Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Ford F350 6.0L
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whats up guys, so recently sold my 6.0 and got a 6.7, but.. I need more pain...

So as we all know, truck prices have gone absolutely insane lately, I found a potential (extremely) good deal for a truck I walked away from it today, he only wanted $2,500 for it.. 290,000km) that needs a little work, but I'm just not sure if its EGR or a head gasket, or potentially worse.. (Im looking for a longbox truck to perminantly house my truck camper.

The guy seemed nice enough, has done quite a bit of recent front end work on it, and the tires are in like new shape, very little rust, owned it for 15 years. He says that it runs rough (the whole damn truck shakes) until 60km/h and then drives fine.

Video Links here:

We got it started after jumping both batteries from my F350, and it sounded rough as all hell.

He seems to believe its the EGR, bought replacement parts, but its not installed. He said his local mechanic looked it over and said the head gasket is fine.
The Degas bottle was empty, also pushing out a little bit of white smoke.
The Oil level seemed dark, and full, like right full.

I brought the truck up to temp and there was no pressure at all on the oil cap, could just sit there upside down and not be pushed off.

I got these two error codes, and were not able to clear them..Nothing else

Also the Temp gauge didnt work on the dash...

Communication Device Telephony Gadget Audio equipment Material property

I took some video of it. What do you guys think...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2005 F250 FX4 Lariat CCSB - ARP studs, EGR deleted, IPR coolant filter
349 Posts
It could be a bag of snakes.

But for $2500, you can spend quite a bit of time and money on it before the total is more than the truck is worth.

Want to know how the head gaskets are?

I discovered my failed head gaskets with a running pressure test.

I put a tee into one of the hoses leading to the degas bottle, and added enough tubing to reach the dashboard (between the hood and fender and the through the window). At the end of this, I put a 0-30 PSI pressure gauge.

I drove the truck to warm it to operating temp - ECT 194 degrees, then pulled over and vented pressure from the cooling system by slowly loosening the cap on the degas bottle.

Next, I made the engine work for a few minutes, driving 3 miles with a 1800 ft climb.

Now making the engine work like that will raise the coolant temp in even a healthy engine, but not by much. That would increase system pressure, but not by much.

In my case, near the top of the climb, the pressure rose to 16-17 PSI and the cap vented a few times. I could see this by the sharp drop of a few PSI. This was an indication that combustion gases we're entering the cooling system, most likely via a failed head gasket.

So I put the truck in the shop. With the heads off, evidence of a head gasket leak was clear.

Six grand later, my truck has new head gaskets, ARP studs, a new oil cooler (old one had clearly failed as indicated by ECT EOT delta) and new glow plugs and harness. It had already been EGR deleted.

If the short block is in good shape and the tranny is OK, you could buy this truck for $2500, spend $7500 (perhaps quite a bit less) getting things squared away, and have $10K in the truck.

I suspect you could then sell it for that much or more.

·
Administrator
23,812 Posts
Is this real life?
$2500 and you walked on it?

The answer you seek is simple, is 2500 all you have? Or can you afford to spend 5-10?

·
Premium Member
788 Posts
We have to assume the seller has valued his truck at what he considers a fair market asking price and this suggests he either knows about or anticipates somewhat significant problems with the truck. Whatever the case, it surely won't last long in this remarkable used truck market. Are you capable and do you plan on doing the repairs yourself? Aside from the possible mechanical problems, what does the rest of the truck look like (in other words, is it possible its general condition could contribute to a portion of the low price)?

Thinking through the possible purchase scenario, if the truck does have significant problems and you decide to invest the money and go forward, it's always nice to have a good "platform" since both general aesthetics and mileage are part of a vehicle's value. I'm not saying the 250k miles is a large negative but mileage is obviously an important factor in the overall value. Diesel engines as a rule outlast gassers but they're not a forever engine.

I'm guessing the truck will sell quickly at that price and most likely to a knowledgeable and confidant buyer. Since you're asking your questions in a chat forum, it's possible this may not be the right truck for you even at that price. With some autos, the purchase cost is the cheapest part of ownership. Good luck whichever way you go. This would be interesting to follow.

Reactions: MtnTallPaul
1 - 7 of 7 Posts