Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Winter Tire Suggestion

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  reighnman 
#1 ·
I have an 08' F-350 Harley Davidson and I am looking for a good set of Winter Rated tires. I am looking for a tire that fits my stock 20'' rims, most likely 275 65 20r. The plan is to put them on the stock rims then get new rims next year for the summer or grab another set of stock Harley rims. My issue is that I live in British Columbia, Canada and you need winter rated tires to keep your vehicle insurance valid on certain highways. Lots of truck tires are rated for mud and snow but they have to have the little symbol that has a triangle with a snow flake on it. I thought it would be a simple thing to find but I am having troubles finding many tires that fit my needs. I am looking to buy the tires online from the states because they are literally half the price than purchasing locally. So if anyone has suggestions It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
goodyear duratrac is snow rated with the flake. alot of guys love them, and they get pretty good mileage out of them too

#3 · (Edited)
I was in the same boat as you and I live just south of your boarder. Several guys told me in a previous post that the Michelins LTX A/T2 did good in snow. I found a set on Craig's List for $600 (LT275/65R20). They had less than 30 miles on them before the previous owner had 36" tires and a lift installed. I mean these had the injection stubs still sticking out of them. I figure I can chain up a couple of times for the savings on replacing 20" tires. However, I don't expect that much trouble with a sled deck or a 4 place V-nove behind me this winter. Good Luck

#8 ·
They'll do okay in the snow, but BC requires you to have winter-rated tires on some roads. It's a pretty big pain in the ***.

I was about to pull the trigger on some Nitto Terra Grapplers from Discount Tire until I got to the checkout and there was like $400+ in shipping, duty, and tax added to the price. The tires were cheaper to buy in town than to buy them from the US.
Any official nitto retailer won't ship them to Canada anyways, because of Kal Tire's deal with Nitto.

I had a set of Trail Grapplers on my last truck and they were less than half the price to buy them in the states from Discount Tire Direct, ship them to a warehouse in Montana, and drive to pick them up from near Edmonton.

BFG All-Terrain T/A's are rated for snow in specific sizes. The stock size (275/60/20) is not, but you could go to a 285/55/20 or a 285/65/20 and those sizes ARE winter rated.

I would personally run DuraTrac's though. I don't think they're quite as good as a Toyo or Trail Grappler in super deep powder, but they're 90% as good and great on icy roads. You can even have them studded.

#5 ·
The duratracs have the snow flake symbol on them

#7 ·
I am looking to buy the tires online from the states because they are literally half the price than purchasing locally.
I was about to pull the trigger on some Nitto Terra Grapplers from Discount Tire until I got to the checkout and there was like $400+ in shipping, duty, and tax added to the price. The tires were cheaper to buy in town than to buy them from the US.

#10 ·
Duratrac's are great, I am running DMV1's this winter but next winter I will probably try out some Toyo WLT1, real commercial winter tire that can handle whatever we throw at the truck. The DMV1's meet the weight rating but not a true 10ply, I don't mind this winter as I am not hauling anything but next winter I plan on it.

Anyone in Calgary or area that needs tires I can do my best for you guys.

#11 ·
The cheapest I can find the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs in town are 396 per tire from fountain tire. Getting tires from the states isnt really a pain for me because my friend works in Sumas and is 5 minutes from Ship Happens. So far I'm still looking to save over 300 hundred dollars getting them from the states. Ill keep my eyes open. Anyone know somewhere in BC that has good prices. Winter is coming!!!

#12 ·
I wanted duratracs last year but they were out of stock before November and hard to get. I'm glad I didn't after all since I'm happy with what I have now.

Ended up with Hankook Dynapro ATM R10's (10ply rated E/126 index), they do well in the ice/rain/dry pavement and excellent wear (hoping to get at least 60,000 miles). They don't do so well in the mud/deep snow but I'm more concerned with ice/slush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DSNI695wP0

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.