1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I've still got the factory pads and rotors at 250k. I rarely tow much more than 5k pounds and drive almost strictly highway, about 100 miles a day. Definitely interested in this thread since I am close to being due for replacements...and who buys brakes at the dealer??
-Aaron

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I am watching this thread also. My all up weight hovers around 17,000 lbs. on my daily driver. not much towing, but a major service body, loaded, with mountain and city roads to commute. 147k miles on th' clock, with original rotors & pads.
God Speed to you and yours on your trips. Keep them brakes sharp and COOL!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would like to know. As i have got to do mine this week.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have to do mine this week. I would suggest to stay away from duralast gold. and from what i have been reading is ceramic brake pads are great but not for towing, since towing increases the temps once ceramic brake pads are over the max temp they are shot.

i am looking at these two. (from local supplier)

#1 Bendix Brakes MKD1068FM - Bendix Brakes Fleet MetLok Brake Pads - Overview - SummitRacing.com

#2 RAYBESTOS 397-PGD1069M - Raybestos PG Plus Professional Grade Brake Pads - Overview - SummitRacing.com

going back to motorcraft isn't a problem at the #2 spot.

kinda feeling like the bendix brand has set standards with the heavy diesel world and is onto something in the medium diesel world....worse case is the Pads are really badAzz and they start to out last the rotors:crazy:

·
Registered
933 Posts
motorcraft pads powerslot rotors on my 04, due for a third set of pads at 100k

·
Registered
809 Posts
My truck has a daily weight of 12,000 lbs and it tows a 10,000 dump trailer often.
When I needed brakes last year I did a lot of research and found ART's
Applied Rotor Technology
They have been GREAT and well worth the money.
The other thing you should do is flush the brake and hydro boost systems.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,646 Posts
My truck has a daily weight of 12,000 lbs and it tows a 10,000 dump trailer often.
When I needed brakes last year I did a lot of research and found ART's
Applied Rotor Technology
They have been GREAT and well worth the money.
The other thing you should do is flush the brake and hydro boost systems.
+1 for ART.

Been using them for years on my 7.3L. Great product, great company!

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
ART is great for rotors. For pads I would go with Hawk Super Duty pads based on your towing. That's all I run on my trucks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Since the Motorcraft OEM pads seem to be holding up for a long time, would there be any problems just going with them again? Also, I was told by my local dealership that Motorcraft now offers a "super duty" brake pad that are supposed to last longer and only cost $8 more per axle set. I'm thinking of just going with those. I'm at 107k miles and I still have some pad left on the fronts, but I'm just ready to get some new pads for peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
I installed SP Performance Cross Drilled and Slotted rotors and Hawk Extreme Service and Towing pads on my truck and it's the BEST rotor and pad combination I've ever used....Bar none! You'll hear plenty of people "dis" these rotors, but I'm telling you they are for real! I tow almost every day up and down steep mountains, over the road, whatever. I never have a problem stopping my truck.

k

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,646 Posts
The Ford Premium pads are fantastic:

Front pads - Ford Premium 8C3Z-2001-A
Rear pads: Ford Premium 5C3Z-2200-AA

1 - 13 of 13 Posts