Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Water/air intercooler E350 7.3 diesel

30K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  hogasm 
#1 · (Edited)
#7 ·
This is super cool! Great work! I saw your post on another site and had to track down this thread. Where did you get this metal piece?

I am planning on adding an Air to Air IC on my 7.3 E450 motorhome and that metal piece will really simplify the install. I'm still not sure how I'll do it, but once I get all the parts off the front I'll start hacking away and see how big of an IC I can cram in there. How much did your EGTs drop? Did you loose any boost? How loud is that air filter right behind your seat?

#11 ·
I would check with any of the SD guys that bought a CFM intake. EGTs are good big drop Ive found. I have a canned tuner (EDGE EVOL.) and set it to stage 3 or (EXTREME) Before cooler would hit 1200 degrees (& keep climbing) before 70 mph on W.O.T with cooler i can W.O.T till 100 mph and never goes over 1100-1200. Towing is good also, I tow a 28 ft car hauler for work and play only a couple of times have i had to back out of it becuase of EGTs (driver error). The intake noise is not bad. The box i have is temp and it's 1 layer of MDF board, 1 layer of sound board and some poly fill. planning on building a better one.

#15 ·
PHP (Power Hungry Performance) has excelent tunes. Bill there basically invented tuning 7.3's, not to mention he sells his chip for $290 I believe, which is cheaper then buying a generic TS tuner. Tony Wildman also has excelent tunes, but he's been having family issues lately and a few people have had complaints. Tyrant diesel also has exclent tunes.

#28 ·
still around?

I see your last activity was 2012 and was wondering if you still get email updates? I've got a few Q's....

I just need to make a couple measurements for the w2a intercooler and heat exchangers available mounting areas.

I already have the meziere 20 gpm water pump and 1 gauge with both pre and post ic temp sensors to watch efficiency
I do need to get this radiator cap and fill point in the heater hose at the highest point in the system (Remote Radiator Filler Cap)

I plan on running two(maybe 3) heat ex-changers in series,
1st one in front of radiator (or 2 if the radiator core is over 25 inches tall?)
type 100 12x24x1 thick(Air to Water Radiator)
2nd one in the bumper either
type 118 27x7x2 thick(Air to Water Radiator) or a
type 101 27x7x3.5 thick(Air to Water Heat Exchanger).
I've read on a couple of forums that the type 118 was more efficient than the type 101-as the air heats up as it passes front to back thru the he and in 2 inches,the air is already is heated and not cooling the rest of the 3.5 inches as efficiently.... resulting in inconsistent internal liquid temps resulting in higher outlet temps...

several people have run this w2a ic including you, I'm guessing for clearance around the ac compressor?
type 15(Water to Air Intercoolers)
but I would prefer to run this one if I can for a more direct hot side air path(shorter hot side pipe)
type 5(Water to Air Intercoolers)

cxracing and ebay both have more options but my understanding is frozenboost/siliconeintakes have better fin per inch counts for water to air...

thanks for anybody with any input from their experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.