Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I hope I get the pictures uploaded correctly:doh:
The first picture was the day I brought my new truck home, I was so excited!:woot: Then the rest are of it being totaled out from where I was at a dead stop and a guy in a 89 Dodge van never stopped. He hit me running 60mph (according to the officer). He shoved me forward 6 feet! :why-me:Sadly it took rescue two hours to cut the gentleman out of the van and then was life flighted away. He was contious when they flew him out so I am hopeful that he survived even though it was visably obvious he was pretty messed up. Luckily I was able to get out and walk away. The rest of the pictures are of them hauling it away and then me starting the long and sweat filled hours of rebuilding my truck (after I bought it back from the insurance company of course:thumb:) I had it checked and there is NO frame damage!:woot: I have a few things left I want to do to her but all in all I am thrilled with how my truck came out. The best part is I did all the work which saved thousands and thanks to the insurance company its paid for!I don't have pictures of the inside yet but I also changed out ALL the lights/leds to blue. Again, I hope these pictures work.

·
Banned
3,771 Posts
wow amazing rebuild! great job. :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hmmm something about your wheels and tires setup with those flares just doesn't look right to me...Love those stacks though!

·
Registered
95 Posts
looks great!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Good job on the rebuild. Well done!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmmm something about your wheels and tires setup with those flares just doesn't look right to me...Love those stacks though!
Thanks! What kind of wheels and tires do you think would be good? These were on the truck and the rubber was brand new so I didn't even consider changing them. If I do change them I will stay with the 16" rim. Tires for the bigger rims are WAY out of my price range.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Man I can't believe that didn't touch the frame at all. Glad it hit you on an angle like he did. Now get rid of those crappy headlights and get some of the 03's to drop in. I say 03 instead of 05's because 05's require hacking up the header. I have had all three versions on my truck and if I had to do it again I would have kept the 03's. Besides they can be had cheap when people want the 05's. But looks good. Hope the title was "salvaged" if it is I hope you plan on keeping the truck for a very long while.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Wow, good job man! I can't believe how badly it smashed up that van. It looks like it crushed the entire half of it! Do you have any pics of the other drivers side? I hope the guy is ok, but from the severity of the crash it looks like he might not be.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Thanks! What kind of wheels and tires do you think would be good? These were on the truck and the rubber was brand new so I didn't even consider changing them. If I do change them I will stay with the 16" rim. Tires for the bigger rims are WAY out of my price range.
Well those flares makes the wheel well appear to be a lot bigger. I think you should maybe do a small lift, or atleast a leveling kit and stick a bigger tire in there to fill up that wheel well. Keep those 16's though. Big rims are a waste.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do want a leveling kit. How do I measure so I know how high of a lift I would need? I would hate to have the nose higher than the rear.:doh:

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, good job man! I can't believe how badly it smashed up that van. It looks like it crushed the entire half of it! Do you have any pics of the other drivers side? I hope the guy is ok, but from the severity of the crash it looks like he might not be.
These two pics are the only other ones I have. I couldn't get close to the driver side since they were trying to get him cutt out.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have a few things left I want to do to her but all in all I am thrilled with how my truck came out. The best part is I did all the work which saved thousands and thanks to the insurance company its paid for!I don't have pictures of the inside yet but I also changed out ALL the lights/leds to blue.

Nice work!!!! The Super Duty frame must be pretty tough to take a hit like that and not get bent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice rebuild! You should be able to just do a 2" in the front and stick some 315/75 R16 tires on those rims and it will look sweet and not cost an arm and a leg. I would wait till your tires are bald tho no need to waste them or maybe sell em! Good luck

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Built ford tough.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
My question is, did he damage the cab and hood too? or did u just have extra. and you bought those parts?

·
Registered
47 Posts
how bout the van.... think it can be fixed?:poke

nice job on the rebuild, wish i could do body work... my 03 has some rust poppin thru. :confused:

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
how bout the van.... think it can be fixed?:poke
nice job on the rebuild, wish i could do body work... my 03 has some rust poppin thru. :confused:
Nothing a little bondo and a BIG hammer can't fix:thumb::hehe:

This is my 3rd vehicle ever doing:nod: I just look at a lot of how to's for tips and ask a lot of questions.Its cheaper for me to do it a couple times and get it right than it it is to pay a body shop once.

bloody top job mate, well done
Thanks!:woot:

My question is, did he damage the cab and hood too? or did u just have extra. and you bought those parts?
The cab was dented on the rear passenger side. I got most of it pulled back out then smoothed it out the rest of the way with body filler. The hood was a want, along with the fender flares:woot:

Built ford tough.
Dang Straight!:thumb::icon_ford:

Nice rebuild! You should be able to just do a 2" in the front and stick some 315/75 R16 tires on those rims and it will look sweet and not cost an arm and a leg. I would wait till your tires are bald tho no need to waste them or maybe sell em! Good luck
I actually have the leveling kit and a complete new front suspension kit sitting in my garage waiting for me to find time to put it on. Then go have it aligned. When these tires wear out I am wanting 35's and a different set of rims. But like you said, can't see buying new till these are toast:thumb:

Nice work!!!! The Super Duty frame must be pretty tough to take a hit like that and not get bent.
They are very tough BUT what also helped me was all the extra support my truck has. Rear tow hitch, then the H looking brace where spare tire is, then HUGE steel plates for goose neck hook up, then another factory brace above full tank etc... Frame had no where to go. :nod:

It was so weird that day. It all seemed to happen so slow and yet so fast. I had no where to go and just leaned back in the seat and hoped for the best. It felt like a bump to me untill I got out and realised I was about 6' farther forward then before and I was all of a sudden hauling a full size van in the back of the truck. I will be honest, when I got out of the truck I was PISSED and ready to fight untill I looked in on him. My sences came back to me and I tried helping him till help got there. Not the best day in my life.:(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts