Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
from what he said I'm guessing. "your intake is so clogged with carbon chances are it'll have to be replaced"

mind you… work hasn't begun. this is all what has been diagnosed and what they told me before they started work. glad they called before the work was done…

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
my SCT LW/TS diagnosed a bad #6 a week before i took it in. but the main injector FICM voltage was always a steady 48v. so i don't know if **** just declined that quick. i live in buffalo and it was -20 or more for a good month with windchill. i left the truck plugged in all night and had a few rough mornings but never really an issue till the day i had it towed. once in awhile it ran rough once the #6 popped up, but nothing serious. i left work on a friday after letting the truck run a solid 15-20 min. it was running a little sluggish but once it shifted to 2nd gear it would stutter and stall out. it was a pain getting it fired up, but id let it sit for a few then same thing. it wasn't just temps though that caused the issues, some days if it was around 15-20 above 0 i would be fine. other days at 20 it would run rough. so i ruled out temps up until the day it died out.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
they said due to the injector failure, fuel wasn't burning 100% and caused the intake to get coated with carbon. which makes sense still i have the EGR system still intact..

How do they know the intake is chocked with carbon if it wasn't, removed and inspected:dohno:

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
+1 on how they can claim any injector issue with a bad FICM. And might I just say that the warranty they sold you SUCKS! WTH does a CAT delete and tire size have to do with anything? :dunno:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
i can't agree more with the tire size or cat. what i joke right? trust me. I've had a few strong ones to get me over the frustration of the situation… but in all seriousness I've been wondering the same. how does one diagnose a clogged intake. "probably one of the worst ones I've ever seen"…. if you haven't taken the intake off how can you say its that bad. its not like you're doing a peak flow test or something. I'm 24. I'm not some mechanic with 40 years experience but I'm also not completely ignorant. but i also don't have all the time in the world to do one trial and error step at a time. my truck is my daily driver. thankfully i work in the medical field now and i work 4 days on 4 off, so i will have some time to tinker and do some serious work… i just need to figure out where to start and how to decipher the bull...

·
'consent of the governed'
5,754 Posts
Hey, midnite rider, do you think your sig pics are big enough?:rofl:

Check your FICM, if it's bad, replace/repair. Then pull the EGR valve and see what he probably saw. I'm sure that's as far as he went.

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts

Check your FICM, if it's bad, replace/repair. Then pull the EGR valve and see what he probably saw. I'm sure that's as far as he went.

Ya I'm out of town I need to down size lol. KR looks nice though

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
haha nice sig pics, be proud of your ride. yours runs right? show that off hahahaha. and sounds good. ill start there and see where it goes. i got the big picture with the added frustration on top of it that made the whole situation that much worse..

·
Premium Member
1,676 Posts
haha nice sig pics, be proud of your ride. yours runs right? show that off hahahaha. and sounds good. ill start there and see where it goes. i got the big picture with the added frustration on top of it that made the whole situation that much worse..

Thanks, hope you get it straightened out :thumb:

Reactions: ahycner

·
Administrator
30,791 Posts

I can't see it
I had to turn off view signatures because of the websites failure to set a pic size limit
I miss a lot of truck info because of that :look: but got tired of seeing 1/2 page images specially of an OBS with junk on the hood LOL

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
my SCT LW/TS diagnosed a bad #6 a week before i took it in. but the main injector FICM voltage was always a steady 48v. so i don't know if **** just declined that quick. i live in buffalo and it was -20 or more for a good month with windchill. i left the truck plugged in all night and had a few rough mornings but never really an issue till the day i had it towed. once in awhile it ran rough once the #6 popped up, but nothing serious. i left work on a friday after letting the truck run a solid 15-20 min. it was running a little sluggish but once it shifted to 2nd gear it would stutter and stall out. it was a pain getting it fired up, but id let it sit for a few then same thing. it wasn't just temps though that caused the issues, some days if it was around 15-20 above 0 i would be fine. other days at 20 it would run rough. so i ruled out temps up until the day it died out.
You say your FICM volts were a steady 48 but the dealership says it is bad? Have you checked them recently yourself?

I drove my truck to work one day and it was fine. Left work that night and halfway home it started bucking, running rough, and blowing some white smoke. Injector went. Had stiction for quite a while before but was surprised how it just went that quickly. This was during winter as well with temps below 10.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts

Exactly what I was going to say. Removed EGR valve and looked in.

Remove intake, lots of chemicals, water, brushes, and time and you can get it probably 80 -90% clean. Otherwise, if you have the money get a ported intake from Nate (Windrunner408).

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
just got a call back from the dealership, warranty voids all coverage due to tire size (which is exactly what was on it when i bought it) and the catalytic converter being removed. don't bother giving me hell, I'm already fired up enough. thats another story… $5,000 in parts and labor...

questions are as follows, and trust me, i need some input on this one guys.

came back as 3 bad injectors, a bad ficm, intake manifold is so choked up with carbon along with EGR valve and cooler needs to be replaced.

what I'm wondering is, IF i tell the company to shove it and do it myself..are there any tips that i should keep in mind before i purchase anything? any injector input? refurb or OEM new? where are the best prices or places to start looking?

FICM, what do i need to know or look for?

any manifold input would help too. this is the first time I'm really going to dive in under the hood.

i have a River City Diesel EGR delete that i was getting ready to put in next month… but clearly, things changed. so i no longer have to worry about any of those parts, correct? probably a dumb question but I'm not thinking clearly after all the aggravation..

with all the parts ill be replacing, is it deep enough to really consider doing my studs or is that way more involved at this point. i don't have a way to lift the cab either, so it'll have to be cab on as of now..

i have a decent background in mechanics. i was a helo mech in the Marines, so I'm not completely worthless with a wrench.. so maybe that'll help with any answers..

thanks in advance guys for any input or tips...
What's your budget?

Injectors: Warren rebuilt to save some money, OEM refurb $$$

FICM: Replace just the circuit board on the cheap, Rebuilt FICM $$, OEM $$$, BPD $$$$

Intake manifold: Remove and clean, Replace with used or OEM $$, ported intake $$$

Do the EGR delete

With tearing it down that far, although a lot more work, it would make sense to do the rest while it's apart, but again that depends on money and time. You'll probably want to do studs, head gaskets, have heads machined, oil cooler, STC fitting, stand pipes and dummy plugs, glow plugs, and coolant flush/change. There are some other things that you may want to think about replacing/upgrading at the same time if they haven't already been done (turbo feed and drain tubes, blue spring, etc.).

EDIT: Oh, and I like AutoNation for Ford parts. XDP for some stuff (military discount as well). I spent days searching to get the best prices but don't overlook customer service. Some deals are too good to be true.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts