Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks. I recently took ownership of a 2003 F250 6.0 that needs some work. I'm looking to get some opinions on whether I should keep it and sink money into it, or sell it and look for something else/better. What would you do, considering its condition? These trucks are hard as hell to find in my area, and when I do they're usually beat to crap. This is the best one I've seen.

Intended use is to pull a 27' RV trailer, dry weight ~6000 lbs. Mountain trips would be somewhat frequent. No plowing. I do not plan to tune this truck, any mods I do would be for reliability only.

What's good about it:
150k miles, ICP done at 80k, oil cooler and #7 injector replaced at 100k, brand new oil pan. No proof, but I *think* the turbo was replaced at some point. FICM was reflashed early in its life. Lots of dealer service (at least 4 records of it). Starts in less than 3 seconds most of the time.

Body rust is minimal, with nothing visible on the outside, and no dents. Interior in great shape. It's never been in an accident. I am the third owner. It looks like it has never been used to plow, since there's no wear on the frame where you would find a plow mount. Everything is completely stock. Does not look like it was ever a work truck.

What's bad about it:
Needs another ICP. Sometimes runs rough when engine is cold, but smooths out quickly. Could use the blue spring upgrade. No EGT or fuel pressure gauges. Needs rear brake lines in the rear, and I think slip yoke re-grease. These don't seem like major issues.

Needs sway bars in the front, would like to add them to the rear, and will probably need tie rod work at some point in the future as well.

RUST. Lived in the rust belt for most of its life, so it's got scaling and flaking on the frame, but things sound solid when you give it a good whack. I can peel flakes off in some places. No holes anywhere, bolts don't seem fused (yet). I'm mostly concerned about this rust.

Attachments

·
It is What IT is
1,761 Posts
It appears that the issues you're bringing up are minor and that you've made up your mind.
I'd say fix it and keep it. Cheaper than buying a new one that's for sure!

·
Registered
268 Posts
all Im gonna say is my truck is a 2006 6.0 thats been completely dealer serviced its entire life, it has 78k on it, and runs like a top, however, its got a rusty, flaky frame, and the bed supports are rusty.

I love the truck, its a 6-speed and I obviously wont get one of those again in a new crew cab so I'll keep it as long as I can, BUT the minute it needs a major repair is the time it gets traded on a 6.7... No point in sinking money into a cancer patient

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Something like a scangauge? I have an OBD monitor. What am I looking for besides fuel and boost pressure?
Go with an Edge CTS if you can. You want to monitor ECT, EOT, IPR, and ICP for sure. There are a host of others based on what's important to you and what you understand those sensors and the parts are doing. I monitor 14 for now :look:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Go with an Edge CTS if you can. You want to monitor ECT, EOT, IPR, and ICP for sure. There are a host of others based on what's important to you and what you understand those sensors and the parts are doing. I monitor 14 for now :look:
This stuff hes mentioning could weigh heavily on whether you want to keep the truck or not. You'll want to know your FICM voltage, your ECT and EOT, and the delta between the two. IPR also a good one.

If it needs another oil cooler and or HPOP maybe you wouldnt want to keep it? Those #'s readings can tell you the relative health of the entire system. Like i was saying about major repairs, as soon as my truck needs any of those, or HG's, she gone.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I replied earlier dont know where it went, but anyhow here are some links to possible products to use if you want to clean it up:

Rust Remover - How To Remove Rust From Metal - Removing Rust - Corrosion Removal - Eastwood

spray rust remover - Search.com

you didnt say how much you paid or if you had kids who could join in on a project. If ya do go to clean up the frame and stuff I would think pulling the bed would be the 1st thing and it will let ya see whats really under there.

As to the scan gauge , it will monitor all that has been mentioned but you would need gauges for fuel press and egt. A sg runs about $150 is easy to install and setup and can be used in multiple vehicles if you decide to move on to something different. Cheap for a diagnostic tool/gauge IMO.I got one for our rv and there is not much to monitor on a gasser so it gets used for MPG stuff like that.

But overall its your call, how much do you need the truck for and really what can ya afford to spend? About $5K will take care of most issues that are common, turbo and injectors , HPOP that another story but if it has a decent history a little preventative maintenace will take ya a long way. Also the typeof coolant is important, the ford stuff is supposed to be what caused a lot of the issues. It needs to be monitored quite often. I and many have changed to Cat ELC and seems to have made a difference, but mine went in at same time as the oil and egr coolers. Plus the guy that did the work brought it up to speed with all the latest ford TSBs that were out at the time. Still running the flash it came with however told him to leave the computer alone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.