Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this truck a few weeks ago and still trying to find out what all it has/don't have and what I need. Truck is in my sig, early 2004 6.0, Says 2003 on the valve cover.

The guy I got it from gave me this list:
egr delete
ARP head studs and new gaskets
new injectors
high pressure pump
injector control module

but I have my doubts on any of this when a ford tech pointed out the stock head bolts instead of studs. He said that if it had studs, you'd see some of the threads sticking up in the middle of the nut.

Theres no problems with the truck other than an rough idle sometimes when getting off the interstate, but a few quick revs and it will go back to idling normal.

Can you guys look at these pics and tell me anything about the motor? Its super clean for 183k miles and the ford tech also noted the new radiator, FICM, and green coolant.

Pic of truck :woot:

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
Nice truck. You need to ditch the green coolant and those appear to be head bolts and not studs. As far as figuring out your idling problem, you need to get a diagnostic scanner to be sure, but it sounds like an ICP problem.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
To which pipe are you referring? I see the EGR cooler in place there, so I'm assuming that the delete is a sneaky delete where the exhaust passages are welded off inside the cooler.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To which pipe are you referring? I see the EGR cooler in place there, so I'm assuming that the delete is a sneaky delete where the exhaust passages are welded off inside the cooler.
The little piece with the two allen bolts holding a small cap onto something.

Also, I thought switching to green coolant was better than the Ford Gold stuff?

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
There are 2 links in my signature line that should interest you. One being the "basic info" link which will give you info that you really need to know as a 6.0 owner.
The second is the flushing link. Within that document, you can just disregard the "reverse flushing" part of it, since that part was written for a completely different set of circumstances.

Nice looking rig

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
That's the oil cooler cover. And the green coolant doesn't provide adequate protection against cavitation. The gold is MUCH better than the green, but it can still break down based on heat and over time, which will clog the stock oil cooler. The recommendation of most on the forums is to use a Cat EC-1 rated Extended Life Coolant, which is red in color.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
The first pic is a full delete, the yellow "x" is the delete tubing. The second pic is just another way to stop exhaust from entering the EGR cooler, it caps off the cooler and then you use a EGR delete up pipe. If the prior owner welded the EGR cooler shut, you really won't know until you pull it off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is there anyway to tell without pulling the cooler out? Could you pull out the EGR valve and crank the engine to see if anything shoots out? haha

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
LOL, yeah, stuff would shoot out. Not necessarily from the egr cooler...
There really isn't a way to tell unless you pull the egr valve and take a peek at it...then drive it for a month or so, then pull it again to compare. It should have gotten a little dirtier.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
And your program sticker looks like it was re-flashed during a recall back then. I think it had something to do with the Exhaust Back Pressure, and maybe some other things.

See if you can get an Oasis report from your local Ford dealer. It will give a complete history of any warranty work done. It should show that re-program (REPROGRAMMED MODULES PER RECALL 05E15) something to that effect.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts