• Lariat with ~130k

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • XLT with ~100k

Votes: 3 33.3%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
It depends on how important the bells and whistles are to you, and also how worried you are about miles.

After a slew of research, I became comfortable with the idea that a well maintained 6.7 can go to 400k pretty regularly. Personally, I like the bells and whistles. I test drove a 2011 XLT with 50k miles on it, but you could tell they were hard miles. Interior was abused. Road rash. Rust on the under carriage, etc. I ended up buying a 2014 platinum with 116k miles for a couple grand less, but this truck was way cleaner and you could tell it had been cared for. You could see that it had wrench marks on the hard-to-reach passenger side radiator drain valve, which meant that they’d changed fluid at some point. The trans fluid was clean, etc. You could just tell it has been taken care of. Whereas the one with way fewer miles I didn’t have a good feeling about.

Given how long these trucks will last, I wouldn’t hesitate to trade off 30k-60k miles for some nice options, if it’s a clean truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
I also looked at the engine hours. After dividing the odometer reading by the engine hours, it showed me that the truck had been driven an average at 50 mph over the course of its entire life. That means they were essentially ALL highway miles. I’d rather have a truck with 150k Highway miles than one with 50k crawling through the mountains.

·
Registered
196 Posts
since no on mentioned it yet... look for a 2014+ 6.7L. They had a lot of mechanical bugs plague the early 2011-2013s.... You can do a quick Google search and see for yourself. Yes every brand has their flaws, but Ford made some great improvements and reliability changes for the 2014+.

When my wife finally gets tired of my 1999 7.3l I'll be looking at a 2014 or newer only.

Also, isn’t it true that the transmission in 2011-2014 is stronger than 2015 and newer? Does that mean 2014 is your best all-around bet on a used one?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I read that the clutch material thickness was reduced in 2015 and later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.