Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just out of curiosity how safe an innovative X street tune is without studs or an EGR delete? im planning on both most likely next spring time, (can i turn the egr off in the tune and unplug it?) this year im getting all the body/system/interior items out of the way (plus last plowing season sucked so i dont want to drop 5k+ at once right now) truck has 70k on it now, baught it at 45k been tuned with just the street tune since 50k, fluids + filters all ways done with motorcraft stuff, truck has never had anything more then maintence done to it. just wondering if it would be safe to run an X street at the track or cruising around for a weekend.

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
Ive been running Either X Street or SRL for 50k without studs or egr delete. No problems

·
Registered
554 Posts
It really depends on how you treat it. If you are constantly rollin on 30 plus PSI then I dont think they will last but who knows. There are engines that can take and some just cant.

I have been running the SRL file WITH the EGR delete though and have had no issues. I would safely say that the EGR will probably blow the HG's before the tune will if its just for "cruising" around town and a few rips at the track.

If you do just the EGR delete that will resolve 90% percent of your chances for HG failure. You could save a mint by doing that now.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
Get some gauges so you can monitor your ECT & EOT and that'll go a long way to help you keep your truck safe. If you see the temp delta heading past 15* rebuild the oil cooler before you blow your EGR cooler. I ran my tunes for 35K before I studded and deleted the EGR from mine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I didnt realize and EGR delete would help up to "90%" with HG failure. What about a bulletproof upgrade? I live in Cali, so I cant delete.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Been running X Street for at least 20 or 30K without EGR delete. Was making 29PSI, with just an intake and exhaust, no issues. Most mods in my sig, including EGR delete, were just done, and I haven't even driven the truck yet. Not until Sepetmber. :( Even with the new turbo, I'm not worried about stretching my studs.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I was running with no studs and no delete, got custom tuned extreme street and blew my heads off in less than a month. I ran WOT one time. So be careful. I got them repaired and haven't had a problem since running extreme race now.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I was running with no studs and no delete, got custom tuned extreme street and blew my heads off in less than a month. I ran WOT one time. So be careful. I got them repaired and haven't had a problem since running extreme race now.
Not to derail, but a quick ? How do you like the X-Race? What would you say is the main difference in terms of driving characteristics vs Xtreme-Street?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not to be off topic. I ran extreme street and I liked it. Trans shifted hard though. Now I'm running gearhead's SRL+ tune and I love it. Shifts very smooth and is super quick. I'm studded and egr deleted also.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think a bulletproof cooler would be just as good as a delete. The EGR coolers work, when they are not plugged up with crap.

Like everyone says you will be fine, but also, get some gauges. Because in the X street your EGT's go up quicccckk

·
Registered
589 Posts
Not to derail, but a quick ? How do you like the X-Race? What would you say is the main difference in terms of driving characteristics vs Xtreme-Street?
Honestly, not sure why but my extreme street tune sucks. Runs hotter than my extreme race with less power. Obviously the TC doesn't lock in xtreme street, and does with race but I've learned to drive around down with extreme race so it shifts smooth. If you want to constantly race around xtreme race isn't for you. Because unless I'm WOT the shifts are verrry hard, and abnoxious if you drive around like you have a little car. If you sort of just cruise around town like I do, you will notice a huge gain in mpG with extreme race. I asked Eric to take a look at my xtreme street but he never did. I wish it was a better tune but honestly my truck just hates it, and it blew my heads. I honestly can't even get my EGTs over 1300 on extreme race and I can haul ***. My exteme street is quick but my EGTs fly up quickly and the heat just keeps rising.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I was actually curious if anyone had the same problem I had with extreme street. People are always commenting on how wonderful extreme street it and streetable. Personally I hate it. I don't understand how I can get 12mpg on the freeway with extreme street at 65, but extreme race is 14.5. Sounds like the tune got effed somewhere.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I can honestly say that I like srl and srl+ better for my DD, the shifting is so much nicer than Xrace.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I am getting over 22mpg hwy with Extreme Street and my mods, I really don't like how fast the EGT's go up but the rest of the tune is good.
On a side note the RCD street tune I have feels faster and does not get as hot but shifts weak.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I set the cruise just below 70, it seems to like that speed. My first tank by hand calc says 22mpg on a 400mile trip, with the Extreme Street tune. My lie o meter was saying 23.5 with the RCD street tune but like I said I don't like how it shifts so I don't use it much.

·
Registered
247 Posts
What is the difference between the SRL and the SRL+?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've run xrace and xstreet from Eric for probably 30-40k now without studs or egr delete and have had no known problems. I did have a coolant bottle crack but no problems since I replaced it.

I think it's ok as long as you don't go beat the hell out of it all day everyday. But every truck is different and you gotta pay to play.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts