Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've cleaned and cleaned. The black spots you do see can't be felt with your fingernail. Do they still need to be cleaned off?
And here is what I'm using to clean with along with some brake cleaner. Its softer than it looks and is not removing metal at all.

Sent from my DROID X2 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Hehe.....looks good. You will never get all that off, unless you deck the block. You might be interested to know that ford recommends only wooden our plastic scrapers. Crazy huh? Youll want to try to get those coolant ports cleaned out too.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm gonna clean those coolant ports out. Best idea I can think of is stick water hose in water pump outlet and let it flush out, then pull the plugs. What have other guys done? I don't have a shop vac so that is out.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Yeah, I'm gonna clean those coolant ports out. Best idea I can think of is stick water hose in water pump outlet and let it flush out, then pull the plugs. What have other guys done? I don't have a shop vac so that is out.

That sounds like a mess, check out tuscany's build thread. He made an adapter, and used a shop vac. Maybe you can borrow one from a friend.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/showthread.php?t=267064

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It'll be messy but I'm parked over grass, not in a garage or shop. I seen his adapter, great idea if I had a shop vac.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Hopefully you have a coolant filter. Remember whatever you can't get out will end up in the oil cooler. I wouldnt let water sit on or around the piston rings. Jmo. Looks good.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do have a coolant filter. Thats another reason I'm thinking flush with water, it'd have a better chance of getting that crap out I would think. I've been keeping the pistons and cylinders clean as I go, don't need any rust forming on there.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The green pad is actually working pretty good, just takes some time and elbow grease. Its actually what taco bell uses to clean the griddle they toast tortillas on. I delivery to them and got one of my customers to give me a pack. They don't last long though. Went through 4 of them on one side. got to get some more tonight.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Just use what I told you to. You will never get all the raised "black rust" spots off with that scotch pad. That's why most techs use a flat bar stock to prep the decks cause it will scrape all that garbage off and not scratch the deck.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hate to sound like a complete iidiot here, but what is a paint roller scraper? I have been running that through my head since you posted that and can't picture it? Again sorry for the potentially stupid question.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I've got to admit, i've seen/used one of those a million times. Never knew thats what it was called, I see the concept. Hehe.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Same here southend. Hey, learn something new everyday. I've got a putty knife and been using it some too. I'd assume the same thing, but is there any significant difference Tuscany?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I think they are quite stiff, good tool. The "putty knife" is more flexible.

·
WWW.COMPIGNTECH.COM
8,777 Posts
Yeah it's stiffer with a FLAT straight edge not sharpened and it peals that garbage right off the deck no problems. It's a lot less work and it works great. Just make sure not to catch an edge. You still have to be careful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts