Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2005 F250 Crewcab 4x4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forever, my truck when we leave on a camping trip the first long grade I hit the wrench light comes on and goes into limp mode, so just turn the key off then back on and its fine the rest of the trip. I've checked for codes but NO codes. I think it has something to do with the trans not down shifting soon enough ? Anyone else had this issue ?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
10,195 Posts
If you have a wrench light, then you have a code.

Get ForScan or ForScan Lite and it will retrieve the code. Check for the code when the wrench light is on.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts

Get ForScan or ForScan Lite and it will retrieve the code. Check for the code when the wrench light is on.
THIS ^^

And I will add: If it only happens when you pull your camper, you'll probably see either a turbo over/underboost code or a P012F code which indicates a large difference between your coolant (ECT) and oil (EOT) temps. P012F is indicative of a possible sensor(s) going bad or more than likely, a failing (restricted) oil cooler on the coolant side. If you still have a functioning EGR system, be careful with what you do from here, because this sets off a chain reaction which can lead to head gasket failure.

1. Restricted oil cooler causes low coolant flow to your EGR cooler.
2, Lower coolant flow to your EGR cooler causes the EGR cooler to rupture.
3. A ruptured EGR cooler sends coolant into your intake & exhaust system and can cause excessive cylinder pressures, which then takes out the HG's.
4. A plugged oil cooler can also cause the oil cooler to rupture and put oil in your coolant system (think milkshake!).

Not saying this is what WILL happen, just wanting you to be aware of the possibility so you can't say no one warned you :D

-jokester

·
10,195 Posts
LOL. I don't think Jimejoe is coming back. His profile reflected that he read my reply and didn't respond. Not the answer he was looking for I guess. For some reason, many people seem to think that any old code reader should work just as well as any other.

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
Let's just hope that he did heed the warnings and is looking deeper into things...

-jokestet

·
Registered
2005 F250 Crewcab 4x4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh dear powerstroke brothers, if I was scared I would have sold this truck years ago... I bought this truck new, and I have heard every horror story there is, and I have replaced some things along the way but nothing major, I do my regular maintenance myself, I haven't fallen for all the hype add-ons. And if I'm found on the side of the road dead, I might consider bullet proofing but not until then, I just can't start replacing everything until you guys are pleased. This is really the only issue I've had with the truck, and I have a long time diesel mechanic friend that has all the right tools for checking everything about this truck, There was NO code... It has done this since new. Just turn the key off then back on and it doesn't do it again. I work it like a dog pulling a camper several times a year with no other issues. Just thought that some of you might have a simple explanation...No Biggie . Thanks, Jim

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
498 Posts
I like your reply…

BUT:

Hey, you posted for all to see. Why not fix it and tell us all what happened? It’ll help somebody. Maybe it’s just a silly sensor but the diag and repair might be valuable info for other Fred Sanfords.

·
Registered
2005 F250 Crewcab 4x4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I like your reply…

BUT:

Hey, you posted for all to see. Why not fix it and tell us all what happened? It’ll help somebody. Maybe it’s just a silly sensor but the diag and repair might be valuable info for other Fred Sanfords.
will post if the problem is figured out... what is the meaning of Fred Sanfords ?

·
Premium Member
2004 F250 SD 6.0
498 Posts
Good deal. Someone posted something about Fred Sanford syndrome in another thread. Like an idiot, I posted my response (gif above) to that in this thread. It stuck with me…

We do appreciate you telling us what is found and the remedy. From time to time, I have little stupid things that go wrong and I can usually find someone else here who has the same issue. Good community of people here… also very forgiving thank goodness.

·
Registered
14 Posts
LOL. I don't think Jimejoe is coming back. His profile reflected that he read my reply and didn't respond. Not the answer he was looking for I guess. For some reason, many people seem to think that any old code reader should work just as well as any other.
This may not be relevant but I can't seem to find much help on this issue.I just had a KC stage 2 turbo, 175/30 injectors, S&B intake and FASS fuel lift and return installed on my 06 F-350 and it don't have much power. I ran 0-60 in almost 13 seconds. it runs smooth even at WOT, but is pushing a lot of black smoke from about 1/2 to WOT. I ordered a new MAF sensor and MAP sensor, and waiting till they arrive to install. what are good reading for air flow? Ive ran Blessed diesel tunes performance and tow, and tunes from TSD tunes from Chris and Charlie, they all perform the same, not much power. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
14 Posts
This may not be relevant but I can't seem to find much help on this issue.I just had a KC stage 2 turbo, 175/30 injectors, S&B intake and FASS fuel lift and return installed on my 06 F-350 and it don't have much power. I ran 0-60 in almost 13 seconds. it runs smooth even at WOT, but is pushing a lot of black smoke from about 1/2 to WOT. I ordered a new MAF sensor and MAP sensor, and waiting till they arrive to install. what are good reading for air flow? Ive ran Blessed diesel tunes performance and tow, and tunes from TSD tunes from Chris and Charlie, they all perform the same, not much power. Any suggestions?

·
10,195 Posts
oh dear powerstroke brothers, if I was scared I would have sold this truck years ago... I bought this truck new, and I have heard every horror story there is, and I have replaced some things along the way but nothing major, I do my regular maintenance myself, I haven't fallen for all the hype add-ons. And if I'm found on the side of the road dead, I might consider bullet proofing but not until then, I just can't start replacing everything until you guys are pleased. This is really the only issue I've had with the truck, and I have a long time diesel mechanic friend that has all the right tools for checking everything about this truck, There was NO code... It has done this since new. Just turn the key off then back on and it doesn't do it again. I work it like a dog pulling a camper several times a year with no other issues. Just thought that some of you might have a simple explanation...No Biggie . Thanks, Jim
What are you using to check for codes? I assure you Ford has programmed it to throw a code when the wrench light comes on under almost every (if not every) condition. Just because you can't see a code does not mean anything. Most code readers are not thorough. "Diesel Tech friends" are everywhere. Not all of them are 6.0L knowledgeable or even competent. Going into "limp" at the wrong time can be bad news, and your diesel mechanic friend obviously hasn't solved the problem for you yet! Something to think about.

We are trying to help you AVOID "just buying parts".

ForScan is a $6 smartphone download with a $35 adapter from BAFX (BlueTooth or WiFi depending on your device). It is the most thorough code reader you can get except for the expensive Ford IDS system. It WILL find a code when you have a wrench light.

The reason you don't see the wrench light all the time is because your condition is no longer such that it triggers it. That is common for over boost, low voltage, high oil temperatures, etc. All of which can cause other issues that will cost more money.

We see it often, but the cause is not the same all the time. The tools are available to identify the issue.

Best of luck.

·
10,195 Posts
Things that will shutdown or De-Fuel your 6.0L (PC/ED manual):​
Shutdown
Engine​
Fuel cut-off switch initiated (floorboard area panel - front passenger side)​
Idle ONLY
AND
Wrench Light​
A PCM detected fault on two of the 3 Accelerator Pedal Position (APP) 3-track potentiometer sensor signals (also called throttle position sensors) only allows the engine to operate at idle. For 05+ model years, it WILL throw a Wrench light: PC/ED manual - page 5-15.​
Wrench Light​
FICM low voltage detection monitor - DTC P0560 stored and wrench warning lamp illuminated when PCM vehicle power (VPWR) is below 10.25V for 60 seconds or below 9V for 4 seconds (DTC P0560) - Wrench light. TSB 09-24-3
(Note - Battery voltage below 9.5V will cause delayed/hard starts. Below 8V (WSM) and it will not start)​
Limp Mode
AND
Wrench Light​
Turbocharger over boost detection - Defuel at 28.6 psig boost (possibly need to be at or above 75 mph also) DTC P0234 - Wrench light for 2005 - 2007 F-series engines (and 2008 - 2010 E series) TSB 09-24-3​
Limp Mode
AND
Wrench Light​
DTC P012F stored and Wrench warning lamp illuminated when the oil coolers efficiency drops below a specified threshold for a given speed and vehicle load condition - Wrench light. TSB 09-24-3​
Limp Mode​
Defuel at 221 *F ECT (coolant temperature): PC/ED manual - page 1-34​
Limp Mode​
Defuel at 253 *F EOT (oil temperature): PC/ED manual - page 1-34​
Limp Mode​
Defuel at 4000 rpm's : PC/ED manual - page 1-13
Damage can occur at over 4200 rpm​
Limp Mode​
Defuel at 95 mph: PC/ED manual - page 1-15 (81 mph for F450 and F550)​
Limp Mode​
Defuel when the fuel level in the tank gets very low (well after the low fuel light comes on). Some model years will throw a code - see DTC P115A detail. TSB 08-20-1​

·
Premium Member
4,195 Posts
OP - I was never trying to scare anyone. I just wanted you to know what could potentially happen if you push it and try to "just limp it home" with white smoke pouring out of your tailpipe and the truck losing coolant. I just want people to be informed. After that, we're all adults here and can make our own decision.

I agree with @bismic - if your wrench light comes on, the truck stores a code! That code should stay in memory unless you clear it with a code reader or tuner. Just shutting the key off and restarting the truck won't clear codes. If you have a wrench light or a CEL, it might turn those off, but it won't clear stored codes.

Forscan is a great resource. It's cheaper than a high dollar scanner, and it's a dang good code reader.

I'm still sticking with my original post...

-jokester

·
10,195 Posts
Two things I do not understand.

1. Continuing to drive a truck for years without addressing engine lights, codes. Now even restricted power events don't get the attention they should. "No biggie"? Really? A "restricted power" event when towing on a long grade.....I'm sure it IS a biggie to the people behind you. The problem could very well be something simple, but the result of it might actually cause an unsafe situation.

2. Posting on forums asking for help, but ignoring the advice. Even if a person does not agree with the advice given, there is usually much to be gained by entering into a discussion on it - with an open mind. Eventually someone knowledgeable usually shows up! Here, multiple people posted the same thing. Might be something worth listening to in there - even for someone that does all his own work and has a diesel mechanic friend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts