Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys it is that time of the year again, I live in North Texas and we just had our first Freeze last night. This is my first year with my PSD and I am wondering when it is a good time to plug it in @ what temperature Plus I am wondering about warming it up how long to let it idle etc.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
first off,what year truck?any mods?you should fill out your sig so we can better help you.i live in florida so i wont be much help,some one will though,goodluck

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No mods except for a grill I dont know what it is called like a sports grill , built in CB radio , BF good wrench all terrain tires 2001 7.3 Liter super duty Lariat I bought it when the market hit the fan and loving it

·
Super Moderator
31,744 Posts
I plug mine in when it hits 20 degrees normally. Its on a timer to come on 3 hours before i go to work

·
Super Moderator
31,744 Posts
Wont hurt a thing but your electric bill

·
Don't mind me
27,563 Posts
Like Dave I don't plug mine in until it hits about 20 or below. That being said if it is below about 45 I will let it idle for about 10 minutes before the first trip of the day.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
i plug in when it gets below 30. they dont draw much. when i get off work i plug it in when i get home and let it go till the mornin. i gotta get one for this truck lol

·
scuffs *****
5,270 Posts
I have yet to plug mine in, hit 26 degrees last week but been oddly warm latley. I got a new high speed starter that will wind the s*** outta the motor is has to start! But once it stays around 20 or colder I will plug it in. If its plugged in, let it idle for like 10 mins because it will be warm will you start it. If its unplugged and its cold out let it idle for like 20 or it will run like s***.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Like Dave I don't plug mine in until it hits about 20 or below. That being said if it is below about 45 I will let it idle for about 10 minutes before the first trip of the day.
Plug mine in at about 20F. I let mine idle for about 90 seconds... about the time it takes for the glow plugs to turn off

i plug in when it gets below 30. they dont draw much. when i get off work i plug it in when i get home and let it go till the mornin. i gotta get one for this truck lol

They actaully draw a lot... the heater is 1600 watts IIRC

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
really? are you positive its 1600 watts? i kused to keep mine plugged in all night and never seen a huge increase in my electricbill

·
Registered
180 Posts
just ran a fast search, I found a lot of people claim 1000W on up to 1800W.

It looks like 1000W is the most common

$$.1136 per KWH here in MI once the taxes and junk are piled on....
plugged in at 10 hours a day, 30 days a mo is 300KWH * .1136 = $34 a month

·
Registered
243 Posts
when you plug in the heater does a light come on or something to indicate its on?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I plug mine in any night the temp is 30 degrees or lower. I plug it in just before I go to bed and leave it that way until I start it in the morning. If I don't plug my truck in she runs aweful at first. When plugged in it cranks over like a champ and runs MUCH smoother at start up. I also use 10W 30 motor oil during the winter months...in fact I just treated the truck to new blood today. Anything I can do to help keep my truck happy;)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I haven't plugged my truck in all winter yet here in Alaska, its gotten down to the low teens and it has always started fine and ran great, I dont really have a set driving schedule so plugging in dont work for me as of now...it just takes a little longer to warm up...now on my old GM 6.2 diesel, If I didn't plug that in, she didn't want to start below 15* not so with my stroke though. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I plug mine it whenever its gets below 40.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've got mine plugged in right now. Of course, its snowing ever so slightly out right now.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts