Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.
I’ll start by saying I did a search on here along with other forums as well, and didn’t come up with anything. Now getting to what I’ve got going on. I just noticed that my factory radiator is leaking from between the top plastic end cap and the radiator core, so I need to get a new radiator ASAP. I’ve used Mishimoto parts in the past for my BMW and other cars I’ve owned, and never had good luck with their parts. There was always something wrong with their parts which caused me to return them and get actual dealer parts. I have lost all trust in Mishimoto. I’m looking at the XDP X-tra cool radiator for my 04 6.0L F250, and I’m wondering if anyone here has any experience with it. According to the XDP website, the XDP X-tra cool radiator is made to eliminate the common end cap leaking issue and other common issues with the factory radiator. What’s the opinion on this radiator? Is it worth the $370 XDP wants for it? Let me know what you think about it. I really appreciate all the help I’ve received in the past.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
Would go with OEM personally. Its not a common leak source on the 6.0L radiators. XDP has some good stuff but also has a lot of made in the land of "insert name you cannot pronounce here" stuff too.

·
Mr. Crossthread
4,509 Posts
Hey everyone.
I’ll start by saying I did a search on here along with other forums as well, and didn’t come up with anything. Now getting to what I’ve got going on. I just noticed that my factory radiator is leaking from between the top plastic end cap and the radiator core, so I need to get a new radiator ASAP. I’ve used Mishimoto parts in the past for my BMW and other cars I’ve owned, and never had good luck with their parts. There was always something wrong with their parts which caused me to return them and get actual dealer parts. I have lost all trust in Mishimoto. I’m looking at the XDP X-tra cool radiator for my 04 6.0L F250, and I’m wondering if anyone here has any experience with it. According to the XDP website, the XDP X-tra cool radiator is made to eliminate the common end cap leaking issue and other common issues with the factory radiator. What’s the opinion on this radiator? Is it worth the $370 XDP wants for it? Let me know what you think about it. I really appreciate all the help I’ve received in the past.
Thanks in advance.

That or a prime cooling radiator will do fine. Mishimoto has a hard time even getting the product to the customer. Lol

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: partyman97_3

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,863 Posts
I would think that the XDP radiator would be just fine. That said, I sure haven't heard of any aftermarket radiator cooling any better than OEM.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ordered the XDP radiator. I’ll post some pictures when I have it in my hands

·
Old School
260 Posts
Would go with OEM personally. Its not a common leak source on the 6.0L radiators.
I would have to politely disagree with you on that. The plastic cap separating from the aluminum body is actually the most common leak with the radiators.

·
Registered
8,589 Posts
I would have to politely disagree with you on that. The plastic cap separating from the aluminum body is actually the most common leak with the radiators.

That's all good :wink: It didn't happen to three of my past 6.0ls and none of our old fleet f450s all 200k+ miles of hard towing) and when I googled it didn't come up with near the number of results for the more well known issues of non bulletproof or even studded 6.0Ls etc. Curious to see how the XDP unit holds up long term though.

·
Old School
260 Posts
That's all good :wink: It didn't happen to three of my past 6.0ls and none of our old fleet f450s all 200k+ miles of hard towing) and when I googled it didn't come up with near the number of results for the more well known issues of non bulletproof or even studded 6.0Ls etc. Curious to see how the XDP unit holds up long term though.
Consider yourself lucky? :dunno:

Happened to two of my 6.0s, as well as my neighbors. Happened at 130k and 170k with mine and at 200k for my neighbor. The exact same thing happened on a 2002 F150 I had with 240k. I would have to imagine that the plastic and aluminum are expanding/contracting at different rates and after so many cycles, the seal is compromised.

As far as googling, I just typed in "radiator leak 6.0 powerstroke" and the first page is all examples of the plastic caps separating. Maybe google is messing with us? :dunno: :D

Reactions: JustinOOO9

·
5,863 Posts
Mine blew out on me. I went w/ the BPD radiator and it works fine, I just don't think it cools any better than OEM.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I also have the BPD radiator which I purchased when I broke the plastic nipple, and the homemade repair did not work. The radiator is not a BPD logo'd product and is produced in Thailand, but I've had no issues with it, including towing 11k.

