Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nope not the 6.0 under the hood! Mine and the the ones of three other friends have been the picture of reliability... But every one of us have chewed threw the front rotors! What gives!
I'm seriously frustrated with the brakes on my truck! This is the third set of rotors in just over 100k. I've had two sets of Ford rotors and the latest was a set of Power Slots. The Power Slots lasted 8 months and less than 10k!
So what do I have to do to fix the rotor issue on this truck?
I don't drive crazy, mash the brakes, ride my brakes, or do anything that would over heat them.... When I tow I give a little more bias to the trailer so it helps slow me not the truck fighting to slow it. And when I hit big down hill grades I down shift and let the 6.0 slow me so I'm not riding them...
Please if anyone has this figured out I would love to hear it.... Anyone tried SSBC stuff? I'm that tired of it I'm ready to replace the whole system! :dunno:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes and that setup last much much longer than the Power Slots w/EBC's... Though the EBC's really do bight a bit better than the stock pads with less dust but they just didn't last at all!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Stop driving with 2 feet...LOL! Just kidding man, check out some brembos. I'm not sure if they have a kit for Ford trucks but I've had a set on a couple other cars I've had and I was very pleased with the wear.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
dude, spend some money and get some cryo power slots and some Hawk Pads. you can't go wrong

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The funny thing about brembo is I bought new rear rotors online (never put them on) that were suppose to be fomoco stuff and they did have Ford on the box but also they were made by Brembo?
I would buy the cryo Power Slots but I'm pretty gun shy now about Power Slot stuff!

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
The funny thing about brembo is I bought new rear rotors online (never put them on) that were suppose to be fomoco stuff and they did have Ford on the box but also they were made by Brembo?
I would buy the cryo Power Slots but I'm pretty gun shy now about Power Slot stuff!
any particular reason?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the OEM rotors made it 60k and 35k where the non cryo Power Slots made it less than 10K!

·
Registered
133 Posts
My 2 cents
I was once an ASE certified tech, many years ago...
When you replaced the pads, did you replace or rebuild the calipers?
If you just push the pistons back into the calipers, you are forcing them back over any rust or contamination that has built up inside them. Also the seal tension of the caliper piston seals helps pull the piston back slightly when you let off of the brakes. When the seals are old and worn, this doesn't happen and the pads wear faster. The calipers should be serviced every time the pads are replaced, as well as turning the rotors and flushing the fluid.
All that being said, I did my brakes and machined my rotors about 10k miles ago and it feels like I have a warped rotor already. But I drive very hard and have 35" tires.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Yes, the OEM rotors made it 60k and 35k where the non cryo Power Slots made it less than 10K!
Oh wow I see. Thats crazy short period of time

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Im still on the factory rotors, and I've got 119k on them. I did replace the pads at about 80k though.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My 2 cents
I was once an ASE certified tech, many years ago...
When you replaced the pads, did you replace or rebuild the calipers?
If you just push the pistons back into the calipers, you are forcing them back over any rust or contamination that has built up inside them. Also the seal tension of the caliper piston seals helps pull the piston back slightly when you let off of the brakes. When the seals are old and worn, this doesn't happen and the pads wear faster. The calipers should be serviced every time the pads are replaced, as well as turning the rotors and flushing the fluid.
All that being said, I did my brakes and machined my rotors about 10k miles ago and it feels like I have a warped rotor already. But I drive very hard and have 35" tires.
You know I never thought of that:dunno: Maybe there something to that and I do have to have the calipers rebuilt:dunno: But I have to say if I put that kind of cash out just to have it go south again!!!!!!! But maybe I just take it into the stealer and have them do a complete rebuild?? Also those 255/85's are 35" tall and HEAVY!

Oh wow I see. Thats crazy short period of time
It is! I'm very disappointed that they only lasted 8 mos and 9k!

·
Premium Member
583 Posts
i was aving this problem on my excursion and threw 2 sets of front pads on until i realized the pins that hold the caliper on were siezed solid. took alot of penetrating fluid and a little heat but i got them unstuck. never replaces a set of anything after that and i sold it like that and it passed a safety so they must have still been good. that was over the course of about 60,000 kms. and towing my camper and bigger tires. looking back, it would have been less hassle to just buy the parts i needed but you get the idea :thumb:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have experienced a similar problem with a 3/4 ton suburban, it went through the front breaks like nobndys business. You might have the rear brakes checked as they may not be functioning properly causing your front brakes to be doing all the work. There is also a check valve that sets your back brake pressure higher to the rear than in the front which will help the rear brakes grab more as well. Let us know if it turns out as something different...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well seems that it might be the calipers then just by discussion here? So I think I'll take them in and have them givin a going through and just buy new slide pins while we are at it.... Probably go back to the Ford rotors too?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts