Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all, just purchased my first diesel a few days ago. I have been enjoying it a lot, but I am wanting to add a few things. My first mods are going to be exhaust and programmer. Just want some advice from those who have more experience than I do.

I have a friend who has a brand new H&S XRT he won at a pull he is wanting to sell and is giving me a good deal. My big question is, am I going to wish I bought the MiniMax instead of the XRT? I'm not worried too much about changing tunes because I'm probably going to leave it on mild, but am I going to need to run a pyro gauge anyway and be better off with the MiniMax?

I am also trying to decide between the 4" and 5" Flo-Pro. If I go with the XRT and 4" Flo-Pro, will I have any problems running hot with just a mild tune with minimal towing or should I increase to the 5"?

Sorry for the newb questions, but all my friends and family have Ram 2500's and couldn't contribute too much. :icon_ford:

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you are going to put exhaust on it go with 5". Go with the mini maxx and dont look back.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
you're going to wish you got the Mini Maxx, but if you can get the Pro cheap enough, you might make a little money on it ;)

no need for 5", it just boils down to sound and looks at that point

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
If you get the xrt then it is a good idea to buy something else to use for guages as the xrt doesn't have guages. However then you will probably end up spendingd close to the mini anyways so personally I would just get the mini. As for exhaust, I ended up going with the 5" and I love the sound of it. I have heard the 4" and it sounds good to but the 5" is a little deeper if you like that kind of sound.:D

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
As long as you set the defuel settings, you really have no need for gauges on the 6.4L.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
As long as you set the defuel settings, you really have no need for gauges on the 6.4L.
Some sort of guaging system is never a bad idea if it fits into the budget. Especially if you are adding that much power. Plus it just lets a person see if something is happening before it gets to bad. Also let the owner do a little diagnosing rather than paying the dealership to "troubleshoot" in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
You need some sort of monitoring in order for the defueling feature to work, otherwise it won't defuel.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
Some sort of guaging system is never a bad idea if it fits into the budget. Especially if you are adding that much power. Plus it just lets a person see if something is happening before it gets to bad. Also let the owner do a little diagnosing rather than paying the dealership to "troubleshoot" in my opinion.
Trust me, I'll never drive a diesel without gauges. My 6.0 had around $1,500 worth of gauges. I'm just saying its not absolutely necessary. The defuel settings keep everything in check. It would be no different than driving a factory tuned truck without gauges.

You need some sort of monitoring in order for the defueling feature to work, otherwise it won't defuel.
Why is that? I'm pretty sure the XRT PRO will defuel with set parameters. It's just like how the factory program defuels when the computer recognizes some parameters are out of spec.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Why is that? I'm pretty sure the XRT PRO will defuel with set parameters. It's just like how the factory program defuels when the computer recognizes some parameters are out of spec.
The XRT PRO doesn't come with Defuel feature because it has no monitoring capability like the Mini or Black. In order for the Defueling feature to work it needs to be able to monitor temps and make changes accordingly. Since the XRT PRO doesn't have a way to monitor temps, it can't adjust for it and defuel. Whether the stock parameters are still in place, I don't know.

That said, if you don't leave the Mini or Black plugged in, they to can't monitor temps and adjust accordingly.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
The XRT PRO doesn't come with Defuel feature because it has no monitoring capability like the Mini or Black. In order for the Defueling feature to work it needs to be able to monitor temps and make changes accordingly. Since the XRT PRO doesn't have a way to monitor temps, it can't adjust for it and defuel. Whether the stock parameters are still in place, I don't know.

That said, if you don't leave the Mini or Black plugged in, they to can't monitor temps and adjust accordingly.
Hmmmm... I was once told the XRT PRO had the defuel settings as well. I figured it worked just like the factory program, since it rewrites everything. I don't see why it couldn't defuel though. The stock programming defuels and it doesn't have a monitor. I figured the XRT just rewrote the factory defueling parameters so that if the factory computer recognized a parameter out of spec (according to what the rewritten file says is out of spec, which is adjustable by the user), that it would defuel until the computer recognized the parameters to be back in spec.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I wondered the same thing but couldn't figure out, why then all the talk about adjusting the value if it was written to the PCM. So I put that question and a couple others to H&S, "Why doesn't the XRT PRO have a Default Defuel function preset?". The answer I got back was that the XRT PRO is unable to monitor temps so is unable to act accordingly.

This leads me to believe the Defuel feature is actually a function of the Monitor (Mini or Black), not the programming uploaded to the truck. And if the Monitor isn't able to monitor, it can't adjust for it.

Below is the reply that I got back.

H&S said:
Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately we do not offer any type of custom tuning for the XRT Pro users at this point in time, nor do we have the ability to set defuel levels. As the tuner does not stay plugged in, it does not have a way to monitor and make changes according to temperatures. This feature is only available on the tuners that stay connected to the vehicle to monitor vital engine parameters.
So, other then any default defueling parameters left over from stock programming, it appears to not have any.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
That should be something H&S should look into. That would be a VERY nice addition to the XRT for a baller on a budget. I don't see any reason you can't program defueling into the stock PCM with custom tuning exactly as the stock programming does. I'm guessing they just took the easy route and allowed the external monitor to control it.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
That's what I was thinking and wondering as well. Why not make the XRT PRO protect the engine by adding a default defueling level as a safety precaution for the engine and continue giving the Mini and Black the ability to adjust them.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
because the XRT doesn't do monitoring or stay plugged in

it's not like the Mini Maxx tuning scales back tables in the ECM, it simply toggles through the power levels on the unit. It must be plugged in and talking to the ECM through the OBD-II to work...

you wouldn't expect your TV/cable/dvr/blu-ray to work if they aren't all hooked up would you?

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
because the XRT doesn't do monitoring or stay plugged in

it's not like the Mini Maxx tuning scales back tables in the ECM, it simply toggles through the power levels on the unit. It must be plugged in and talking to the ECM through the OBD-II to work...

you wouldn't expect your TV/cable/dvr/blu-ray to work if they aren't all hooked up would you?
Terrible analogy. You contradicted yourself. That would mean the XRT has to stay plugged in to run a high horsepower tune, which is not true at all.

You're missing the point. The stock programming has defueling built in. This TV has a built in blu-ray player (I'll play along with your analogy). They're just not taking advantage of it. The stock PCM can defuel with stock programming without a monitor. Why can't they reprogram the PCM to defuel with custom programming?

·
Registered
36 Posts
What Drunk on Diesel said...all the Mini Maxx does, as far as I can tell, when it defuels, is roll back to the 'No-Power' setting. It isn't actually your ECM doing anything other than getting an on the fly adjustment down from the Maxx.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Mini is the same way, if it's not plugged in, it can't adjust. So what I'm saying is that defueling is part of the monitor itself.

If there's any stock defueling going on, I don't know. But it doesn't sound like the tuning on the 3 devices can alter it or overide it without being hooked up as a monitor. Since the XRT PRO isn't a monitor, it rules that one out.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Terrible analogy. You contradicted yourself. That would mean the XRT has to stay plugged in to run a high horsepower tune, which is not true at all.

You're missing the point. The stock programming has defueling built in. This TV has a built in blu-ray player (I'll play along with your analogy). They're just not taking advantage of it. The stock PCM can defuel with stock programming without a monitor. Why can't they reprogram the PCM to defuel with custom programming?
The stock programming doesn't have the severe instant defueling that you're speaking of. Well. It does, it's called limp mode. How do you know it's capable of what you're saying? Did you engineer the software? If so, you should be able to DIY, right? Easy enough.

And even if they could program the ECM to defuel the way you want it, the next guy might not want the same defuel parameters. They're not going to spend hours writing custom tunes when they have an inexpensive piece of hardware that allows the customer to do it.

·
Premium Member
5,682 Posts
The H&S Tuners have to override the stock defiling limits, or else most trucks would defuel around 1,200° I believe (that's what it was on the 6.0). So instead of just overriding it, why not modify it?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts