heads lying around so we can check the fel pro coolant passage against the actual head as mentioned above. I know i have used fel pro on gassers fro decades with no problems but...these are certainly a different animal
and
2)
4 PAGES OF COMMENTS AND NOT ONE MENTION OF THE FREAKIN TANK OUT SIDE YOUR KITCHEN WINDOW?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
SERIOUSLY?
:shrug:
I want to correct your grammar so badly, but I'll be nice... :)

Most of them know a comment like that will get them squished by said tank. ;) :haha:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I am going with fresh heads and a clean block... no orings. It is going on a low mileage motor and going into our new KC Turbo Race truck and slowly work our way up in HP, probably going to keep in under 800hp with the setup. I am going to start building a full blown race motor that will be .30 over, with rods, stage 2 cam, oring heads, ported heads, arp 625s, etc... etc... Lets hope these fel pro gaskets last long enough for me to get the race motor done.
Soooo that means you'll swing by the shop, right? :)

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Of Course... Maybe we can have a BPD sponsored burn out challenge when we finally get it done :haha: JK... burnouts are for losers :look:
I have a feeling we would have several participants... :look:

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
This thread and the following the fel-pros are getting crack me up. They're new and haven't even been tested really yet, and they are supposed to be better, and more and more people are going to run a (for the most part) UN-PROVEN gasket....yet when the BD gasket came out there was a frickin MOB telling people NOT to use them because they were VR gaskets, yet VR is the OE supplier for these trucks. 2 sets of proven gaskets from VR....OE(blue sealant) and BD(black sealant). Lets also NOT FORGET that the wonderful Black Onyx gaskets became popular because of threads and marketing like this.....and what happened there?!?!? Oh....yah....that's right....they flopped horribly and ALL the blame went to VR, and NOT to the people trying an un-proven in the real world product. Sorry but not sold on the pushrod guide holes and slightly thicker crush ring being the "solution" to the 6.0.......the real solution to the 6.0 is preparation of the head and block surface and PROPER torque. Something that can NOT be achieved with cab on....PERIOD!!
Just to clarify, my intent with this thread and research was NOT for marketing purposes. This was to give the best unbiased data I could, since there is and has been so much debate.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
I didn't need clarification but thanks ;-)

I think it was a great uncompensated service BPD provided to the masses by taking the time and resources to give us the results of their research
BPD did not do the research, I did. Ken was the second set of eyes for verification. This is not from BPD, I just happen to work here.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
You had Ken there because you're just a girl and don't know what you're doing, let alone looking at.:poke

That was a joke and I am going to slide on outta here before I get my head axed.:bolt:
:nunu: :punish2:

Oh I stand corrected :eek:hnoes:

Does BPD know you were screwing around with head gaskets when you should have been working ?
I will slap you the next time I see you. :)

So I guess I'll be the odd one... Thank you for the research Christine!
Who is Christine??

uh oh.....you used the C word :look::eek:hnoes:
:hehe: :look:

I ain't scared. Girls love me. I am adorable.:eek:hnoes:
Uhhh... :crazys:

Oh boy... :popcorn:
You are no help at all. :doh:

Wasn't trying to say it was a marketing thread. I was more pointing out that a thread FULL of information can easily turn into a marketing thread with just a few people boasting about how they are GOING to try these when the time comes but haven't touched them or installed them on any vehicle yet. It can quickly become a black onyx situation all over again. I do believe these gasket will have no real issues being run, but then again the current OE/VR ones don't either when PROPER prep and torque are used.
:thumb: Just clarifying is all! No worries.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts