Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This would be helpful for multiple cases such as buying used with a replaced oem cooler but refilled with gold (situation I am in).
I just want whats best for my truck and want to get the most out of the good cooler thats in now
That's exactly where I am, as well.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
I believe I have read somewhere that the silicate gel will stick to all the passageways therefore requiring chemical flush to remove because if you just drain and fill then regardless if its elc or gold, the gel is still in there to clog and cavitate

Can someone verify or correct me if I am wrong?
CAT EC1 ELC if not all ELC coolant do not contain silicate unless you add them. But basically your on the correction path. If you don't get the crap out there is no point in switching to an elc.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
445 Posts
CAT EC1 ELC if not all ELC coolant do not contain silicate unless you add them.

Yes I am aware of this, I was referring to the silicate from the gold that I thought remains in the block unless chemically flushed.

Only EC1 is no-silicate, other elcs are low-silicate I believe.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Like the Cat ELC myself except when my coolant system was leaking and I thought it was trans fluid....lol
Ya that would suck lol

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2,740 Posts
I believe I have read somewhere that the silicate gel will stick to all the passageways therefore requiring chemical flush to remove because if you just drain and fill then regardless if its elc or gold, the gel is still in there to clog and cavitate

Can someone verify or correct me if I am wrong?
Cavitation is not a problem, the silicates are there to perevent that. This whole silicates falling out of suspension thing hasn't ever really been proven to be the sole cause of oil cooler issues. There are lots of people who run Gold coolant with filters that are not having a problem. Also, there are plenty of International Trucks running EC-1 their entire lives that still have oil cooler failures.

I have no horse in this race (BPD oil cooler FTW :woot: ). My point is that just because you switch to EC-1 doesn't mean you will be free from potential oil cooler problems. Either way you still have to watch your deltas and install a coolant filter.

·
Registered
244 Posts
If you dont want to do a chemical flush you could flush a bunch of times with distilled water and then add elc.
somewhere I picked up the idea that this is a very bad idea. Different chemistries, need to chemically remove the old kind before introducing the new kind. But I can't give you a good reason, just read it somewhere.

If I didn't have the ability to do the chemical flushes, I would not switch to ELC but use Gold for 10,000 and go through that decision process again. You're gonna have to do it sooner or later.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
Cavitation is not a problem, the silicates are there to perevent that. This whole silicates falling out of suspension thing hasn't ever really been proven to be the sole cause of oil cooler issues. There are lots of people who run Gold coolant with filters that are not having a problem. Also, there are plenty of International Trucks running EC-1 their entire lives that still have oil cooler failures.

I have no horse in this race (BPD oil cooler FTW :woot: ). My point is that just because you switch to EC-1 doesn't mean you will be free from potential oil cooler problems. Either way you still have to watch your deltas and install a coolant filter.
Exactly. You can beat a good coolant filter though. I recommend one from everybody no mater wether you have the bpd oil cooler or not.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Exactly. You can beat a good coolant filter though. I recommend one from everybody no mater wether you have the bpd oil cooler or not.

Yup i agree. Everyone should run a coolant filter.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
somewhere I picked up the idea that this is a very bad idea. Different chemistries, need to chemically remove the old kind before introducing the new kind. But I can't give you a good reason, just read it somewhere.

If I didn't have the ability to do the chemical flushes, I would not switch to ELC but use Gold for 10,000 and go through that decision process again. You're gonna have to do it sooner or later.
Several people on the 6.4 forum have flushed with water and added ELC and have not had problems. I dont know if that is true for sure or not tho.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
Several people on the 6.4 forum have flushed with water and added ELC and have not had problems. I dont know if that is true for sure or not tho.
So why did you bring it up then....lol I'm sure several people on here have done it too and been alright but it's sill NOT the correct way to do it.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I think I may have solved my problem. I completely forgot about final charge being sold at oreillys. When I bought my truck the PO said the coolant came from oreillys but wasnt sure what brand and said "elc" He said fleet something which had me convinced it was fleetcharge and I didnt want that in there. Then I called the tech that did the work and he said pretty much the same thing. All i knew was it came from oreillys. Well after looking up the specs for final charge, it is a red like other elc's and fleetcharge is pink. So I popped the radiator drain and took a sample and it is red and I am pretty sure it might be final charge. Not getting my hopes up yet but we shall see! :please:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts