Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will an EGR delete cause to the wrench light to come on. Truck is running good. The light will come on after cruising at 65 mph for at least twenty miles. Turn the engine off and the light will go off, until you cruise for 20 more miles.:confused:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You should get the codes read to see exactly what is setting the wrench light.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
most likely the wrench light is either overboost or oil temp. If the oil temp is hotter than coolant(15*) than it will set the wrench light. Does the engine defuel when the wrench light comes on?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
no runs fine. It only comes on at maintained speeds( cruise controlled) Turn the key off. Resart the engine and all is fine

·
Registered
33 Posts
Going thru the exact same issue same issue......Have your system checked while light is still on. Dealer is Austin did it while I waited. Delta was 22 degrees......restricted oil cooler. ERG cooler tested fine, but doesn't matter cuz it still needs replacing/deleting. Drove back home 60 miles....light came back on. Check under truck this morning and appears degas bottle burped, due to flashpoint, and spewed about a pint onto the driveway. This is the very first loss of coolant for me. From everything I have learned here.....it appears that my EGR cooler has/or is about ready to rupture. In either case oill cooler needs to be replaced AND ERG needs to be replace/deleted.

Tried the "glove" test to check head gaskets.....no inflation. So it appears that my oil cooler bcame restricted, wrench light would come on under cruising temps, I luckily swung by a dealer to have it checked, had my first Degas "burp", and it "Appears" that the head gaskets are still intact.

As a result.....I'm flushing the gold crap out (replacing with silicate free coolant), replacing oil cooler and ERG (BPD's, no delete), Cleaning/repalcing EGR valve as needed, adding a fuel pressure reg upgrade spring, installing Sinister"s coolant filter, and NOT touching the headbolts, yet (too pricey). and lastly....adding a scan tool to monitor all system temps, especially ECT/EOT. NOT BAD for a newbie with internet and a diesel forum....LOL

Work done at dealer...3-3.5K.....My driveway, with help from my firends here. 1-1.2K. blow your heads....dealer will charge upwards of 5K. Huge savings to be had with early detection.

MY SUGGESTION!!!!!! spend lots of time reading....excellent info here. Bullet Proof Diesel has some excellent videos explaining how everything is interrelated, made sense to this diesel newbie.

***Most importantly*** check your ECT/EOT differential!!! ASAP...before all else goes south......then the costs can really rack up!!!!!

Hope this helped.....

PJ

·
Registered
151 Posts
would it happen to be the 'insufficient EGR flow' code? I can't remember if the wrench light, or check engine might comes on for that one.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
would it happen to be the 'insufficient EGR flow' code? I can't remember if the wrench light, or check engine might comes on for that one.
The "insufficient egr flow detected" code illuminates the "check engine light" and not the wrench light.
Wrench is probably the P012F code, which is the ECT/EOT correlation code.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My "wrench light" was turbo overboost.
Cleaned up the turbo and it runs like a new truck!

·
Premium Member
24,834 Posts
get your codes read, mine is at the dealer today. I got sporatic wrench lights and limp mode. got 3 codes for the throttle. replacing the fuel pedal assembly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
come to find out my oil was overfilled by at least a gallon. put 300 miles yesterday and no wrench lite. Really should replace oil cooler, that makes since.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts