Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The write-up was supplied by Bismic, who got it from another 6.0 enthusiast, I just took the pics as I went along.

How to: Remove Waterpump
STEP 1-Disconnect the negative battery connections
STEP 2-Begin by draining the radiator by opening the valve at the bottom. Let this drain and move on to the next steps.

STEP 3-Disconnect the upper radiator hose that comes from the thermostat,the small hose that leads to the degas bottle and the electric connection for the fan.
STEP 4-Carefully detach the plastic covers that are snapped in on top of the fan shroud.

STEP 5-Remove the two 8mm bolts that hold the front fan shroud to the radiator.

STEP 6-Get underneath the truck and disconnect the lower radiator hose slowly to minimize getting the rest of the coolant all over the place.

STEP 7-Dissconnect the two transmission cooloing lines that are attached to the bottom of the radiator.

STEP 8-Back on top of the radiator the two mounting brackets are removed by loosening the four 8mm bolts.

STEP 9-You can pull the radiator forward allowing room to slowly pull the front fan shroud upward and out of the truck.
STEP 10-Follow this by slowly lifting up on the radiator and remove it from the truck.I did this to allow more working room.
STEP 11-At this point, the fan assembly needs to be removed to access the water pump.
STEP 12-Unclip the fan wire harness from the rear fan shroud.

STEP 13-The rear fan shroud (stator) is attached to the engine with four 15mm bolts. Two at the top and two at the bottom. Access was easy between the fan blades with ratchet extensions.

STEP 14-Now pull the rear fan shroud forward to expose the fan clutch nut.
STEP 15-I use a long screwdriver placed in the holes of the water pump pulley cover to keep it from moving. Instead of the expensive fan wrenches or removal tools, I used a 18" pipe wrench ($15 at tool store) on the nut,turning it counterclockwise.Found it easier to get this nut from underneath the truck,had to put extension pipe on wrench(nut was tight to get off).

STEP 16-Upon loosening the nut the entire way,you can now carefully remove the fan and the rear shroud all at the same time up and out of the truck.
STEP 17- Remove belt using 1/2" drive clockwise on belt tentioner. Remove belt.

STEP 18- The water pulley cover is attached by four 10mm bolts.

STEP 19-The water pump is now exposed.Remove the four 10mm bolts that attach the pump to the front cover.A slight tap popped the water pump off of the engine.

Removal and install should take 4 hours or less,The radiator was very dirty from bugs and oils from daily driving,sparyed with mild degreaser and hosed clean,used plastic bags and rubber bands to seal off trans cooler lines so i didn't get water in them.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
5,964 Posts
Great pics, thanks for the thread!!

·
Registered
534 Posts
Great write up..This is what this forum needs more of, How-Too with photos..

·
Premium Member
9,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good write up. I'm going to leave this here for a little while for people to ask questions, then stick it in the tech files.
Thank you Goose!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Great info.
Thanks you

·
Slacker
19,118 Posts
GREAT write up! I especially like the variety of pointing devices to point to various bolts and other parts.... :D

·
Premium Member
9,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GREAT write up! I especially like the variety of pointing devices to point to various bolts and other parts.... :D
Thanks!! I knew the wooden dowel from a small flag would come in handy some day!! Ha!

·
Registered
786 Posts
Nice write up!!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good write up. I'm going to leave this here for a little while for people to ask questions, then stick it in the tech files.
Are we ready to stick this yet? Or have you been slacking like Shawn!! LOL!! JK!!

·
Slacker
19,118 Posts
Are we ready to stick this yet? Or have you been slacking like Shawn!! LOL!! JK!!
He's wisely following my lead... :hehe:

Reactions: john galt

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Is it possible to replace the water pump without removing the fan or radiator?

·
Premium Member
9,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you still have the stator on the truck, then it's almost impossible, because getting enough wrench swing to loosen the fan nut is gonna be hard to do with the amount of room between the stator fins and bolt mounts. In order to have enough room for the stator to be pulled forward, you must at least remove the fan shroud. The fan bolts thru the belt pulley, the fan and pulley must come off in order to gain access to the water pump bolts.

Removing the radiator is a precaution as to not damage the cooling fins. If your careful, you can get away with leaving in the radiator.

You'll be surprised on how fast/easy the fan shroud and radiator is to remove as long as you don't booger up the trans line nut (use a line wrench).The entire job is very easy to accomplish in your driveway. The hardest part was getting the fan nut to break loose.

My stator went missing after the first install, after that the only parts I had to physically remove from the truck was the fan shroud, fan, and belt pulley.

·
Slacker
19,118 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts