Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've got an 05 f350 6.0 zF6 manual factory truck, I liked the 6 speed at first and really don't mind it but I do a lot of in town cruising and honestly wish I had an auto again, i would like to push snow with this truck but don't bother with the man trans and my wife can't drive it (which isn't a bad thing:rofl:) and she has no desire to learn, I've tried! Really though I would like her to have the option to drive it if she needs to especially in the winter as I have precious cargo in the back seat and another on the way!

Anyways I've got a complete running 03 2wd 6.0 auto here and think I might attempt the swap, I should have everything I need to do this and make it look factory... (to an extent) I know the tail shaft can be removed from the 2wd and the t- case shaft splines won't line up, and the instrament cluster may need replaced to be proper, other than that what am I missing???

Btw I would sell the zf as a complete kit! Anyone interested?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why wasn't it an option??

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
My truck was a special edition truck that rolled off the assembly line originally as a harley edition before going to tuscany trucks for their package. I don't know for sure but I don't think any of the harley editions came with a 6 speed in them I think only the xlt's did?? Maybe someone will chime in and give us the run down.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is a factory XLT, I hadn't ever seen them then my buddy bought an 08 6.4 lariat that has a ZF6, I figured it was special order, I know auto is "standard" but don't know about special edition trucks.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yeah I don't know what all trucks they were even offered as an option. I thought it was only the xlt.
XL, XLT, Lariat

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone else ever attempted the manual to auto swap?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I use to live in Grimes Iowa.... How much are you wanting for the manual set up and do you have a number I can call you at

Thanks rod kern

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
What's the mileage on your 2005 with the manual trans?
I would love to have a manual in my 06 F-450

·
Registered
169 Posts
My 06 lariat has the zf6, after a year I want an auto again. But I read somewhere there was motor parts that had to be changed as well, I don't remember specifics though but i believe it was alot of work and I abandoned the idea of a swap, not to mention the truck is a massive moneypit already.

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
My 06 lariat has the zf6, after a year I want an auto again. But I read somewhere there was motor parts that had to be changed as well, I don't remember specifics though but i believe it was alot of work and I abandoned the idea of a swap, not to mention the truck is a massive moneypit already.
The rear cover on the motor that the trans bolts onto has to be changed out.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes rear engine cover, other than that swap swap! The only thing I'm worried about is wiring, swapping to an auto means I need the comp and harness, swapping to a zf you can just let the wires dangle!

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the hole in the floor, I'll probably weld a plate in there but getting carpet to ever look normal with the expanded " dog house" will be a trick.

95k on the truck , sale is pending as a strait trade for all parts auto to zf.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Did anything ever come of this? Does anyone else have any advice on the subject? I'd sure like to ditch my 6 speed set up in favor of an 5r110.

Reactions: Buckshot927tx

·
Registered
275 Posts
Did anything ever come of this? Does anyone else have any advice on the subject? I'd sure like to ditch my 6 speed set up in favor of an 5r110.
IDK but lookin at the pics in his sig, the '05 six speed has been sold and the '03 2wd auto is for sale.

·
Registered
948 Posts
That could be the case, but I'm sure someone on here has some suggestions or advice on this subject.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I never did get to do it, family was expanding and a quick stop to peek at a family SUV for the wife and an hour later my truck was gone...

The swap can be done, the rear engine plate needs swapped, pedal assemblies, most likely the entire wire harness behind the dash, you will need a comp for the trans as well, if you want to keep it looking factory you will need steering column, instrament cluster, chances are the driveshaft will need changed over, pretty much a very big PITA! I wanted to try and keep mine looking factory but the VIN wouldnt be accurate. Doin a homemade wing it job cuttung and splicing ,going the cheap route ,will surly slaughter the value of your truck..

·
More boost than tire psi
566 Posts
I'd take you up on that offer, lol. I can't stand an automatic... I love the 5r110 but I'm a shifting kinda guy. We could swap straight parts. Engine cover, wiring, ecm(with stock program of course) trans, drive lines, etc... although I'm dropping 190/100 sticks in the truck in the next week or so... so idk if the stock trans would last after that. But I'm quite impressed. I like the 5r110 cause it handles power nicely, an still feels brand new. Solid trans by far. Way better than the 4r100 IMO

·
Registered
948 Posts
The transmission would hold up just fine. Its the clutch that will need to be replaced. I don't believe there is any wiring behind the dash that would need to be changed, but I could be wrong. Send me a PM. I've got about half the parts right now so maybe we could swap some parts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts