Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 6 spd manual 2005 F250 and yesterday I lost 3rd gear. I was in 3rd gear and gave it a bit of juice, the trans popped and i lost 3rd gear completely. At first I thought I blew a driveshaft but every other gear works fine. 3rd gear is completely gone like it is in neutral, no grinding or anything. I was thinking possibly a shift fork but Im not sure if that makes sense. Also this did not happen while shifting in or out of 3rd gear, I was in 3rd already when this happened so I dont know how that would put pressure on the shift fork. I havent had a chance to look it over in depth just yet, could it possibly be something in the linkage? Im sure I will be bringing it to a local trans shop for repair but Id like a little background info if possible, does anyone have any idea what could cause this? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Not popping into gear may possibly be a solenoid, which is easily serviceable by the user by taking the pan off and changing them.

The odds of this fixing it are highly unlikely. I have a car and was not going into gear and the solenoid fixed it. I was pretty lucky to have that work.

I would do quite a bit more research about this before swapping.

·
Premium Member
7,609 Posts
Probably a $5 part, but the shop is gonna want to put in a rebuild tranny -- thats how they make money

·
Premium Member
7,609 Posts
Press metal gears on the lower counter shaft, probably split a gear in the splines -- Don't matter tho, the tranny has to be torn down to fix it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Press metal gears on the lower counter shaft, probably split a gear in the splines -- Don't matter tho, the tranny has to be torn down to fix it.
Yep it sure looks that way. That sucks, I specifically bought a manual truck thinking I would never have to worry about the transmission, even the clutch is less than a year old.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts