Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it hard to wire up all your gauges? i have read the instruction and it sounds confussing. anybody know how to wire them up that would help me out? i only have the egt and boost gauge.

·
Registered
215 Posts
ive done it before on my chevy, an i will be doing prolly this week on my truck now. i dont think it should be to bad if you have a voltmeter to find power wires

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have read that you need to hook up the wiring to the fuse box using a kit?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so hooking up the lighting, ground, and sensors not hard. the senors and ground will be easy. its the lighting. how would you hook it up?

·
Registered
215 Posts
if you didnt care about the lights being on in the day time, then hook them up to 12v when the key is in the on/run position. or you could hook then up so when you turn you headlights on, they come on with them. if you do that youll have to find light switch wires an go from there

·
Shaking the Bush Boss
9,740 Posts
I done it on my 96 f250. I tapped into my lights at the switch. Take a test light and probe which is hot with the lights on. Then you can probe which one dims the interior lights. My fuel tank selector is right beside my headlight switch, and I tapped into it for my 12v power source. You can also use a multi meter to probe the wires.
You can tap into the fuse box using a "tap a fuse" I know my local Twlight Zone carries them.

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
Diesel manor has a great set of instructions to help you out. go here..

Install sheet

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
i have read that you need to hook up the wiring to the fuse box using a kit?
yeah here is a pic of the add a circuit i did on my truck for power to the guages

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
if you follow the directions, it will tell you where to tap into for power. you dont have to have a test light, the wires are all color coded, you ll just need to tap into the illumination wire found behind your switch assembly. for your 12v power, there is a customer access wire under the dash, by your OBDII port, that is alread cut for these kinds of needs. there is no need to tap anywhere else. i believe the instructions talk about that wire. as for grounds, you can put al the grounds together and find a common place to ground the gauges. it is real simple, i know it seems overwhelming but it isnt. i would not tap into the MAP line for the boost gauge, i would drill into the intake elbow, you will get a better reading and no flutter in your guage. the tranny sensor is real easy. the pyro, is a bit tougher, but not impossible. make sure you tap into your manifold, drivers side, close to the back of the manifold. you will get a more accurate reading there. if you have any questions let me know. ill help with what i can.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
ohh yeah and the only other is the wire that goes to your headlight switch ...you need to tap into it so when you turn your lights on your guages light up....i can take a pic of the wire you need to tap into

·
Premium Member
13,244 Posts
i belive that one is blue with a red tracer. the gauges will come on when lights are turned on. i can double check for ya if you want.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
here is a real good write up on install
Auto Meter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts