Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay ,so back story is this. A relative owned it previously and accidentally ran gasoline through it. It sat a year... I bought it and drained everything. Replaced fuel filter, injectors, cps ...got it to start and run....but now when I go to test it on the hwy it won't shift out of 1st gear....its an automatic. Any tricks or possibilities before assuming that my transmission is trashed...

·
Registered
8,969 Posts
It would be super helpful to have more info. There were some electrical changes in the 99-03 7.3l, front end differences, and engine differences (minor but help in diagnosing) How many miles, any mods? How did the trans fluid look/smell, able to shift manually from 1 to 2 and 2 to higher etc?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
what year is it ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2002 250 7.3 with 250k all stock all original everything. The gear selector works great and no "play" in it... trans fluid looks fine from stick ...haven't pulled pan just yet. I'm leaning towards valve body but waiting to get another day off to tinker again.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Does the Overdrive Off light in the shifter come on with key=on, then go out? If = YES, the light is functioning...
Does the Overdrive Off light flash while driving? If = YES, there are transmission codes.

My thought process: If it has been sitting there may be rodent or other physical damage to wiring and electrical components. Generally, electrical issues with bad solenoids and wiring will set trouble codes. Trouble codes associated with the transmission controls are announced with the Overdrive Off light. The first line was to determin that the Overdrive Off light is working. If there are no codes, it is probably not an electrical or wiring problem.

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
transmission range switch failure, or wiring damage
an error in the range switch will default to first gear

as Dave mentioned, there should be codes indicated by the OD light flashing

ForScan would be handy to check for those codes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts