Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just like the title says. I had some issues with the truck this past weekend and noticed the pass side wheel bearing is bad and in need of replacement. I contacted AutoZone and Advanced Auto here locally and was told I have to buy the entire hub assembly in order to get the wheel bearing. Does anyone know where I can get only the wheel bearing and possibly the race for it? How much? I need to get one ASAP before I damage something else......

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
well i dont know where you can get them but i know you dont have to buy the whole thing lol

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's what I am hoping. AutoZone and Advanced quoted me a CRAZY price for the whole assembly. (just one more piece of ammo for the wife to try and make me get rid of the truck).......

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
did you try an actual ford dealer that would be where i would start
another thing that i would try is take the bearing out and get the number off of it some times i can even get bearings for them through john deere if i have the actual bearing number

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
Trying to find an accurate website to determine the race and bearing numbers. One website has the NTN numbers as:

inner race: 102910
inner bearing: 102949
outer race: 15245
outer bearing: 15101

Autozone shows to have a kit: Part Number: 72791, not sure if it includes both bearings and races or not.

Edit: After looking more, those are probably just bearings for a 2wd.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Autozone and Advanced were asking if my production date was before or after 03/21/99. My truck only sayd production date as 03/99. How can I find out what the day was for the date?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
lol do you have a napa close by they are better for parts if you as me lol

·
Sparkplugs Not Required
405 Posts
I'd definitely try NAPA. They seem to be really good at having those type of parts. You may have to get the hub apart and take it in to see if they can cross reference a number.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
^^^^ yea what he said part numbers and bearing numbers are a key to this kinda stuff cause even if they dont show the abilitly to get "that" bearing and race if you give them the number they say ooo this one is the same just gotta find somebody willing to help you a little

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
i got mine from advanced. on your door will be the real date. and also, you have to replace the whole think, you can not get to the bearings in a 4x4 hub. i have changed them atlest 10x between our work trucks

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know where I can get the instructions on how to replace/install the wheel bearing for the front pass side? Truck info is in the sig

·
Registered
67 Posts
You have to replace the whole hub. I just did mine last night. Once you get the wheel off you have to pull the brake caliper(two 21mm bolts) and rotor off. The locking part of hub has a lock ring on the out side take that off and you can pull it out of the hub assembly. Had to tap mine with a hammer to get it off. Then there is a lock ring on the inside of the axle, with a washer, nut , and another washer. Then you have four nuts on the back side next to the axle(I think they are 19mm or 21mm). You have to disconect the ABS plug. It will now come out with a little work. Again a hammer and pry bar worked great. I got my whole hub from a place called Tampa Powertrain. $255 bucks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts