Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the wyoming cold caused the inevitable... (Also previous owner neglect). Anyway 3 injectors are sticking pretty good so I decided it's time to replace them with some warren 155/stocks and not use a bandaid oil additive. I'm also removing the Edge juice with attitude tuner and buying the SCT livewire TS and custom tunes loaded from innovative to push fuel out the 155's. I'd be willing to trade the Edge tuner for??? PM me about that.

Now I've seen mixed reviews/opinions about fuel systems and what to use to keep 155's properly fueled. ADII is a no, FASS maybe (if I can get some testimony), second HFCM (I'd like to use one HFCM per bank with 2 separate fuel bowls to make it open loop on each bank) but I see that being pricy, or just doing the regulated return.

Please chime in and tell me what has worked for you. I'm not trying to build a race truck. Just wanted a little extra pepp and reliability. Also ICP was good, FICM was good and powerbalance found injectors 1,4,7 sticking intermittently. No MIL or DTC's and I just changed the oil a week ago. Rotella T-6 year round.

·
Registered
430 Posts
To be honest your stock system should be able to keep up with the extra demand of fuel as long as your stock pump is healthy, but it's not a bad idea to get a regulated return.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been reading that alot. I know my stock pump is doing it's job (but I can't be sure it's STRONG) 65-70 psi idle and 43psi initial -50ish psi constant at WOT. I'd like to look into going above and beyond since I'm dropping coin on injectors and the HFCM may be at the end of it's lifespan and give me no notice until I pop in the 155's.

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
If you don't have any plans to go bigger than 155s, I'd say just put a new OEM one back in. It'll be the cheapest and most reliable IMO. Then you can do a RR kit and you'll be golden. Hope this helps. Fwiw, your fuel pressure isn't that low, I just wouldn't want it dropping any lower.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate the input! And yeah when the pressure drops that low I usually back off some. It happens 1/3 of all WOT runs but never drops lower than 43.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Do you pull a lot? I installed 175/stock injectors and I love them. Fun street injector, and you can have a good tow file written and can tow max weight.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bought 155/stock injectors from Warren. I wish I got the 175/stocks. It idles up and down from what I've read to the spill ports being plugged to achieve the 155 size. I'm not sure about the 175's but I wish I didn't want a slightly larger set after I have had them out already. Something to think about. I know I won't being trying to pull sleds or 20,000lb trailers in mountains so....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for all the input guys. I do pull heavy(ish). Usually one or two cars on a gooseneck and occasionally a bumper pull camper. I'm honestly not looking for a race/street setup. I'll buy a 6.4 or a 6.7 if I decide to get a truck that'll cook down the 1/4 mile. I'd probably have to do a southbend clutch if I went any bigger than 155cc. I'll do a southbend when my current clutch lets go but I'd like to prolong the inevitable.

And just a quick update. I changed the fuel filters to motorcraft and I'm seeing 71psi idle and the lowest I've seen the pressure drop is 65psi. Also, just to be sure, I cleaned the EBP sensor and tube. Lastly, I disconnected my tuner hoping a file may have been corrupt... No dice. I still get a nice low/mid range sputter. Ran a check on ICP again still in range. EOT and ECT still in range. Powerbalance still shows 1,4,7 intermittent stick. Still waiting for my buddy to open up a stall in his shop so I can start pulling injectors. I'm hoping to have it done by thanksgiving because I'm making a trip to Albuquerque and I don't like my wifes car in the mountains. Wish me luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought 155/stock injectors from Warren. I wish I got the 175/stocks. It idles up and down from what I've read to the spill ports being plugged to achieve the 155 size. I'm not sure about the 175's but I wish I didn't want a slightly larger set after I have had them out already. Something to think about. I know I won't being trying to pull sleds or 20,000lb trailers in mountains so....
Where did you read the spill ports are plugged to achieve 155cc? I'm not doubting what you said or that the ports aren't plugged. I'm more curious to read the thread to see what all goes into the process. I was always under the impression spill ports were plugged when the plunger was shaved past a certain point (ie. ≥ .0003" shaved would have to be plugged)<-- I doubt this is correct but just an example. But I would like to read the thread to help better understand the process. Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I need some help gents
Ok so the battle with finding a shop that will work with me and my warrantee has proven difficult. The original person I was going to have write up a quote backed out for reasons unknown. Second shop told me they only fix stuff as it breaks and they won't install performance parts with the after market warrantees. So... Here's what I'm trying to do. I've proven at least 3 injectors are bad. Power balance only shows so much and I'm willing to bet all 8 are bad if flow tested. So what I want to do is have a shop write me a quote for 8 bad injectors ($2500 parts + labor). Next part may seem sketchy to some but here it goes. Use the $2500 quote to budget and to send off my current injectors to warren diesel to be worked over to 155cc/stock nozzle ($600) and use the remainder to purchase a tuner and tunes from innovative. I also want to address my seeping valve covers and aged stand pipe and dummy plug o rings. Is there any shop owner in the Colorado/Nebraska/Wyoming area willing to help me?? Nate aka windrunner408 has put together a quote on the built injectors for me and I'd like to stay true to my word and do business with him. He also quoted me a good price now all I need is a shop to quote and build my truck then bill my warrantee company. Please PM me if you can help me! I really want to get this done without putting stock injectors in my truck and it would be a great opportunity to make a quick buck if you owned a small shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts