Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 1996/f250/7.3/5 speed/ with 129,000 miles on it for 4900. It needs a little TLC and one of the first things I went ahead and got started on was rebuilding the steering column. I noticed before I tore the column out that the headlights came on whenever the truck was running. You couldn't shut them off while the truck was running, but if you pulled the nob to turn them on the rest of the lights would come on (tailights, running lights, etc). So I went ahead with the repair and got the column rebuilt and back in the truck, but now no matter what the headlights are always on, whether the truck is running or not (the key doesn't even have to be in the ignition). I thought that maybe the blinker/hi-low switch was shorting, but sure enough I swapped it with one from another column and its still doing the same thing. To make things a little more intersting the truck is wired for subs/aftermarket keyless entry/toggles to control glow plugs/etc. With all that wiring in there I'm not sure where to start or what to look for.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
check the headlight switch on the dash

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was the truck originally sold in Canada? Maybe it was set up with daytime running lights.
Very possible, I picked it up about 8 hrs drive from the border. How can I check for sure?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
check the headlight switch on the dash
I pulled the switch out and the wiring harness plug looks like its partially melted. Just replace with an oem part or ????

·
Registered
437 Posts
Do the lights shut off when you put the parking brake on?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Do the lights shut off when you put the parking brake on?
That was going to be my question. I would start tracing wires, see if anything is touching baremetal.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If the conector on the back of the switch is melted that's where its making contact and staying on

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Towards the end the op said they stay on even with the key out of the ignition

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still no luck. I cut the melted connector off and that still didn't shut the lights off, but I have a new switch and connector coming in the morning. Keep in mind that's with the key out of the ignition. I also tried pushing the parking brake in and no luck. The only way I've been able to shut them off, other than taking the terminals off the batteries, is to unhook the blinker switch in the column???

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I spliced in the new connector and plugged in the new switch and still no dice. Could it be that both multifunction switches I have are junk and causing this problem? I also unplugged the Daytime Running Light module (underneath the driveside headlight) and that didn't affect anything either?

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Are you disconnecting just the turn signal switch, or everything on the multifunction switch (sorry, I don't know offhand if there are separate connectors or it's all one). If it's the whole thing, then the headlight beam switch feature on the multifunction switch is the prime suspect. Does the beam switch physically seem to work properly (spring toward you and back to neutral position for flash-to-pass, push and hold away from you for high beam, pull back to neutral position for low beam)?

Now, after fixing the headlight switch pigtail, are the parking lights on, or just the headlights? Can you tell whether it's the low or high beams?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The multifunction switch has two plugs, I'm not sure what each one controls, but the upper one has no affect, just the lower one. The switch seems to work perfectly while the motor is running. The blinkers, hazards, and high low selector works great. And to clarify its just the low beams that stay on when the truck is off and key out, but something funny I noticed was the high beam indicator on the dash stays light up too?

·
Registered
4,285 Posts
Sorry 'bout the delay. According to the EVTM, that lower connector has the wires for the headlight beam mojo, and the wipers. So just for grins, try pulling the wiper fuse, and plug the multifunction switch connector back in, just to see what effect that might have, if any.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I finally found it :woot: turned out that the loom to the multifunction switch was worn through on a dash support. Got it all spliced up and we're good to go. Thanks for the help guys.:thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts