POTENTIAL ELECTRICAL CORROSION if your truck is like mine...... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2009, 02:20 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
POTENTIAL ELECTRICAL CORROSION if your truck is like mine......

FWIW...... Having spent a couple of afternoons trying to track-down my electrical problems last week ->

Injector driver relay clicking - engine dies....

I've found it was All due to the connection block at the top of the, drivers side, inner wheel well. It makes the transition from the battery (+) to Fuseable links feeding the fuse panel (pictured below)

When plugging/unplugging the computer connector on the firewall I disturbed this wire, which is at the bottom layer of many wire looms, and it broke (probably for the best as it was easier to find over the intermittent connection it was making )

It seems that FORD, in their infinite wisdom, secured this block in place by bolting it through the well and then "keying" in with a slot & tab that leaves a hole to the spray the front tire makes when going through puddles. Here in the Northeast, this often contains a corrosive mix of salt & slush in the winter time which is now a 1/2inch from this block that contains the nickel (from the fuseable link), copper, tin, and steel (from the nut & bolt it's all fastened together with) along with the salt, and Galvanic action does the rest!

I don't know how many other trucks have this located here and are susceptible to my problem, but if I owned another truck like mine, I'd go take a look at it now

It's pretty easy to spot, a 1X1 black box labeled "CAUTION HIGH CURRENT" next to the airbox
Attached Thumbnails
POTENTIAL ELECTRICAL CORROSION if your truck is like mine......-corrodedpost.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2009, 05:40 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First I have heard, must not be a wide spread problem. Maybe some silicone is in order to keep the salt slush out of there.

NCH
Old 08-11-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
Maybe some silicone is in order to keep the salt slush out of there.

NCH
You bet I did

Because I wasn't able to reuse the original stud/block I made the connection with one of those copper "split bolts" used in AC, household wiring. Then covered it in grease and shrunk some of that thick heatshrink tubing with the hot-glue inside. All this OVER the original mounting spot where I used ample silicone to seal the offending slot closed
Old 12-07-2009, 07:52 AM

I am still having trouble finding this box. My truck is an early 99. is it on top of the wheel well inside the engine compartment or somewhere else im not seeing
Old 12-07-2009, 09:08 AM

I found the box but the wire is good. I am guessing since i had a an early 99 it was in a different spot. My box was mounted directly on the fuse panel box right next to the air cleaner. The wire looked fine. My next issue i noticed now was the positive cable connection on my secondary battery looked fried. Maybe the bad connection shorted everything out possibly
Old 12-07-2009, 12:01 PM

thanks for all the help guys. Turned out my battery connections cooked up. I noticed them when i was looking at the computer connections. The lead actually got hot enough and melted. changed out the relays and put on new connectors and she is starting up beautifully
Old 09-24-2010, 03:00 PM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I am trying to find this box on my 00. Anyone got any more specifics. Still having a random no start from time to time. Do I need to remove the fender well liner to get to this?
Old 09-25-2010, 06:49 AM

It's really less of a "box" than a cover for the connector lug. Mine is in the open, 1" back from the airbox, maybe 4" in from the inside of the fender itself, and on the top of the fenderwell. You don't have to remove anything....

BUT, I'm not sure it's something that causes a random no-start. It's a corroded connector that doesn't get better It goes bad, and just gets worse with time!
Old 09-25-2010, 07:03 AM
Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post
It's really less of a "box" than a cover for the connector lug. Mine is in the open, 1" back from the airbox, maybe 4" in from the inside of the fender itself, and on the top of the fenderwell. You don't have to remove anything....

BUT, I'm not sure it's something that causes a random no-start. It's a corroded connector that doesn't get better It goes bad, and just gets worse with time!

That's what I was about to say.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:20 AM
O.I.F. Combat Vet 11B

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRalPh View Post

Well considering I have new good batts, fresh rebuilt starter, good wiring far as I can see, brand new relay..... I am looking at everything I can find here.
The Following User Says Thank You to ju015dd For This Useful Post:
Dieselsmoke 399 (01-13-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.