Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that the PO installed a Chinese knock off belt tensioner and it’s fubar. It doesn’t have the locking tab in the bottom like the Motocraft one has so I have no good way of relieving the belt tension. It’s damn near impossible to get a wrench down to the adjuster to use that method so, any suggestions? Other than get a ford one, which I’ve already placed an order for one.

The belt looks alright but the tensioner is making noise and kind of pulsating when idling, meaning it jumps up and down instead of keeping a constant pressure on the belt. It makes a hell of a noise when it’s doing that unless I spray it down with a lubricant of some sort.

I’ve also found that whoever did the head studs (I’m assuming this) has trapped a wire loom between the thermostat housing and the exhaust manifold, I’m sure that’s going to be a problem eventually so I need to figure out how to get that loom out of the position that it’s in. I have no idea what it goes to at this moment. My plan today was to change out the tensioner and replace it. That doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen today.

Automotive tire Wood Fender Font Art

I’m hoping when I replace the thermostat I will be able to get that out of there but it looks pretty damn stuck to me. How hard is it to remove the whole thermostat assembly?

So instead of working on that I’m doing the fast idle mod and wiring up gauges to power and such. (Im also installing an EGT gauge and a fuel pressure gauge).

lastly, anyone have a source for the metal latches on the air filter assembly? Not sure why but one of them is no longer there and I just changed the filter out so I know they were all there when I put it in. I’ve only driven about ten miles since that was done.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
33,908 Posts
you can strategically loosen the alternator belts and tip the alternator to get the belt off

your wire loom can't just push back thru the area it is trapped in ?

if you missing a latch at least make sure the ones closest to the engine are in place even if you have to use one from the front ( you want a good seal on the filtered air to the motor

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
“you can strategically loosen the alternator belts and tip the alternator to get the belt off”

I will try that in the morning the wind is picking up here and I don’t have a garage so when it blows it sucks.

“your wire loom can't just push back thru the area it is trapped in ?”

I haven’t been able to so far and I’ve used a large pry bar on it but I don’t want to put too much pressure on it and cause more problems with broken wires. Maybe if I lube it up really well and then remove the thermostat I’m hoping it will come out. 🤞

“If you missing a latch at least make sure the ones closest to the engine are in place even if you have to use one from the front ( you want a good seal on the filtered air to the motor).

Yeah the missing link so to speak is in the front so I’m not overly concerned but I want things to be correct. I hate half assed jobs and there seems to be a few of them on this truck. Like the belt tensioner and the snorkel being cut off the air cleaner as a couple of examples.

Reactions: ZMANN

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
lastly, anyone have a source for the metal latches on the air filter assembly?
I found them on e-bay when i was looking for them years ago. Junk yard possibly, but call ahead.
It’s damn near impossible to get a wrench down to the adjuster to use that method so, any suggestions? Other than get a ford one, which I’ve already placed an order for one.
I’ve gotten them out with the the smallest 1/2” wrench I could find. That sucked. I bought the Ford belt tension tool. That was slightly wasier, but still sucked.

I’ve tried what a zman mentioned, but it did not work for me. The bolt came off the manifold, luckily not stripping it, and the alternator went flying.

I do think the pulley needs to be replaced asap. I had one shatter in a different vehicle and that caused. Hundreds of dollars of damage.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With this chinesium tensioner I haven’t been able to get my 1/2” flex head to seat. There isn’t enough room to get behind the breaker bar with anything to help push it into the adjuster. I’m not even sure it’s a half inch opening. It might be a 3/8” for all I know. With the fan shroud on I can’t see the opening well enough to determine it’s actual size. I don’t have a long handled 3/8” breaker bar. I’m thinking I might just cut the belt off since my new belt will be here Tuesday. Luckily I have another truck and a car so I don’t need this one right now. Good thing :D.
The truck starts and runs just fine other than this issue. I don’t want to drive it until that is fixed though. It might just break while on the road and it’s much easier to work on it at home than having to get it towed home to work on.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You want to see something funny? It’s the kind of crap we have to deal with in Alaska. Look at the shipping cost. (I was looking for the spring clips for my air filter and took a rabbit hole).

White Light Product Font Material property

The shipping to Fife Washington is free, I checked. Heck sometimes I see “this item is not available” and change zip codes and it’s magically available again, with free shipping. I use a barge service in Fife so I send stuff there all the time. So far the most I’ve paid is $30.00 for anything doing that. That’s probably going to change though since I ordered a weighsafe hitch and I’m using the barge. But even that almost 200lb item would have only been around $300.00 to ship it all the way up here by truck from weighsafe. I don’t have a problem with paying shipping but as Brandon says, “Come on man”.

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts
There is a Craftsman adjustable fan belt wrench that works well and inexpensive at Lowe’s.

Since the intake gaskets are reusable, loosen the bolts and the bolt holding the fuel line, letting the intake come up a little. That will relieve the compression on the harness so you can move it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
You want to see something funny? It’s the kind of crap we have to deal with in Alaska. Look at the shipping cost. (I was looking for the spring clips for my air filter and took a rabbit hole).

View attachment 784325

The shipping to Fife Washington is free, I checked. Heck sometimes I see “this item is not available” and change zip codes and it’s magically available again, with free shipping. I use a barge service in Fife so I send stuff there all the time. So far the most I’ve paid is $30.00 for anything doing that. That’s probably going to change though since I ordered a weighsafe hitch and I’m using the barge. But even that almost 200lb item would have only been around $300.00 to ship it all the way up here by truck from weighsafe. I don’t have a problem with paying shipping but as Brandon says, “Come on man”.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lowes is only about 300 miles from here, home cheapo is closer it’s about 150 :LOL:o_O That’s one issue with living in a not quite in the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from here kind of place.

I plan on doing the blue spring mod so the fuel line to the fuel filter will be disconnected anyway so what’s another while I’m in there. I’ll give that a try if it doesn’t come loose when I remove the thermostat.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Lowes is only about 300 miles from here, home cheapo is closer it’s about 150 :LOL:o_O That’s one issue with living in a not quite in the middle of nowhere, but you can see it from here kind of place.

I plan on doing the blue spring mod so the fuel line to the fuel filter will be disconnected anyway so what’s another while I’m in there. I’ll give that a try if it doesn’t come loose when I remove the thermostat.
No ford dealers?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that link. I found some on eBay for $15.99 with free shipping. But that is a bit excessive and even though I’m not a fan of Amazon unless I find something else I might have to pick one up. I usually only buy things from Amazon that I know they’re not making much on because of what it costs to ship it here. I buy HEAVY things with free shipping like two cases of transmission fluid and thing’s like that.

Reactions: RMTZ07PS

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
does amazon deliver there?
Yeah, but like I said I’m not a fan so I try and only buy things from them that they won’t make much on like engine oil, transmission fluid cases and stuff like that. And it needs to be cheaper than I can get locally by a fair amount. I also use Amazon smile and my charity is the NRA so they have to give a portion of every order to them.

Reactions: Hydro and bismic

·
Premium Member
3,350 Posts

The Lowes that had it was 20 miles away, it shipped for $6. At today's fuel prices, it was worth it.

Product Rectangle Azure Font Material property

·
Premium Member
11,484 Posts
There is a Craftsman adjustable fan belt wrench that works well and inexpensive at Lowe’s.

Since the intake gaskets are reusable, loosen the bolts and the bolt holding the fuel line, letting the intake come up a little. That will relieve the compression on the harness so you can move it.
Can't remember how long i've had that tool lol... I couldn't find it for a week once and needed it to do a job for a friend. grabbed a harbor freight one and it stripped on a 2005 corolla lol... Ordered a new one and found the old. Needless to say my nephew got a new tool that year XD

1 - 20 of 26 Posts