Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how it happened, but I hit a car in front of me on the drive home tonight. Never saw it in front of me, never hit the brakes. Ran over the rear bumper of his car and had my front tire in his back seat (thankfully he was the only person in the car.) Not sure if he had his seatbelt on, but his head hit his either windshield or steering wheel. he then hit the car in front of him, and that car hit the car in front of it. this was on a two lane road with no traffic lights and no turn offs on a causeway over a lake. I wasn't speeding and clearly wasn't expecting stopped traffic in front of me, but I have no actual memory of anything until I'm climbing his bumper.

Thankfully there were no serious injuries that I am aware of, but two people did get bus rides to the hospital, one with lacerations to the face. The bad thing is that no air bags deployed in any of the vehicles, even though it went bumper to bumper to bumper. If the air bags had worked there would have been no injuries at all, other than maybe a sore nose from the bag going off. I hope that the guy in the car that I hit is ok, I'll find out tomorrow when I call the PD for an update.

OK, here is the scary part. My truck plowed through his trunk into his back seat, I was going 40-45 MPH max. It looks like my bumper got pushed in about 4 inches tops, my radiator is busted, oil cooler busted, inter-cooler busted, front grill and one headlight assembly, driver fender. I'm still fuzzy about everything, and I didn't take pics of the wreck, but I know that the bed was undamaged and was not moved close to the cab, all the glass on the cab is still good, all doors still line up perfect, and engine was purring like a kitten when I got back to the truck to turn it off (after checking on people and seeing how many buses were going to be needed.) His car is totaled, no trunk or back seat left, and his front is smashed in pretty good from the SUV in front of him.

It scares me to think what would have happened if I had been speeding, or caught a car in the side, or if there were kids in the back seat. Guys be careful out there, we are the ones that will be OK physically, but right now I'm torn up because I got off without a scratch, and there is at least one guy that got stitches tonight from my truck.

Keep them between the lines, and watch for that stopped traffic where it shouldn't be stopped.

B

·
Banned
1,684 Posts
That sucks man. Glad to hear everyone is ok though...

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I don't know how it happened, but I hit a car in front of me on the drive home tonight. Never saw it in front of me, never hit the brakes. Ran over the rear bumper of his car and had my front tire in his back seat (thankfully he was the only person in the car.) Not sure if he had his seatbelt on, but his head hit his either windshield or steering wheel. he then hit the car in front of him, and that car hit the car in front of it. this was on a two lane road with no traffic lights and no turn offs on a causeway over a lake. I wasn't speeding and clearly wasn't expecting stopped traffic in front of me, but I have no actual memory of anything until I'm climbing his bumper.

Thankfully there were no serious injuries that I am aware of, but two people did get bus rides to the hospital, one with lacerations to the face. The bad thing is that no air bags deployed in any of the vehicles, even though it went bumper to bumper to bumper. If the air bags had worked there would have been no injuries at all, other than maybe a sore nose from the bag going off. I hope that the guy in the car that I hit is ok, I'll find out tomorrow when I call the PD for an update.

OK, here is the scary part. My truck plowed through his trunk into his back seat, I was going 40-45 MPH max. It looks like my bumper got pushed in about 4 inches tops, my radiator is busted, oil cooler busted, inter-cooler busted, front grill and one headlight assembly, driver fender. I'm still fuzzy about everything, and I didn't take pics of the wreck, but I know that the bed was undamaged and was not moved close to the cab, all the glass on the cab is still good, all doors still line up perfect, and engine was purring like a kitten when I got back to the truck to turn it off (after checking on people and seeing how many buses were going to be needed.) His car is totaled, no trunk or back seat left, and his front is smashed in pretty good from the SUV in front of him.

It scares me to think what would have happened if I had been speeding, or caught a car in the side, or if there were kids in the back seat. Guys be careful out there, we are the ones that will be OK physically, but right now I'm torn up because I got off without a scratch, and there is at least one guy that got stitches tonight from my truck.

Keep them between the lines, and watch for that stopped traffic where it shouldn't be stopped.

B

Jeez man. Was it late at night? Were you drowsy or anything? That sucks, REAL glad nobody was in that back seat ... that would have been a mess.

As bad as you'd feel, that is one BIG reason why I am driving this truck. I'm a little dude, and I'd like to be safe y'know, plus as you can tell, it takes a BIG accident to bring a truck like ours down. I could have a bunch of fender benders and probably a few minor accidents before i can't actually drive it, and I like that security.

Glad everyone's ok man. Good luck with it, will you be considered at fault for both accidents? your rearending him and in turn him rearending the other vehicle...?

·
Registered
31 Posts
glad everybody was ok it good have been like mine and looked like this it only takes one person not paying attention for something to happen (not saying you wasn't or anything)

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was at 4:30 in the afternoon. I wasn't tired, or anything like that. I remember pulling out of the drive to the shop I working at this week, and then I remember hitting the car. It was only a half mile from where I pulled out to the accident scene. I got cited for failing to reduce speed to avoid an accident. I am not worried about that right now, I'm more worried about the guy in the car that I hit. Points on a license mean very little compared to someone getting hurt.

·
Premium Member
18,040 Posts
Boy! I am sorry to hear this! I am thankful that no one got seriously injured. Glad you werent injured too. I have had to pay more attnetion when drivin mine too cause of stopping distance compared to my other vehicles. Nowadays you never know what the other person is gonna do on the road. I will be praying for you and them!

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
First and foremost, thankfully everyone is ok. That is what is most important.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am glad to hear that everyone is ok and will send out prayers to all of yall, wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Wow that sucks. But the reality is we drive a commercial vehicle that can very easily kill people in an accident. personally, it scares me to think any idiot can go buy one of these trucks when they are now selling smart cars in Tampa. It would make me, and many others feel a lot better if you had to take a actual physical, not written, driving test and get a special license to drive anything over a F150. Scares me even more to think how many idiots can rent a 30' UHaul. But accidents still happen. glad nobody got killed. and yes the bigger the vehicle, the more attention needs to be paid.

·
Premium Member
14,491 Posts
HOLY CRAP DMANN! :doh: :doh:

Glad noone was seriously injured, that is what counts.:nod::nod:

·
Registered
10 Posts
God be with you all in this, brother. It scares the wadding out of me to think what would happen if I couldn't stop in time. :scared:
What makes it worse is SoCal drivers have a REALLY bad habit of tailgating--or worse--cutting you off if there's almost enough room for them to fit. My F150 tore-up a full-sized Buick that tried to pass me on the shoulder ON A BRIDGE! I can only imagine what the F250 would do... Pray continually. I know that Jesus is a better driver than me :woot:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Here's what happened to the 6.0. not too bad, but still a lot of damage. they had everything to the radiator stripped yesterday at 1:00, might be done before I get back in town in a couple weeks.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Helps to have a reality check to keep our heads on straight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for highlighting the reality of these vehicles.

:(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is the reality of these vehicles... the car I hit right in front of me, that got pinned between me and a Lexus SUV:

I rolled right over his bumper, and parked in his back seat. I was only going 40-45 MPH when I hit, but since I never saw him I never hit the brakes, and my foot was still on the accelerator pedal (I didn't freak out and floor it, thank God).

Good news is that where he was sitting didn't get much damage:

·
Premium Member
5,133 Posts
Glad youre alright !!! His car looks pretty bad compared to the 6.o. Hope all works out for ya.:thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts