Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. New to the world of Diesels. Just bought an 04 F350 with an 05 6.0L in it. I've noticed my coolant leaking from my upper rad hose (i think) and plan to fix this weekend. I have some yellowish-brown, slimy gunk in my degas bottle and was wondering what it was from and if its a problem in the making?

Also, what type of coolant should i use. What ever is in there now is Red in color. I need to top it off tonight but not sure what type of coolant to use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
256 Posts
A photo of your problem will help us.

The coolant recommended by ford is gold coolant part number VC-7-B BUT some people here are using coolant with CAT EC-1 spec. with good results.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Sounds like you oil cooler is busted, was it overfilling? It should be just below the min mark. Red coolant could be elc. Elc with the cat ec-1 rating is suggested.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ruiz. I'll get pictures of it tomorrow for you guys. I read on here that the "new" proper level for the degas bottle is about an inch below the mark on the side of the bottle. When warm that's exactly where it's at.

Southend... I don't THINK my oil cooler is bad but I'm really not sure. When i can see the coolant, it looks clean. No visual evidence of oil in the fluid. Just "slimy" stuff on the sides of the bottle. Kind of up high near the mating surfaces between the bottle and lid.

I'll post the pics tomorrow afternoon for you guys. Thanks again for the help. I'm really enjoying this site.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks Ruiz. I'll get pictures of it tomorrow for you guys. I read on here that the "new" proper level for the degas bottle is about an inch below the mark on the side of the bottle. When warm that's exactly where it's at.

Southend... I don't THINK my oil cooler is bad but I'm really not sure. When i can see the coolant, it looks clean. No visual evidence of oil in the fluid. Just "slimy" stuff on the sides of the bottle. Kind of up high near the mating surfaces between the bottle and lid.

I'll post the pics tomorrow afternoon for you guys. Thanks again for the help. I'm really enjoying this site.
:popcorn: this site is the best. :thumb:

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
5,716 Posts
It may even be slime left over from Ford Gold coolant, it would have a goldish yellow color to it but I would think color would be hard to determine with the CAT EC1 coolant in there now.
Rule out oil in your cooling system and then do a good coolant flush on your truck. Myself I have used cascade dishwasher liquid soap to get a clean cooling sytem instead of the acid procedure when I changed from Ford Gold to a CAT EC-1 type which is surely what's in you truck now. Good Luck with it............

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
It may even be slime left over from Ford Gold coolant, it would have a goldish yellow color to it but I would think color would be hard to determine with the CAT EC1 coolant in there now.
Rule out oil in your cooling system and then do a good coolant flush on your truck. Myself I have used cascade dishwasher liquid soap to get a clean cooling sytem instead of the acid procedure when I changed from Ford Gold to a CAT EC-1 type which is surely what's in you truck now. Good Luck with it............
True^^^^^

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Well darn, you could have opened the cap and gave us a pic. An original cap will have a oem pn printed on it, iirc.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
OEM coolant cap front

OEM coolant cap back

Stant part #10238 front

Stant part #10238 back

I use stant caps in my 6.0L & 6.4L without problems or leaks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yep!
It will not hurt anything, the cost for the cap is about $5.00, I strongly suggest a good flush of the system, new coolant cat ec-1 spec. with the new cap and see what happens. I hope isn't something bigger.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
You said in your first post, the coolant looked red. That is ford gold, and waaaaay past due for a flush. If you dont want a clogged oil cooler, I suggest you dump that, flush with tap till clear, flush with 24 gal of distilled to get back to a ph of 7, then put 3.5 gal of concentrate elc with the cat ec-1 rating. Do this with the thermostat out, and use the driverside block drain. Replace with an oem thermostat, and hope for the best. Get the monitor and check ect vs eot. That will be your delta, more than 15° means your oil cooler is clogging.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It does look red in the bottle. I'll do that flush this weekend as well. Thanks for the info.:icon_ford:

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I forgot, really good idea to get a coolant filter on there asap.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts