Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I stopped at a light left in 1st gear went to grab second and I had to pull real hard to get it out of first and get into 2nd.. I stopped and tried to grab first and it was hard like jam it into 1st hard then 2nd I have to literally yank it in (thinking the shifter is gonna snap)LOL.. all the other gears are smooth and shift with no effort.. I have tried it stopped with the clutch in engine running and I have tried it with engine off.. its not the clutch it is working properly..

I had it in for the 6h gear syncro about 6 months ago it isnt acting like a syncro, when my syncro went it would click and grind into gear but with the truck off it shifted fine ..

this one has me stumped

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bumpin it up .. anyone know what could cause the 1st and 2nd shift to be so tight ya almost need 2 hands to put it into those 2 gears ??

looks like Ill be pullin it out tuesday or wednesday

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fixed and up and running again another screwed up syncro... full rebuilt done this time.. pockets are a little lighter but its fixed

I figured I would post up incase someone else has the same issue seeing as I was flooded with others thoughts and sugestions as to what it could be.. help around here seems to have died, its a shame

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
Mine did that a few times over the winter, it wouldn't go into second like normal. Figured it was just the cold...at least thats what I kept telling myself so I wouldn't think of what it actually was...

Its fine now though. Good to know what it might be if it does it again.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
my syncros for 2nd in my truck were gone too i just learned to not use 2nd lol

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pull a trailer all the time I need 1st and 2nd ...lol its to big of a gap from the creeper gear to 3rd..lol I drove it home like that rev to 2800 in creeper then go right into 3rd since first and second were screwed the motor lugged but got me home

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
Yeah, I pull a trailer 3-4 times a week, 1st and 2nd are a must, and on some hills, low is an absolute must.

Are syncros on these things hard to change? What about the clutch? I'll be looking at a southbend clutch before the end of next year I'm guessing.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
i had a SBC in my early 99 that thing took a ton of abuse i was hard on that truck

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
Yeah, I'm hard on this truck too. Its what makes me love it so much. haha. Its never hesitated pulling anything, going anywhere, or hauling whatever. It never ceases to amaze me that it'll do whatever I ask of it. Its like its trying to impress everyone.

That being said, it does see more than its share of abuse, so I know the clutch will need to be replaced sooner over later.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the sbc in my truck I love it works great

as far as the syncro the whole thing needs to be tore down so I pulled it out sent it in to a rebuild shop to have it done then I put it back in .. all new syncros, new bearings and a collar that was broken and the updated syncro where they had to machine something internally cost me $2000 .. it has never shifted this nice, and it use to shift real good I though

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Chris how many miles where on your tranny? Have any of you had the fluid changed in your 6spds?

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
truck has 170,000 miles I changed the fluid when I got the truck 3 years ago and then again 6 months ago when I had to repace the syncro for 6th gear .. just ware and tear they said .. and a few hard miles too LOL

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
My early 99 just rolled over 90k. Ive had it for just over a year and put 22k on it, but it was owned by some old guy from Texas who rarely drove it before I bought it. It had a bed cover on it and he said he'd only towed with it 5 or 6 times before I bought it...can't say that anymore.

Anyway. Any idea how much longer this clutch is gonna last? I'm wondering if I should just do syncros at the same time if they give me any more trouble.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
At least the home mechanic can rebuild a manual pretty easily. Could do an automatic too but they are super complex.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Mine has 110k on it, i was planning a clutch for this winter but im thinkin i should check the syncros while its out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Clutch Life

02 250 diesel 6sp bought truck new. First clutch at 220,000 and still some wear left. Now at 230,000 still no other problems. I would say do syncros only if needed.

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
My truck just recently started making a noise in overdrive that im wondering about. The a/c fan and radio have to be low to hear it but its definitely there. I don't know how to describe it, but its sounds almost like a Honda in reverse just quieter.

Any ideas ASAP would be great, putting on 250 highway miles tonight and trying to figure out whether I can.take it or not.

·
Banned
3,012 Posts
bumpin this up. leaving in an hour and im wondering if its a good idea to take my truck considering the noise its making...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts