Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend with a 2002 F350 with an auto transmission, his trans is on its way out and he was wondering if a zf5 would work? He has a '91 F250 IDI with a 5 speed laying around so he would have almost all the parts I think. Any advise is welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
215 Posts
Yes it will, I saw a 02 with one in it, not sure what he had to do to get it to work but I've seen it done, it had a 4r100 that was shot, I think it was from a 96 7.3, not sure if there's any difference

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
The powerstroke from a '96 would have the same bell housing pattern as the superduty... not so sure about the IDI 7.3.

It might be able to work, as far as bolting the stuff together.... but you will run into computer issues, PCM will be looking for info from the trans, and not getting it.

As a buddy of mine says, 'I got torches, welders, and tools in the garage... it all fits!' It just might take some blood sweat tears and beers to make it work right.

Obviously, the best thing to do is have a simular model year truck to rob parts from... however, I understand the 'it's free, already sitting here' part of it... but it doesn't always make the most sense.

·
Registered
25 Posts
What do you think would be the best option, slap the manual in, or buy a built auto trans? I'm not really partial to either, I just think it'd be cheaper to swap in a manual than it would be to buy a built auto.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
What do you think would be the best option, slap the manual in, or buy a built auto trans? I'm not really partial to either, I just think it'd be cheaper to swap in a manual than it would be to buy a built auto.
Horrible idea. The 5spds are weaker than the 6spds. You will need new driveshaft, clutch, have to hang a clutch pedal, install booster setup, etc etc etc. To boot, I'm not sure the IDI stuff will fit.

It's going to take hours and hours to redo everything. Just have the auto rebuilt. Whats wrong w/ the auto?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've heard of a 5spd being swapped into a superduty. Its pretty much the same as a 6spd swap from what I'm told other than you don't have to swap out the whole trans tunnel. The IDI trans is the same as a OBS PSD.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
There isn't enough gear on a superduty, in my opinion, for the 5spd anyways. OBS trucks came with 4.10s typically... SD trucks come with what... 3.xx? Dont remember. Another reason I wouldn't do the swap.

·
Registered
755 Posts
^^ 3.73. I would be curious to see what the final drive ratio is between the 5 and 6 speeds. Like 305 mentioned. This seems like a TON of work. Just rebuild the auto and forget about it for another couple hundred thousand.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was just toying with the idea of the 5 speed cuz I have one laying around, If need be I'll just buy a BTS auto when mine does decide to crap out. truck has 230k miles and trans is original and it's just starting to slip in 2nd gear when I'm really puttin the throttle down. I took a quart of fluid out and put Lucas stabilizer in it, helped a bit but still slips.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I'd see if you could find a shot core locally and ship it to BTS to have it done and sitting there, personally.

Like my buddies and I tell people, "anything can be done and with the right amount of money we can make it work... its whether or not you're just wasting your money for a result you wont be happy with".

I'd have an Auto built in your case, or if you had a wrecked parts truck, a ZF6 swap would be the other option, but at this point that's going to be more work than just putting another Auto in it.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Why does it sound like I'm talking to myself. have a local shop rebuild it, buy a beefed up tc and vb, and never touch it again.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Instead of paying somebody to do it, how hard would it be to pull the transmission, install a TC, a valve body, and a shift kit myself? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I've never torn into a transmission before.

·
Registered
69 Posts
^^ 3.73. I would be curious to see what the final drive ratio is between the 5 and 6 speeds. Like 305 mentioned. This seems like a TON of work. Just rebuild the auto and forget about it for another couple hundred thousand.
Its the same from what I remember when I was reading about my 6 speed swap. The only real difference is there is an extra lower gear. All the gears are relatively close. And the swap isn't that bad at all. Did it myself for the most part, only took a weekend. :D

But not sure if the idi will work or not.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Instead of paying somebody to do it, how hard would it be to pull the transmission, install a TC, a valve body, and a shift kit myself? I'm pretty mechanically inclined, but I've never torn into a transmission before.
As long as the tranny doesn't need an actual rebuild, then you can def do it yourself. But you dont get a shift kit AND a valve body.. they are one in the same, with a valve body being better than a shift kit. You will have to pull the tranny for the tc though, and the vb gets a bit messy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good to know, would anybody happen to have a writeup on how to change torque converter? I've already found the valvebody writeup. Is the BTS valvebody sufficient for everyday use with a tuner? What kind of TC do you suggest? Would it be beneficial to put a billet input shaft in while I've got it torn apart? Sorry for all the questions, I'm just trying to get all my ducks in a row before starting anything.

Sent from my ADR6325 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Dont need the billet input shaft... these aren't dodges.

BTS vb is perfect. TC, either a BTS, racerx, 6.0, etc.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok. Any estimate on what I would be spending to do this? My guess would be about 1500 or so? Possibly a little more?
Sent from my ADR6325 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
449 Posts
tq is easy just unbolt it from the flywheel, pull the tranny and put the new one on the tranny, its easier to line up the tranny with the tq already on it. then just put it all back together, should take two hours

1 - 20 of 23 Posts