Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at getting my first truck i already know i want a ford super duty 4x4 CC SB. .i wanted a 14 inch lift with 40 inch tires but that seems kinda crazy so i think i decided on a 9 inch with 38 inch tires. i was thinking about a 99-03 7.3L but i want more of a performance truck that i can take mudding and for a 2003 7.3L 4x4 CC SB people want $13k-$15k for one and id rather get a 05 $14k (thats as low as ive seen them on CL) and yes i know it will take alot of work to get a truck how i want it but i plan on being a diesel technician so im kinda looking at this for more experience. i actually already have a list of everything i want for my truck.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the link to the other thread i went throught and read it all learned some new things i didnt know before

yea you cant go wrong with a diesel

·
Registered
104 Posts
Its my first truck AND first diesel and I have absolutely no regrets. Best vehicle I have ever owned hands down. Had a BMW 7 series, mustangs, camaro, jaguar, and this beats everything by far. People can afford it, but ask yourself if you can afford to maintain it. Simply put if you take care of it, it will take care of you. :cool:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
My 6.0 was not only my first truck or first diesel but was my first car ever! I have been through 2 6.0s only because the first one was totaled. I have learned a lifetimes worth oh knowledge on here and don't regret anything with the 6.0. Its an engine that you grow to love. It seems the more problems it has the more I start to really understand it and love it. Kind of like a women :nod:

Good luck with your purchase, here are a few good threads to read about the 6.0 to get you started. If you have any questions ask away...

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/259257-write-up-monitoring-6-0l-psd.html

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/ge...204386-write-up-bullet-proofing-6-0l-psd.html

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...256689-write-up-power-potential-6-0l-psd.html

oh and.....

:welcome2::ORG welcome::welcome2:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my 6.0L is gunna be my first car ever too. i think i might put " It seems the more problems it has the more I start to really understand it and love it. Kind of like a women" in my sig i couldnt stop laughing at that. does you know anyone on here with a 12+ inch lift on there truck? i really want a lift that big but everyone tells me thats too big that why im considering the 9" inch. i just want to talk to someone about it and ask some questions

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I am in the market for a 6.0 not only for my first truck but my first car! One piece of advice is learn learn learn. This forum is full of useful stuff. Good luck on your search!

P.S. I can totally understand why you want one of these trucks they are beasts!

·
Premium Member
5,700 Posts
skip the idea of being a diesel tech, go to school and get a real job

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
whats wrong with being a diesel tech? but ive kinda been thinking about a different job because what ive seen diesel techs the average salary is only like $48,000 a year.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
This is my first diesel. I got this truck because i had a 5.4L Triton F250 2002. I towed my track car from OC MD to Sykesville... pulled in to my buddies driveway almost on E and started w/ a full tank.

I went from MD to CT towing my car w/ AC on and it barely reached over 3/4 of a tank. Didnt even feel like the car was on the trailer. So far, Im impresed

-Ellery

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I would say yes get one. But with that said have a beater for a back up. Or atleast something. I've put over a 100k miles on my truck since I bought it used. I take car of it and have still had to use the back up more then a few times.

·
Registered
28 Posts
my 6.0L is gunna be my first car ever too. i think i might put " It seems the more problems it has the more I start to really understand it and love it. Kind of like a women" in my sig i couldnt stop laughing at that. does you know anyone on here with a 12+ inch lift on there truck? i really want a lift that big but everyone tells me thats too big that why im considering the 9" inch. i just want to talk to someone about it and ask some questions
Kid I'm 19 and I just bought my first diesel. It's a 2004 Excursion with a 6.0. Although they get better mileage and the trucks you are looking at are only in the teens as far as prices go a diesel should not be your first car. What kids like you should be driving as far as trucks go are Rangers, Tacomas, Dakotas, maybe F-150's and Ram 1500's. Diesel costs more than gas and you may be thinking that a diesel engine gets better so what does it matter? It will still cost more to keep full than a gas motor. If you go to an old post of mine under 6.7 discussions and find "Weighing the decisions F-350 or F-450" I sounded a lot like you, like a little kid in a candy store. However I got my car for the occupation I am pursuing. And slapping a gigantic lift on it, 9 inches is still pretty ridiculous. People on this site you need to talk are TrickTruck, FordFascist, and jeffc, and skooter. I'm sure they will tell similar things they told me, TrickTruck and FordFacist may insult you a bit but the four previously mentioned really wised me up and I thank them for that. Kid take this from someone who is still pretty close to your age group.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
^^ u made me chuckle...

Diesels are more expensive to fill and more expensive to Fix. My vote is if u can afford the fuel, insurance and maintenance costs, and have a few grand incase something fails.. then ur good to go.

obviously say an F150 or a Dodge 1500 would be great for a teenager on a limited income, unless ur parents are helping you out.

My vote goes to what you want, if u can afford it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
And another thing thing too. I am going to MMI to become a motorcycle technician and guess what I don't have? A Motorcycle. You need to follow this rule "Kids should be driving Camrys not Corvettes". You need to realize your first car will not be your dream car, oh well that's life. And I can understand wanting experience from it. But keep in mind if you don't really know what you are doing you are really gonna mess up your truck, and that's the last thing you want to do because when you move out your are going to need your car more than ever. So if i were you I would look into to something dependable as well efficient. My overall recommendation is get a 6 cylinder Tacoma. Toyota will be most dependable out of Ford, Dodge, Chevy combined and this coming from a guy who came from a Ford family.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
^^this guy really cares about the OPs well being. That said, don't buy a Tacoma haha my 5.4L F250 never let me down. I'm Just joking around btw....

·
Registered
758 Posts
I can honestly say to you speaking from first hand experience that a super duty is not a good first truck. They are the best trucks but for a first truck its truly a bad idea. First the with the 6.0 its not if it goes its when. To give you an idea of my 6.0 ownership costs ill break it down.
Motor $15k and change
3 gasket jobs, $1200 a pop
Truck price itself $16k
Tires for 35s on 17s is a $1200+ day to the shop.
Oil changes are generally close to $100 if not more
Fuel filters are about $60 gotta do that every other oil change.
Brake rotors if you ever need them will run a couple hundred bucks
Are you seeing a pattern here? Everything is twice as expensive as it should be.
If you went 7.3 it may be better but remember the newest 7.3s are coming up on 10 years old. Trucks get old and crap needs to be replaced, it can be just as expensive as a 6.0 if your not careful.
If i was you id buy an f150 and trick it out. You can get a nice half ton and make it the baddest s.o.b on the planet or what a 6.0 and a bullet proofing job will cost. Now lets talk about fuel, my fuel bill is averaging $700 a month. Sometimes more sometimes less. Thats a big chunk of change. Im a diesel mechanic and used to think the way did. You want to be a diesel mechanic and do it right i recommend spending as little as possible on a truck so you can pay for a good school. Youll need that if you want to make a good living in the trade. I waited til i was 21 to buy my truck. If i could go back and do it again i wouldnt buy it til i could pay cash for it. I do not recommend under any circumstances buying one of these for a first truck. Sorry dude. Not trying to be a dick but i dont want to see a young guy get bum raped because he bought a truck that was way to much for him to deal with. And trust me dude it will eventually happen.

What would I be doing right now if I didn't have an iPhone?

·
Registered
758 Posts
whats wrong with being a diesel tech? but ive kinda been thinking about a different job because what ive seen diesel techs the average salary is only like $48,000 a year.
There is nothing wrong with being a diesel tech! And whoever said $48,000 a year aint a good tech! If i made that much a year i would freaking starve! im generally not comfortable speaking about what i make but i will say its almost double that. In ten years if im still at it will probably be more than double.

What would I be doing right now if I didn't have an iPhone?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts