Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday I picked up my first Ford, a 1997 PSD F-250. I bought it from a family friend and also my Landlord. It had sat next to his shop for years, and finally he decided to get rid of it. $1,000 later, and she was mine! The truck has 263,000 miles, an automatic transmission, 4:10 gearing, a tool box/fuel tank and a Boggs Equipment Repair & Fabrication rear bumper. Other than that, it's stock.

The truck also came with a set of Alcoa's. They weren't in the best shape, but neither was the truck. Both sets of tires were shot, so I needed a new set. I ended up going with a set of Toyo Open Country R/Ts in 265/75R16.

My plan, as of right now, is to do some maintenance, fix a couple little quirks and then do my power/longevity mods.

·
Registered
747 Posts
That's an awesome price. Looking forward to seeing where you go with the build.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First thing's first, the truck has a moderate fuel leak. It's coming from the sensor or heater that is pictured below.

I've seen that people have had problems with various parts of the fuel filter canister assembly leaking. I would rather not rebuild the whole thing, considering an e-fuel system is in my future.

The next thing I need to concentrate on it fixing the shifter. That thing has major play in it. I could see it falling off or breaking at any time, which would result in me probably being stranded somewhere.

The last thing to be done is get interior door handles. I'm not sure if I want to just buy a set, or it I want to fabricate something up. Either way, it's a major PITA not having them!

The lowest things on my to do list are to fix, or remove the sagging headliner and decide if I want to remove the side molding.

·
Super Moderator
19,262 Posts
For some of the interior stuff like door handles, take a look at LMCTruck. They might have some of that. If the price is reasonable.......

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's an awesome price. Looking forward to seeing where you go with the build.
I wasn't the first to hear about him wanting to get rid of his truck. I was honestly surprised nobody picked it up before me!

Nothing is set in stone, but as of right now, this is what I'm thinking:
Performance
-turbo-back straight pipe dual exhaust
-6637 mod
-tuning

Longevity
-E-Fuel with a Walbro GSL392BX and Cat filters
-Probably going to have to beef up the transmission
-Possibly an intercooler

Exterior
-Frosted clear blinker lights
-LED bulbs in stock housings (switchbacks on the front blinkers)
-Possibly LED light bar
-Possibly remove side molding

Interior
-Gauges (Pyro, Boost, Trans)
-Possibly HPOP, but still researching that
-Possibly tearing out the carpet and bed coating the floor

I'm also tinkering with an idea I have to use the EBPV as an exhaust brake. After that, I'm not sure. Maybe a Dana 60 front axle, maybe Super Duty Axles, maybe a turbo and fuel. I'd like to just keep it at the list above, but I'm addicted to modding. I can't keep something stock to save my life.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For some of the interior stuff like door handles, take a look at LMCTruck. They might have some of that. If the price is reasonable.......
I absolutely LOVE LMC, they're way better than the dealership! They have two kinds of handles, chrome and black. I'm just not sure if I would rather have something custom. The truck had the chrome ones originally, but I'll probably end up with the plain black.

Speaking of LMC, they have a nice Bronco on the cover right now. I wish I knew the tire/wheel/suspension specs on that thing!

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,458 Posts
That thing is DIRTY! I vote for custom door handles btw.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, cleaning the truck should probably be one of the first things I do! Any ideas for the door handles? I'm not a master fabricator, nor do I have an extensive shop, but I can get little things like simple door handles done.

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,458 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yeah, cleaning the truck should probably be one of the first things I do! Any ideas for the door handles? I'm not a master fabricator, nor do I have an extensive shop, but I can get little things like simple door handles done.
I'd suggest a prybar handle for a custom door handle.
I like the handles on my OTC prybars, would make cool door handles, IMHO.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought long and hard about custom door handles, but couldn't come up with anything that I liked. Plus, it was hard to beat LMC's $20 for a pair of plain, black handles. I ordered those up, and a pair of stock replacement tail lights. My driver's side tail light is horizontally split on the outside, and a big chunk of the inside is missing. I can actually see the tail light bulbs from the tie down hole on the top of the bed. So, I'll be installing those when they come in.

I figured out that the part that was leaking on my fuel filter canister was the fuel filter restriction switch. After seeing that the switch was $50, and knowing that I'm going to the e-fuel setup anyway, I decided to just get a 1/8" NPT plug and plug the hole. I also changed the fuel filter.

It wasn't nearly as bad as the one in my Cummins a couple weeks earlier!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yea definitly not as bad, but still not good. Haha If you want a cheap headliner you can pull that one off and go to the fabric store and buy fabric and spray glue. That is what I did for my 97 f150 as well as my lightning.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats a really good idea. Did you have any problem with the cloth sticking to the headliner foam, or with the glue working through the cloth and making it sticky? I've been thinking it was either fix the headliner, remove it completely or have beadliner sprayed on as a headliner.

I had to run some errands, and decided to take my wingman, Otis! :grin:

·
Super Moderator
19,262 Posts
Good looking "Alarm" you have there!!!

·
Registered
747 Posts
I didn't have any problems with it at all on either. The one has been done for about 8 years and is still holding up great and the other is only a couple years old.

Force Field Fast Tack Uphol Adhesive 12Oz | Jo-Ann

Headliner Spray Glue | Jo-Ann

I used something similar to this. And just found a fabric I liked to do mine in. And it was easiest to pull the whole headliner out. Cardboard and all and do it out of the truck then put it back in.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not much has gone on in the last week, as far as my truck has been concerned. We've started to work up the ground in preparation for planting rice.

I was going to do some maintenance to my Dodge Ram and my F-250 as well as maintenance and install some goodies on my girl's Trailblazer this weekend. Things were good until I got the Trailblazer on the lift and noticed this...

Needless to say, it took all day Saturday to locate and get a lower control arm. So, no love for my trucks last weekend. :crying:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't have any problems with it at all on either. The one has been done for about 8 years and is still holding up great and the other is only a couple years old.

I used something similar to this. And just found a fabric I liked to do mine in. And it was easiest to pull the whole headliner out. Cardboard and all and do it out of the truck then put it back in.
Really?! That sounds like it's actually a really easy, good fix! Looks like that mod is in my near future! :beer:

1 - 20 of 150 Posts