Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 f250 that needs the cluster repaired but I need to drive the truck. Can I take the cluster out and still drive the truck?

·
Premium Member
6,812 Posts
Ayup, will run just fine

·
Premium Member
9,063 Posts
I would think a Lot of other stuff isn't though ;)

Remember, in an '02, that the cluster replaced the GEM Module so, it's much more than just your "instruments"....

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
I read a lot about swaps of clusters on the analog trucks too. swap a low milage wrecked cluster onto a high milage fleet truck and give it a wash and wax and now you have a $5k truck selling for $15-20k. It would be caught with dmv mileage reports but we all know how reliable goberment records are.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I figured my radio and windows wouldn't work but I'm ok with that that. I just need to drive it back and forth to work for a few days while the cluster is being repaired by Circuit Board Medics. I am having the intermittent power outages right now with it.

·
Premium Member
6,812 Posts
Yeah, there will be stuff that does not work, ...but the truck will still drive to work and back

and yeah, a 6.0 will also drive without the instrument cluster

Reactions: Buddylee

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Ok update on this. The truck did start and run but now the batteries are dead and I'm stuck at work lol. I'm guessing that the alternator is not being told to charge the batteries. I'm now worried that if I do jump it that I won't make it home because my air dog pump might run out of juice.

·
Premium Member
10,660 Posts
the earlier powerstrokes have an infamously lousy charging system so if your batteries are say 3 or more years old probably best to replace them once your cluster is back. Do you have the ability to bum a ride to/from work or use a spare car till the cluster gets back to you?

·
Premium Member
6,812 Posts
Ok update on this. The truck did start and run but now the batteries are dead and I'm stuck at work lol. I'm guessing that the alternator is not being told to charge the batteries. I'm not worried that if I do jump it that I won't make it home because my air dog pump might run out of juice.
yeah, forgot about that part -- you need to connect a light bulb to the alternator excite wire to get it to charge
a truck clearance light (bulb type) will work -- one of those yellow or red like you see on the flat beds
the "charge" light in the instrument cluster does this, aand since you dont have a cluster = no charge

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the earlier powerstrokes have an infamously lousy charging system so if your batteries are say 3 or more years old probably best to replace them once your cluster is back. Do you have the ability to bum a ride to/from work or use a spare car till the cluster gets back to you?
Yep already been through that last year lol. Had to put in a new alternator and batteries. I am going to try to find a ride now. I thought the cluster would be back this week but shipping was stupid expensive and I had to send it slower than I wanted to.

yeah, forgot about that part -- you need to connect a light bulb to the alternator excite wire to get it to charge
a truck clearance light (bulb type) will work -- one of those yellow or red like you see on the flat beds
the "charge" light in the instrument cluster does this, aand since you dont have a cluster = no charge
If I jump the truck will it make enough power to run the fuel pump without the light mod on the alternator? I just need to get it home at this point.

·
Premium Member
6,812 Posts
Connector C220b terminal 12 Lg/Rd is the wire that leads to the alternator
you could connect a lamp (bulb type test light or clearance light) to this and the other side of the bulb to B+ (has to be switched)

C220c (I done see a wire color) is the 'hot' wire for the light

Yeah, jump it but leave the jump vehicle on the truck a while -- the battery is low and you dont want to over heat your alternator trying to charge low batteries

do you have a source for a small light where you are?
parts store, big truck shop?
just a test light would work
usually the light does not have to be connected all the time, just a hit to "excite" the alternator

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Connector C220b terminal 12 Lg/Rd is the wire that leads to the alternator
you could connect a lamp (bulb type test light or clearance light) to this and the other side of the bulb to B+ (has to be switched)

C220c (I done see a wire color) is the 'hot' wire for the light

Yeah, jump it but leave the jump vehicle on the truck a while -- the battery is low and you dont want to over heat your alternator trying to charge low batteries

do you have a source for a small light where you are?
parts store, big truck shop?
just a test light would work
usually the light does not have to be connected all the time, just a hit to "excite" the alternator
Unfortunately I don't have access to any of this at work and no parts store close. Do you think I could jump the truck and not excite the battery and still drive it home? I have a feeling that the air dog pump will quit when it drains that battries.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help and ideas guys. Ended up calling GEICO and using my free roadside to have it towed home. I will charge the batteries and work on exciting the alternator like Hydro said this weekend.

·
Premium Member
6,812 Posts
Low batteries are really not good for the IDM

I apologize for not thinking about the alternator, when I suggested driving without the cluster.

Exciting the alternator with a marker light (incandescent) will get you by until the cluster gets back to you
any auto parts or walmart should have them

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Low batteries are really not good for the IDM

I apologize for not thinking about the alternator, when I suggested driving without the cluster.

Exciting the alternator with a marker light (incandescent) will get you by until the cluster gets back to you
any auto parts or walmart should have them
Don't worry about it, I knew something like this was a possibility. Good info on the low batteries being bad for the IDM, I had no idea about that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I did not think you could...but not starting seems to ring a bell when I sent my cluster in. Two years tho, and the left side bulbs are burnt out. Thank you circuit board medics.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did not think you could...but not starting seems to ring a bell when I sent my cluster in. Two years tho, and the left side bulbs are burnt out. Thank you circuit board medics.
You had it fixed a couple of years ago and the lights are already burned out, or you had it fixed because lights are burned out?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts