Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find the wireing diagram for a 2005 f250?
I would like in particular the integrated brake control wireing with color codes etc. think with a couple diodes and jumpers an upfitter switch could be made to set the trailer brakes on the pre march 05 brake control / tow command setup

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks

that is the first step in the project.
Deal is with the pre march 05 trucks the tow command will not let you lock up the trailer brakes with the "paddle" on the dash when you are stopped. To slide a slider 5 wheel hitch (I don't have one yet but looking into it with the short bed) works best to lock the trailer brakes and give a little pull or push with the truck. Followed one thread they were pulling the pin on the breakaway switch to set the trailer brakes.
Figure if I can find the right place in the wireing should be able to do a diode or
circuit so the integrated control works per drawing with the ability to over ride it with a switch to lock the trailer brakes for a slide hitch or just to make sure the hookup is good before lifting the landing gear.

·
Registered
559 Posts
there's a wire thats positive all the time, it's the one's that's used to charge the battery for the breakaway, what if you jumped that wire to the electric brake wire and wired into one of the toggle's? when you flip the toggle it should put power to the brakes wire and lock trailer brakes. I have no clue if it will work and when it comes to wiring I'm totally out of my comfort zone, I only do it when I have to like today. there's a diagram on the lid where the pig tail plugs into your truck connection that tells you what each prong is for

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is the idea I was working at, I don't know if the IBC would like power being backed up on it's output so I had in mind a couple of high current diodes, one in line from the brake controler to the brake line and one from the switch to the brake line for some isolation. You only drop about .75 volts across a good diode so should be able to make up for that with the gain setting.
Haven't tried it yet, have to get ahold of Dexter and find out how much current the brakes draw at max to get big enough diodes (or measure resistance of brake system and do the ohms law thing)

·
Registered
559 Posts
that is the idea I was working at, I don't know if the IBC would like power being backed up on it's output so I had in mind a couple of high current diodes, one in line from the brake controler to the brake line and one from the switch to the brake line for some isolation. You only drop about .75 volts across a good diode so should be able to make up for that with the gain setting.
Haven't tried it yet, have to get ahold of Dexter and find out how much current the brakes draw at max to get big enough diodes (or measure resistance of brake system and do the ohms law thing)

the most we got out of mine today was 3 volts, with the gain set at 10 with full output

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what is the build date for your truck, I found this - mine falls in the built in Dec. 2004
class so it will not set up the trailer brakes when not in motion.

2005 F-Series Super Duty Factory Trailer Brake Controller Tips: Diagnosis procedures for the Towcommand system is in the workshop manual, section 206-10, Auxiliary Brake System. All voltage tests sould be made with the controller at the maximum gain setting of 10.0. Brake controller output voltage increases with vehicle speed. In park with the controller fully applied manualy, the output voltage on trucks built before 3-23-05 should be greater than 1-3 volts; after 3-23-05 greater than 10-12 volts. Controller output with the brake pedal is the same for either build dates. Full voltage is only available above 15 MPH. The Towcommand system works in both forward and reverse. Broadcast Message 3286, 4312.
When installing an aftermarket controller on trucks equiped with a factory installed controller, the factory one must be left intact and the aftermarket controller installed separately. Broadcast Message 3332, 4080.
The Towcommand system is ment to only work with electric trailer brakes and not surge or electric over hydraulic brake systems. Broadcast Message 3179.

·
Registered
559 Posts
mine was built 11-04 I believe I know it was a early 05 like yours and was built in 04, that explains a ton, I was trying to lock the trailer brakes out yesterday with the trailer jacked up and just spinning the tire and applying the brake in the truck, or just using the gain test buttons

1 - 8 of 8 Posts