·
Premium Member
482 Posts
Personally, I like the idea of getting rid of anything plastic. The older model Mishimoto radiator had a lot of complaints because they marketed it as a better performing radiator, only later to find that it wasn't any better than stock as in no extra cooling capabilities. They did update the design which is actually better. But you can still find the old model as well on ebay. It can be had for a few hundred bucks. But basically eliminates the common failure point which is the crimped on plastic tanks, and looks great under the hood imo.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Once I get the xdp radiator I will take some pictures comparing it to the factory radiator and post them here. After I install it and get some mileage on it, I will post a review on it for others to read. The radiator in my truck right now has 207k miles on it, and I just noticed it was leaking. The leak went from a tiny trickle to a massive leak within about 3 miles from where I noticed it leaking. If I hadn’t popped the hood to show off my engine, I wouldn’t have noticed it at all until it over heated (which I’m happy I caught it before that happened). I had just done the cat ec1 elc swap about 10k miles ago when I changed my oil cooler and egr cooler. It wasn’t leaking at all at that point. I had a sinister oil cooler in it, which was a complete piece of garbage. My delta with the sinister oil cooler was a minimum 15 to 25 degrees on a 75 to 80 degree day going down the freeway at 70mph. I replaced it with the updated motorcraft oil cooler, and now my delta doesn’t get higher the 8 degrees at 70mph on a 100+ degree day. Towing a car trailer with a car on it, my delta is no more then 10 to 12 degrees on a 100+ degree day. I also installed a full flow coolant filter while I was at it just to be safe. I do plan on getting a bulletproof diesel air to oil cooler for it eventually, but it’s running good right now so my 1971 dodge demon is getting a full overhaul. She’s got a 600 horse naturally aspirated stroker motor with a 250 shot of nitrous and a tremec 5 speed transmission going in soon. Should be a fun drag car for the street.

·
It is What IT is
1,734 Posts
subscribed

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So here’s the XDP X-tea cool radiator. It looks just like the factory radiator. The XDP radiator has steel crimp strips holding the plastic end tanks on to the core. XDP claims the end tanks are a fiber reinforced plastic mix that increases the strength of the plastic. According to XDP this radiator is better then the factory radiator in every way. I don’t expect it to cool any better then the factory radiator, but a longer life would be nice. Here’s some pictures of it. It comes with fittings for both the quick disconnect and the threaded style transmission fluid line fittings.

·
5,863 Posts
IPR has had some issues w/ a few of their products - just seemed to be undersized. I am not sure I would trust them on a radiator.

A plastic tank can be fine. In many applications plastics can be superior to metal. Anyway, it is usually the seal that is the issue. With proper design and manufacturing practices there shouldn't be ANY issues.

·
Administrator
29,372 Posts
I would pick the BPD radiator any day / I have had mine for years and even with psi spikes over 17 it has held fine

Bulletproof makes it crystal clear that no cooling gains are claimed ( stock is fine IMO even in death valley towing ) and that this is not their Radiator but is in fact a Performance brand company radiator they buy in bulk
and add to the box the fittings you need for the 04 up trucks, directions and also put it in over sized box heavy duty box to help fight shippers damage ( if you buy from performance direct you need to buy an 03 style and retrofit the trans fittings and they ship in a light duty box

also if you buy a performance 04 up you get plastic tanks and new style trans fittings

the performance is metal tank and crimp for the 03 and has old style trans fittings

I think the crimp seal actually is a good thing for allowing movement

·
Administrator
29,372 Posts
It looks just like the factory radiator. The XDP radiator has steel crimp strips holding the plastic end tanks on to the core
what does the OEM tank use as a crimp that is different ? Aluminum ? can you look closely at the XDP unit and compare to your OEM
would be curious about any real gains over stock

·
Administrator
29,372 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts