Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys after many hours of trying to get my windows 8 to detect and install my sct programmer drivers through my Virtual Machine on my MacBook Pro I have decided to throw in the towel.

The only thing I need windows for is so that I can update my sct and swap tunes on it. That's all it will be used for so I'm looking for a CHEAP CHEAP used laptop no desktops (I don't have anywhere to put a desktop) that works and will run the software for SCT.

I know this is in the 6.0 General Discussion but I figured who better to ask than my fellow 6.0 and SCT owners. Thanks guys. Mods please don't move this I need it here so people will see this lol.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I have a Dell 600m that can be yours for $150 shipped. PM if you are interested and/or want specs of the laptop.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's cool man thanks for the reply but honestly the thing won't be used ever only to swap tunes and update firmware on my programmer. No offense to you or anyone else when I say this as I'm not trying to say your comp isn't work that much, I'm just looking for something super cheap like $50 or maybe a little more with shipping as I won't ever use it cause I have my MBP that I use all the time or my iPhone.

All I care is that it starts up and will connect to the internet so I can download my tunes and swap them to the programmer lol I know it sounds harsh but other than this particular instance I have 0 use for a windows pc anymore I love my MBP.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Honestly I just took a stab in the dark. After looking on ebay you're right. It isn't worth much. :rofl:

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no clue how much it was worth to be honest with you. I just know that I'm not looking to spend a bunch of money on a laptop that will get used maybe twice a year if that. Know what I mean??

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Oh yea I totally understand and i'm still amazed that SCT doesn't make a Mac version of their software. Good luck with the search!

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
With a windows based laptop, you will also be able to purchase Autoenginuity Ford Total Bundle. Just a thought, there is only so much you can do with DashBoss, Edge CS/CTS or ScangaugeII.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Hmm can I use vista 64 bit with my SCT ? I've never tried to hook mine to my laptop just never had to swap tunes .

·
Registered
288 Posts
You've got to have a friend with a PC laptop... If you're only going to need it once in a blue moon, just borrow one!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Hmm can I use vista 64 bit with my SCT ? I've never tried to hook mine to my laptop just never had to swap tunes .
I don't see why you wouldn't be able to. I used my SCT with Win7 64-bit no problem.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ok guys after many hours of trying to get my windows 8 to detect and install my sct programmer drivers through my Virtual Machine on my MacBook Pro I have decided to throw in the towel.

The only thing I need windows for is so that I can update my sct and swap tunes on it. That's all it will be used for so I'm looking for a CHEAP CHEAP used laptop no desktops (I don't have anywhere to put a desktop) that works and will run the software for SCT.

I know this is in the 6.0 General Discussion but I figured who better to ask than my fellow 6.0 and SCT owners. Thanks guys. Mods please don't move this I need it here so people will see this lol.
Not to derail your thread.. If I am just ignore me. Lol. But why won't Virtual Machine work with sct software? I'm a Mac user too and am about to get a program (thinking Parallels, unless there's something better) for windows so I can run SCT and AE programs.... I'd be pissed if I bought one and it didn't work!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I tried virtual box under linux with Win XP, and it would run both SCT's software and Edge's but not interface with either device. Something in the usb data stream, probably related to device-level encryption. On a native XP build they both work as advertised. I'm in the same position as the OP but really don't want a windoze box; why won't they build Mac or Linux support?

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
I feel the pain of my fellow Mac users... I have an OLD pc desktop downstairs and the only reason it's there is to update the CTS!!

I would be SOOO happy to see some Mac support from Edge.

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
:dunno: I just sent them an email... we'll see what they say.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
OP I can see how much it is for shipping tomorrow if you are interested. I have a sony vaio that is like a year or two old but the screen is messed up. I could send you a pic if you want, can still read most of the screen just perfect for something you will hardly ever use :dunno: Lemme know

·
Registered
192 Posts
So is the issue you are having with the OS or with the VM? I imagine that you could pick up a license for win 7 for about what you are looking to pay for anyway. If it is an issue with the VM not connecting to the device right then you could make a partition on your MBP hard drive and install the windows via boot camp. By doing this you are actually booting to that windows OS rather than OSX.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts