Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum and just bought a 96 F-250 Powerstroke with a 5 speed.

My problem is between 2nd and 3rd gera the sincronizer seem to be shot. All other gears seem to shift ok except sometimes its pops out of reverse. I have heard that the the sometimes the slave cylinder will cause this but I had my dad push the clutch in with me underneath and it looks to be working properly. I have a zf out a 91 F-350 that had a 460 and I have heard that the guts are the same but its not a direct bolt in so I will have to gut boths transmission and swap them.

Anybody have any input if this will work or is there something else I can try before going through the trouble of a tranny swap.

Please help the newbie!!!

Thanks,
NoLimits

·
Registered
11 Posts
the slave would be a problem only if there was problems in all gears mainly 1st and rev but the rev pop out is normall on these i have 2 truck that have that problem apparently the only way to fix it is to replace the reverse assembly and obviously the 3th syncro and id probly do the 2nd gear sycro as well since it usualy goes out before all the others

also the zf from your 91 460 has diferent gear ratios so unless you want diferent ratios it wont work

·
Registered
161 Posts
although the 91 460 has diffrent gear ratios, If I remember right it has taller gearing for the first couple sets of gears but the overdrives are the same someone correct me if I am wrong. The housings are the same so unless the splines are different the transmissions will bolt up to ether one gas or diesel, unless you are trying to adapt one from a 2X4 to go into a 4X4 then you just switch the back of the housing's.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a good 5 speed from a local guy for $500 so I think I'm just going to go that rought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts