Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK may not for a while but its dropped this week from lows being in the 90s to yesterday morning it was a balmy 65. And this has got me thinking, ive been told below about 45 it helps to plug in your block heater. I don't want to leave her plugged in all night. I know the temps but at an avg for lets say around 30 deg. At what point "in theory " is your block heater done heating and just maintaining. If that makes sense

My plan is to have it on a timer to kick in about 2hrs prior to start up. Good idea? Bad idea?
Also does it do harm other than just wear on ur heater to leave it plugged in for long periods?

Any other winter prechecks/fluids swaps/pos checks to do. I've been running this rig about daily with no issues. I just don't want to get caught with my pants down. Even more so since I've about gotten my wife talked in to getting rid of her hummer. So the 350 will be the primary winter pig

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
As long as your glow plugs are good and you're glow plug relay is good, I don't see the need for you to plug it in a 30 degrees.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i dont plug my truck in till its gonna be below 20 degrees and thats below 20 degrees for 8-12 hours. but i got a 6.0 not a 7.3 and once its below 20 i just leave that soab plugged in till i start it sometimes that thing is plugged in for a week straight without a single start lol

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much extra electric does it run at the house being plugged in like that?

·
Premium Member
3,940 Posts
I've found the block heater only adds about thirty degrees to ambient temperature. Up here winter temps as cold as -35 C are common and I don't plug mine in until -15 C. I cycle the glow plugs a few times before starting. Four hours of plug in time is plenty, any longer is just a waste of power. There's a formula to convert the wattage to kw hours which you can figure out the cost by looking at the kw hour rate on your power bill.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I don't plug mine in until about 25. Though in NC we don't get that too often. Three hours should be sufficient unless you're like 20 below

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well in okc i dont think we will see -20. it will get down in the 20s for a few weeks. some times lower. but for the most part, a "normal" winter it will hover in the lower 30sish.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
Plug in the truck??? Cold??? What's that?

Just play'en, I'm in LA.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
well in okc i dont think we will see -20. it will get down in the 20s for a few weeks. some times lower. but for the most part, a "normal" winter it will hover in the lower 30sish.
It should start fine at 20, maybe with a little hesitation. But plugging it in will give you heat much quicker.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will

·
Registered
274 Posts
I don't plug in anymore... Good glow plugs and charging system. Fuel additive and changed over to synthetic oil and she fires right up in the winter. That and i found it a little pointless to plug it in for a few hours at home but not have the ability to do it at work

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I don't plug in anymore... Good glow plugs and charging system. Fuel additive and changed over to synthetic oil and she fires right up in the winter. That and i found it a little pointless to plug it in for a few hours at home but not have the ability to do it at work
cant do mine at work either but i do plug in at home its gonna be pretty cold so i dont got to run her for 15 minutes in the driveway before i head to work i work overnights and i dont like to annoy the neighbors

as for how much power does it take? no idea and i dont care. i dont see a jump in the electric bill probably less than 10 dollars a month to keep it plugged in for 12 hours a day every day of the week all month.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Plug in the truck??? Cold??? What's that?

Just play'en, I'm in LA.
hate you. i grew up just out side of palm spring so i feel ur pain.

seasons.... who needs um right:laugh:

It should start fine at 20, maybe with a little hesitation. But plugging it in will give you heat much quicker.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will
that will help because im a big va-j in the winter. working out side doesnt help

ive got one parking spot at work with a plug right there. so i may have to utilize it. rumor is im going to work the grave shift all winter so it might work out in my favor

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I hardly ever plugged mine in last winter and only had an issue once when the old batteries froze and that was with 2 gp that wouldn't light up.

·
Registered
241 Posts
IIRC, the block heater draws 1000 watts, so running it for 1 hour is equivalent to 1kw hour. Should be about 8 or 9 cents/hour depending where you live if my math is correct.

You could just join the Webasto club like me and never look back :nod:

·
Registered
257 Posts
I plug in, it gets down in the -30's here in winter. I start plugging in around + 35. If nothing else you should plug in to keep your oil from thickening for startups and switch to a lighter weight anyhow. Maybe just get a wolverine oil pan heater?

·
Diesel Freak
713 Posts
I think if temps aren't too low put it on a timer set a couple hours ahead save some energy lol 1000w is alot and I know those pan warmers are no good compared to the block heater and one shocked the crap out of me too on pleasant damp morning.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
OK may not for a while but its dropped this week from lows being in the 90s to yesterday morning it was a balmy 65. And this has got me thinking, ive been told below about 45 it helps to plug in your block heater. I don't want to leave her plugged in all night. I know the temps but at an avg for lets say around 30 deg. At what point "in theory " is your block heater done heating and just maintaining. If that makes sense

My plan is to have it on a timer to kick in about 2hrs prior to start up. Good idea? Bad idea?
Also does it do harm other than just wear on ur heater to leave it plugged in for long periods?

Any other winter prechecks/fluids swaps/pos checks to do. I've been running this rig about daily with no issues. I just don't want to get caught with my pants down. Even more so since I've about gotten my wife talked in to getting rid of her hummer. So the 350 will be the primary winter pig
I've heard something about 7.3s and I guess diesel engines in general that it is best to plug it in as soon as you pull into the driveway. Something about keeping it warmed up so it doesn't have a massive swing from ambient to running temp.

It may be bull, but I run block heater all the time in the winter. I like treating my girl right and still let it idle for 5 minutes in winter to get everything good to go. It cuts down on smoke and instant heat is sure nice.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I live in CO, and my truck sits for 10-11 hours at a time at work, with no access to a plug in. It's sat it -10 to -20*F temps for that stretch of time, and always cranks right up. Granted, it's pretty grump for a few minutes, but she never fails. I think as long as your glow-plug system is in good shape and you have good strong batteries, you shouldn't have any problems. I also run 5w40 synthetic, which made winter starts noticeably easier.

·
Diesel Freak
713 Posts
Go ahead and delete the EBPV and pedistal so we dont have to hear you whine about it closing intermittently and restricting your power lol

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IIRC, the block heater draws 1000 watts, so running it for 1 hour is equivalent to 1kw hour. Should be about 8 or 9 cents/hour depending where you live if my math is correct.

You could just join the Webasto club like me and never look back :nod:
What is this Webasto club?

I've heard something about 7.3s and I guess diesel engines in general that it is best to plug it in as soon as you pull into the driveway. Something about keeping it warmed up so it doesn't have a massive swing from ambient to running temp.

It may be bull, but I run block heater all the time in the winter. I like treating my girl right and still let it idle for 5 minutes in winter to get everything good to go. It cuts down on smoke and instant heat is sure nice.
If it were just me she would stay in the garage (about 50 deg) but the wife gets *****ie when i shake the walls from my exhaust. She hated my last mustang

1 - 20 of 38 Posts