Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading this http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/general-6-0l-discussion/268198-6-4-banjo-bolts.html thread over in the 6.0 sub forum about the 6.4 Banjo bolts. The general concensus was that it wasn't really needed but someone said that it wasn't the worst mod they had performed on their truck. This got me to thinking, as a noob I read here every day about the things that I could do to improve a truck when I buy one but are these really going to help it in the long run? Either from giving more power to a nicer ride. So what mods did you do to your truck in the past that you are ashamed of now or at least didn't really give you any improvements?

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
To be honest..... There aren't any mods that I have done to my truck that I regret.:approve:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Zoo dad mod on my 05 6.0 absolutley no difference excpet I had to clean my air filter once a month and it was constantly wet because rain gets inside. Definitley didn't do that one on my current truck.

The banjo bolts should go along with a complete fuel system. More of a pita putting them in for a gain by themselves.

I didn't notice any difference with a 58v ficm. But I needed a new one so i opted for the upgraded one.

·
Registered
344 Posts
For me was Hornets CCV reroute. It did catch oil, but it also caused excessive crankcase pressures because of the long hoses installed to the catch can that mounts way under the truck beneath the drivers door. These excessive pressures in turn caused a turbo seal to crap out on me, and then caused oil to blow by the rings, causing a nice blue smoke cloud almost every time I'd leave a stop light. Removed the kit and returned it to stock, and the smoke has been slowly going away and is almost gone now.

So I I have decided the if I have to replace oil soaked CAC boots once every 5 years, whoopteedoo, beats having seals blown out and blue smoke!

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
Oh you mean this wondorous piece of "engineering"? At least the one I made myself I'm willing to show it to everyone and anyone that's interested in building their own and not trying to keep it hidden like a military secret.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Removed the factory am/fm antenna to install awesome looking dual CB antennas. Now i get really crappy FM and no AM at all.

Truck looks good though so it was worth it

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Zoo dad mod on my 05 6.0 absolutley no difference excpet I had to clean my air filter once a month and it was constantly wet because rain gets inside. Definitley didn't do that one on my current truck.

The banjo bolts should go along with a complete fuel system. More of a pita putting them in for a gain by themselves.

I didn't notice any difference with a 58v ficm. But I needed a new one so i opted for the upgraded one.
Really??? I did the Zoodad on my old truck with a stock intake and on my new truck with a CAI. The second time around I monitored temps heres what I found...

Cruising at 50mph with ambient air temp of 90 degrees I was seeing intake air temps of 135 degrees. With same speed and ambient air temps I was seeing 93 degrees. Thats once hell of a difference if you ask me

Lets do some math:

With air temp of 135, elevation of 100ft and humidity of 80% air density is 0.0626 lbm/ft3

With air temp of 90, elevation of 100ft, and humidity of 80% air density is 0.0705 lbm/ft3

Thats a 12.6% increase in the volume of air my engine is taking in
Not bad at all...

I say go for the zoodad. I did a pretty sloppy job and have no screen or anything over it and have never had any problems with water. I'm sure some has hit the filter when its raining bad but, its not going to make its way into the turbo.
:twocents:

·
Registered
216 Posts
Removed the factory am/fm antenna to install awesome looking dual CB antennas. Now i get really crappy FM and no AM at all.
Hahaha that's f'ing awesome! lol

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Well I haven't really regretted doing any mod to my truck but I did buy one of those Hornet CCV reroute kits (never did put it on) wasn't impressed when I took it out of the box and boy was I livid when I found out what was in it. Heck it gets me worked up every time I think about it, I better not ever meat the man in person, more than words would be exchanged!!

And now that I look back on it, don't buy a dvd/nav unit without either a detachable faceplate or one heck of a security system. (Trust me, it sucks to come out to a truck missing a window and a $1200 nav unit, especially when your deductible is $1000) Or better yet just don't stop in Mobile AL.......... Dont say I didn't warn you!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Really??? I did the Zoodad on my old truck with a stock intake and on my new truck with a CAI. The second time around I monitored temps heres what I found...

Cruising at 50mph with ambient air temp of 90 degrees I was seeing intake air temps of 135 degrees. With same speed and ambient air temps I was seeing 93 degrees. Thats once hell of a difference if you ask me

Lets do some math:

With air temp of 135, elevation of 100ft and humidity of 80% air density is 0.0626 lbm/ft3

With air temp of 90, elevation of 100ft, and humidity of 80% air density is 0.0705 lbm/ft3

Thats a 12.6% increase in the volume of air my engine is taking in
Not bad at all...

I say go for the zoodad. I did a pretty sloppy job and have no screen or anything over it and have never had any problems with water. I'm sure some has hit the filter when its raining bad but, its not going to make its way into the turbo.
:twocents:
I won't argue with the numbers but it just wasn't for me. That air box sucks to take out! I had a high flow drop in filter from true flow installed. Its red but was completley black caked with grime after a month. It eventually tore apart because it had to be cleaned so often.

·
Premium Member
22,934 Posts
Definitely some good stories here. Great thread!!!

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
I tried the TrueFlow filter long time ago and it actually gave me worse fuel mileage. Tossed it in the trash where it belongs.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
At the time I liked the idea of a washable high flow foam filter thats why I got it. I've since upgraded to a big boy intake lol

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its great to see these responses, well, to me its great. Maybe not so great for you guys that have spent the money or effort to do them. Keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
I have two.

1.) homemade EGR delete. I should have just bought one. :doh:

2.) Scangauge II. I should have spent the extra money and gone with a CTS.

·
Don't mind me
27,557 Posts
Anything named Recon that I put on my truck.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts