Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres a pic of the zoodad mod on a 6.0

in the second pic you can see the filter, and how air shoots right at the filter, i havent had any problems with water getting into my filter, but some people have issues with this where it snows alot, to combat this some have put a screen over the hole, this will also keeps bugs and debree out of the filter as well as breaking up the snow and water particles

there are several variations (as far as shape of the hole) but the idea is to open up the air flow to the filter

·
Premium Member
15,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
to do it, just get a dremel and cut out the hole in the shape you want. when i did mine i had a 160hp chip so i doubt i could tell the difference, but ive heard several people say they noticed a seat of the pants difference

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
Ok, so i finally got off my booty to get some pics of my Zoodad, look close @ pic 1 and you can see it through the grille, i did this about 6 weeks ago.

the result of about 10 minutes of work........it was easy kids!!!!!

now as far as MPG going up for me, im getting more miles out of my tanks of Diesel, so yeah about 1 more or so, but the smoothness is very noticeable now someday i will get me some 4' MBRP turbo back w/no kitty or muff.

EEEEEWW look at the bugs in there already...

Reactions: OGRENYC

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
so i finally got all my materials together and did a zoodad to my truck. i did it out of a grade 8 polished stainless steel, just for the dressy look. i polished the heads of the stainless steel screws and used stainless steel screen. all in all, it wasnt too bad to do. the new dremel worked out excellent. just a note to anyone who wants to do one on their truck or who wants to replace their screen, i have ALOT of left over screen. i had to by a roll since no one had it in bulk. so if you all want some screen let me know and ill get some coming your way, NO CHARGE!!! :thumb: i think i also have some left over polished stainless steel too if anyone may want a piece. EDIT: I have no more material for the Zoodad mod. sorry...

·
Registered
75 Posts
So i'm doing a big tow later this week and i want to make sure my egt's stay low i didn't want to dish out the 50 dollars for the zoodad i figured i'd make one myself and if im having any troubles just add more screening

well here it goes!

Step 1:
Remove the grill

unscrew these four screws

undo these clasps with a screw driver - its very easy

Step 2:
Start the Dremel! I made my hole about 2.5"x7" If i were to do it again i would make it about 6"x2.5"

Step 3:
Vacuum! The dust from dremeling gets everywhere, make sure to first vacuum inside the intake before the filter then wipe it down with a wet cloth

Step 4:
Make the steel frame -- i used a sheet of 8 gage steel i had left over from home depot. i started off by taking the piece of plastic that i previously cut out earlier and made a template, i from there added about a quarter inch on the sides and 3/4 inch on the top and bottom.

Step 5:
went out and got some very fine aluminum screen and some jb weld. here's the finished product

walah!

I'll take the truck for a run tomorrow and see how it affects my egts

·
Registered
965 Posts
The idea came to me about 2 years ago at Lowe's when I was walking down
the gutter isle. One day, it just all came together. I bought 2 down spout gutter
inserts and made them into 1. You could just use 1 of them if you like.

I already had the whole there from when I did the Zoodad, I just wanted a nicer/cleaner look than just a hole.

Below are some step-by-step pictures of what I did.

I used a Dremel Tool to cut off each end.

Riveted together

Dry fit

Painted

Finished product

·
Suck, Squish, Bang, Blow!
6,471 Posts
Here's my spin on it. Had the wife make a pattern, printed it, taped it to the spot on the truck then drilled. Came out pretty good!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts