Votes: 6 66.7%
  • XLT with ~100k

Votes: 3 33.3%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get into an 11 or 12 F-250 with the 6.7. I'm looking to spend about 25-27k, KBB tells me I'm looking at an XLT with around 100k or a Lariat with around 130k. What would you guys choose? Also, does anyone have stats with average cost per year on these trucks with around 100k miles?

Thank you,
Nick

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same dilemma. It took me a looooooong time to find the truck. Looked at everything from an 05 to 16. Test drove a bunch of trucks. Almost bought an 11 lariat with 150k fully deleted, lifted, nice truck. They were asking 27. I test drove a 13 Lariat asking 36 110k stock. Settled on a 16 CC SB with 47k Xlt, stock, but different tires. Nice truck, I sleep well. (My original budget was 27,000. After much research I decided to raise it.)

·
Registered
196 Posts
It depends on how important the bells and whistles are to you, and also how worried you are about miles.

After a slew of research, I became comfortable with the idea that a well maintained 6.7 can go to 400k pretty regularly. Personally, I like the bells and whistles. I test drove a 2011 XLT with 50k miles on it, but you could tell they were hard miles. Interior was abused. Road rash. Rust on the under carriage, etc. I ended up buying a 2014 platinum with 116k miles for a couple grand less, but this truck was way cleaner and you could tell it had been cared for. You could see that it had wrench marks on the hard-to-reach passenger side radiator drain valve, which meant that they’d changed fluid at some point. The trans fluid was clean, etc. You could just tell it has been taken care of. Whereas the one with way fewer miles I didn’t have a good feeling about.

Given how long these trucks will last, I wouldn’t hesitate to trade off 30k-60k miles for some nice options, if it’s a clean truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
I also looked at the engine hours. After dividing the odometer reading by the engine hours, it showed me that the truck had been driven an average at 50 mph over the course of its entire life. That means they were essentially ALL highway miles. I’d rather have a truck with 150k Highway miles than one with 50k crawling through the mountains.

·
Premium Member
11,549 Posts
since no on mentioned it yet... look for a 2014+ 6.7L. They had a lot of mechanical bugs plague the early 2011-2013s.... You can do a quick Google search and see for yourself. Yes every brand has their flaws, but Ford made some great improvements and reliability changes for the 2014+.

When my wife finally gets tired of my 1999 7.3l I'll be looking at a 2014 or newer only.

·
Registered
196 Posts
since no on mentioned it yet... look for a 2014+ 6.7L. They had a lot of mechanical bugs plague the early 2011-2013s.... You can do a quick Google search and see for yourself. Yes every brand has their flaws, but Ford made some great improvements and reliability changes for the 2014+.

When my wife finally gets tired of my 1999 7.3l I'll be looking at a 2014 or newer only.

Also, isn’t it true that the transmission in 2011-2014 is stronger than 2015 and newer? Does that mean 2014 is your best all-around bet on a used one?

·
Registered
436 Posts
The poll should also read none or the other, I wouldn’t buy either as of now, that’s my take. There is a 14 on eBay, a Clean XLT with 52,xxx starting bid $33,000 with no reserve. I’m curios to see if it sells and for what! Surely the seller wouldn’t have started an auction without a reserve, for less than it’s value?

·
Premium Member
11,549 Posts
Also, isn’t it true that the transmission in 2011-2014 is stronger than 2015 and newer? Does that mean 2014 is your best all-around bet on a used one?

I will have to research the transmission but I haven't heard anything relating to the 2015s beings better or even changed for that matter. A 6.7l Scorpion engine is 3x times the cost of the transmission with even more labor whether its your buddies in a shop or an actual shop.

Many early 6.7l owners were plagued with lifter issues, major emissions components failure, exploding high pressure fuel systems etc... never once heard of a blown transmission with out already having 200k on it... I don't own one, but I will in the future so have been reading and trying to stick to as much factual info as I can. I know online is biased and you can read and be certain early on when someone's truck bit the dust or a petty owner just crying etc.

seems 2014 had the major bugs worked out and no transmission issues I read other then some dealers trying to push an early service for some major $$$

·
Registered
196 Posts
I read that the clutch material thickness was reduced in 2015 and later.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I'd go with the '12 over the '11, had some problem child issues worked out by the '12 MY.

Also I would not be afraid to get into a 130k truck, as long as the OASIS report comes back pretty normal. You can take the VIN to any ford dealer and have them run the report for you, gives you all the warranty work done on the truck and sometimes lists other items such as oil changes, etc.

I ran from a truck that had 90k on it, absolutely beautiful, but the OASIS came back with five pages of warranty work, mentioning water in the hubs which told me it had been sunk in mud, etc.

I found my '12 with 133k on it (granted its an XLT) and two years later, she has almost 180k on her with minimal issues. Been a good truck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you everyone for all the information. Regarding the 14+ I don't think I'll be able to touch one for 25k or less unless its around the 200k mark. Seems as if either 100k or 130k on these trucks aren't to worry about. I've heard problems about the 2011s so I'll try to look for a 12 or 13. Thank you for all the info.

Nick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.