Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a rebuilt zf5 for 500 bucks. Now just need to piece everything else together. Been doing searches but can find what im looking for. Can I use slave cylinder, master cylinder, pedals, etc from a gas job? Thanks

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump for the day

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I don't think the pedal assembly will work. Iirc the gas trucks gas pedal is cable control and the diesel is electronic

·
Registered
51 Posts
i bought my slave clyinder from car quest new and you are going to want to get the cross member out of a manual powerstroke it fits alot better, found out the hard way, but other then that i had my chip reburned for a manual and set the auto switch of the tranny in neutral and left it as is. i got clutch pedals out of a 93 f150 i beleve 92 to 97 f series work and your drive shaft will need to be longer casue the zf5 is shorter i had to get mine extended with my 4 inch lift anyway but other then that it was pretty easy.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Our 7.3's are dbw.... traditional gasser pedals wont work

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i bought my slave clyinder from car quest new and you are going to want to get the cross member out of a manual powerstroke it fits alot better, found out the hard way, but other then that i had my chip reburned for a manual and set the auto switch of the tranny in neutral and left it as is. i got clutch pedals out of a 93 f150 i beleve 92 to 97 f series work and your drive shaft will need to be longer casue the zf5 is shorter i had to get mine extended with my 4 inch lift anyway but other then that it was pretty easy.
So you didnt bother switching out ecm's then? no problems?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
how about driveshafts? Will they work out of a gasser? and does it have to be crew cab, or will EC work? Sorry for so many gasser questions but I have access to a few of them in a local boneyard

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And the floor hump is the same I assume?

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
I don't think the pedal assembly will work. Iirc the gas trucks gas pedal is cable control and the diesel is electronic
Separate pedal. The "pedal box" is just the brake and clutch pedals. This would be a good time to replace the bushings.

For the hydraulics, it's waaaay easier and more reliable (and ultimately no more expensive, possibly even cheaper), to buy a pre-built pre-bled master-line-slave assembly. No bleeding, and takes about 5 minutes to install.

You'll also need the column "collar" from a manual truck, unless you want to confuse people with the automatic shifter sticking out....

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Separate pedal. The "pedal box" is just the brake and clutch pedals. This would be a good time to replace the bushings.

For the hydraulics, it's waaaay easier and more reliable (and ultimately no more expensive, possibly even cheaper), to buy a pre-built pre-bled master-line-slave assembly. No bleeding, and takes about 5 minutes to install.

You'll also need the column "collar" from a manual truck, unless you want to confuse people with the automatic shifter sticking out....
I was actually able to get the full pre-bled assembly through advanced auto for $130. So that worked perfect and I got a brand new brake/clutch pedal box on ebay OEM part number for $110. As far as the "collar", I can just buy the top plastic piace and remove the shifter right? Thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
So you didnt bother switching out ecm's then? no problems?
You should be fine but u will have soft codes saying tranny and tq converter out of range and gear selector out of range.

·
Registered
396 Posts
how about driveshafts? Will they work out of a gasser? and does it have to be crew cab, or will EC work? Sorry for so many gasser questions but I have access to a few of them in a local boneyard
Idk if there is a difference in a gasser to diesel as far as strenghts and U joints sizes, but as far as the lenghts ull need to find a parts truck with the same wheel base as u or have yours lengthend. Try and find diesel drive shafts.

·
Registered
396 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
I was actually able to get the full pre-bled assembly through advanced auto for $130. So that worked perfect and I got a brand new brake/clutch pedal box on ebay OEM part number for $110. As far as the "collar", I can just buy the top plastic piace and remove the shifter right? Thanks
some guys swap the whole steering columes. I tried but broke a bolt trying to undo the manual one so i ended up snaping off the auto gear selector and keeping my origanal colume in. I also tore apart dash to install the little black cover for the PRND21.

·
Registered
396 Posts
p.m. with any other questions.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Gasser pedals WILL work. you just need them from a 92-97 truck

Slave cylinder WILL work from a 460 ZF(external slave). But not from a small block zf(internal slave).

As for drive shafts. the rear one needs to be from the same wheel base AND you have to have the same t-case. 87-95 had a 1356(slip yolk) 96/97 had a 4407(fixed yolk). AND you have to have the same trans(good luck finding a CCSB 5 speed), you would be better off having yours shortened

Also the front driveshaft has to be from a ZF5(what engine doesnt matter). But you will need one from a F250 if you have a F250 and from a f350 if you have a f350

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
awesome guys, thanks for the help

1 - 18 of 18 Posts