Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What temp does wvo need to be heated to in the tank before I switch from dino diesel? Or, as long as I'm not trying to start the engine on it does it need to be heated?

·
HardLuck Case of the Year
3,541 Posts
About 180 degrees is good to start running on WVO. At that temp is when WVO has the same consistancy of diesel. If I'm correct, many of the WVO kits have a heated filter and/or pump that will help out in the heating of the WVO.

Check out FN74's WVO kit designed for the 7.3L PSD and do a search via Google for 7.3L WVO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i dont know what type of kit u have but i would suggest when the motor is at operating temp. never stsrt with wvo or shut off and let cool compleatly off with wvo in the system....just my .02 worth

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
You don't heat the tank at all, just the oil being pulled from the tank. Heat exchangers in the fuel system heat the oil to at or near 160 degrees. At 160 the viscosity of the oil is very near the same as that of diesel. Anything hotter than 160 is a waste of time because the viscosity really doesn't get more fluid past that. If you use a Vegistroke kit like i have, the oil is fed through the fuel rails from the back of the heads and that is your final heat exchanger as the heads are well above 160* so when the oil enters the rails, it is heated properly for injection. The engine must reach full operating temp before the system will switch automatically to vegi oil. The vegistroke kit has a heated fuel pickup line called a hotfox in the tank to heat the oil it is pulling from the tank, heated with hot engine coolant, then another heat exchanger midway through the fuel system and a 12v heated filter to allow the oil to be hot to flow through the filter element and then on to the hot fuel rails.
The vegistroke sustem is the best (IMO) and simplest system for a PSD on the market and I highly reccommend it. I have 11k miles on vegi since installing a vegistroke and i love the system.

·
Registered
92 Posts
well

I 'm abby normal and the difference between insanity and genius is a fine line

which im not scared to cross .

i said F.. orget. that 2 tank system cause I cant remember to switch the switch and purge when im DUI :shots:

my system uses 5/8 fuel sustem with aeromotive A1000 w/ custom aluminim rotor broke 3 of the stock 1"s . sys. uses radator coolant tee"D off of line to heater they run to the only fuel tank into trans cooler used as heat exchanger .coolant to veggie . i dont know my fuel temps . but i run 70-95 psi fuel pressure when cold .. hot 65psi hot diesel id 60-62psi
u can see an inverse relationship between viscosity and pressure
so when i start in straight veggie ill have no power . .it takes 2. -3 min to warm up . 0-1 miles 0-5 lbs boost 1-2miles -10 lbs max boost .2-3m is like 10- 15lbs . after that i can get up to 20lbs max boost on veggie i have seen is 26lbs. my max # dynoed were 267 hp 615 lbs trQ @ rear wheels

i think thats pretty good:burnout

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
Wtf?

Wait:shots:let me :shots:catch :shots:up :shots:with your:shots:state :shots:eek:f :shots:intoxication:shots:

Oka, tht shoold duu...now i'll reed that agin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts