Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it uses atf. I'm wondering if my clutch cylinder is going bad. I have to go completely to the floor to get the clutch to disengage.

Also was wondering if this thing has filters. Also how to check fluid level and how often it should be changed.

Now for performance should I have an external cooler or external filter.

Seems as after I drive for about an hour of driving it get's hard to shift and the synchro's quit working ever now and again.

·
Registered
227 Posts
it uses atf. merc v. no filter. it does have a cooler, air to oil mounted in the same place as an auto. to check fluid level just remove the plug on the case of the trans, its a 3/8 drive. a little over full is a good thing. as far as the clutch issues. look for leaks. there is no way to bleed the system its competely sealed and assembled from the factory. easy to replace. check the pivot bushing on the pushrod that goes to the master cylinder inside the cab. if its worn then get a new one. theyre only a couple bucks. if it isnt leaking and the bushing is good then the shift fork could be bent which usually means a clutch is due. one of these things should get it shifting good again. if i were betting i would say it will take a fluid change and the pivot bushing.

i really miss my six speed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts